Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Do you game and what series is your favorite?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Do you game and what series is your favorite?
Yes
No
The Legend of Zelda
Halo
Call of Duty
Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts
Prince of Persia
Lego(any)
Grand Theft Auto
The Lord of the Rings
Other
View Results (83 votes)

RangerLady23
Lorien

Sep 18 2013, 4:35pm

Post #1 of 32 (493 views)
Shortcut
Do you game and what series is your favorite? Can't Post

I allowed multiple answers on this, so vote first on whether you are a gamer or not and then on the favorite series. Mine is Zelda, but I am a big fan of Kingdom Hearts too and my mother and I love playing the Lego games together. We laugh a lot and have so much fun that we don't care if they are maybe geared towards younger audiences.

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 18 2013, 8:56pm

Post #2 of 32 (335 views)
Shortcut
Fallout [In reply to] Can't Post

The Sims is a close second.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 18 2013, 11:29pm

Post #3 of 32 (321 views)
Shortcut
Board games [In reply to] Can't Post

I've played a few board games with my grown sons.

Small World was fun and I enjoyed 7 Wonders.

A few weeks ago, we played Forbidden Desert but we found it unwinnable and we didn't enjoy it all that much.

I was assuming that the term 'gamer' here encompassed board games (and RPG table top?) games and not just computer/game console games although... you've only offered options for computer/console games.

:-)

TheNazgul
Rivendell

Sep 19 2013, 12:19am

Post #4 of 32 (329 views)
Shortcut
This is interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually find the lack of gamers around odd. Personally I love Kingdom Hearts even though it may seem aimed at kids there is no way that a little kid is going to understand the story line ( it's sketchy for most adults tooSmile ) I Also love Zelda and the Final Fantasy series and i have in recent years become quite fond of survival horror such as Resident Evil Dead Space and Silent Hill.

(This post was edited by TheNazgul on Sep 19 2013, 12:20am)

Escapist
Gondor

Sep 19 2013, 12:26am

Post #5 of 32 (318 views)
Shortcut
Gaming can mean so many different things. [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to play Zelda, LOTRO, PSO, and old school Mario Brothers. These days I am not so into video games and prefer party games like Apples to Apples or the card game "Mafia". I have a group of long-standing friends who are big "gamers" but to them that means table-top RPGs, GURPS specifically - and complex strategy board between things like Axis to Allies (but not that one specifically most of the time) to things like Settlers of Catan. I also play MTG (strictly EDH) and have a collection of games like Mancala around.

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2013, 3:44am

Post #6 of 32 (309 views)
Shortcut
I was spoiled by tabletop RPGs. [In reply to] Can't Post

So when I tried computer games, I was frustrated that I was limited to choosing actions that the programmers had already mapped out. I like to think outside the box.

13thHour
Rivendell

Sep 19 2013, 7:38am

Post #7 of 32 (318 views)
Shortcut
Yes, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I didn't vote for a series because I've honestly never played a series where I enjoyed every single installment. There is always a disappointment in there somewhere.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 19 2013, 1:48pm

Post #8 of 32 (291 views)
Shortcut
I prefer tabletop rpgs to videogames [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite concole games are the Final Fantasy series, Lunar, and The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age (with nostalgic shout-outs to the Eye of the Beholder series and Dungeon Master for the Amiga). However, my real gamer love goes to Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the WIld, and other pencil, paper and dice games from D20 Modern to Call of Cthulhu.

Luinnįr
Rivendell

Sep 19 2013, 3:25pm

Post #9 of 32 (300 views)
Shortcut
Minecraft! [In reply to] Can't Post

It is one of the only video games I play now. I usually enjoy building underground cities and secret rooms.

CaptainMorgan
The Shire

Sep 19 2013, 3:38pm

Post #10 of 32 (303 views)
Shortcut
Arrr! Sid Meier's Pirates! [In reply to] Can't Post

Arrrrr!

(This post was edited by CaptainMorgan on Sep 19 2013, 3:44pm)

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2013, 3:51pm

Post #11 of 32 (285 views)
Shortcut
Pathfinder [In reply to] Can't Post

I am coming very late to this and am playing both tabletop (face to face) and online in two games. It's a lot of fun.

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2013, 3:59pm

Post #12 of 32 (286 views)
Shortcut
Weigh anchor, me buckoes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Th' course be laid fer Monkey Island, says I!

Sam20
Lorien

Sep 19 2013, 10:48pm

Post #13 of 32 (286 views)
Shortcut
Game [In reply to] Can't Post

I am not really a gamer in terms of video game. In fact I do not have any XBox or Playstation and doesn't play on my computer either. Not that I don't like that, I would gladly play with friends and my brother. I should say time is precious and I am an avid reader of books and watch movies, series and listen to podcasts. That take a big part of my free time beside my personal responsabilities.

I would like to try high fantasy board games, there seems to be some very interesting stuffs out there. Though I would have a hard time finding people playing with me that share the same interest in my entourage. Who knows what the futur holds..Wink

(This post was edited by sam90 on Sep 19 2013, 10:49pm)

demnation
Rohan

Sep 20 2013, 4:22am

Post #14 of 32 (275 views)
Shortcut
I consider videogaming my main hobby [In reply to] Can't Post

Some favorite series' include

Fallout
The Elder Scrolls
The Witcher
Mass Effect
Assassins Creed
Deus Ex
Half Life
Crysis

and a few dozen others that I love but am forgetting.

(This post was edited by demnation on Sep 20 2013, 4:25am)

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2013, 6:53pm

Post #15 of 32 (262 views)
Shortcut
Your list is close to mine... [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Assassin's Creed, and Mass Effect as well, and I will add to that Bioshock, the Batman Arkham games, Dragon Age, Grand Theft Auto, and the Red Dead series. Fable used to belong to that list, but the last few Fable releases have been crap.

I have never tried any of The Witcher stuff, but I think I may have to give those a go.

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 20 2013, 8:31pm

Post #16 of 32 (246 views)
Shortcut
Arkham City is great! [In reply to] Can't Post

For the most part though I am still a paper and dice tabletop gamer.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Sep 21 2013, 1:20am

Post #17 of 32 (249 views)
Shortcut
I've only ever played one video game [In reply to] Can't Post

... and that was Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, which I borrowed off my cousin. It's a strategy game where you have to actually think (if your characters die, they stay dead; they don't respawn) so most people have never heard of it. That, or they're just like, "It's the one with Roy and Marth, right?" since a couple of the characters were in Smash Bros. *headbang*

But, really, I'm not much of a gamer. I tried a LoTR tabletop rpg with my brother once, but we were very confused, found it stupidly set up, and got ourselves into a quandary where we couldn't win because we had actually defeated all the enemies. Grr. Crazy So we gave up on it. It's now sitting in the back of my closet...

However, if you mean any games, I'm partial to the card games gin rummy and nerts. I love nerts. It's not for the faint of heart... Wink

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 21 2013, 4:03pm

Post #18 of 32 (236 views)
Shortcut
Role-playing games [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But, really, I'm not much of a gamer. I tried a LoTR tabletop rpg with my brother once, but we were very confused, found it stupidly set up, and got ourselves into a quandary where we couldn't win because we had actually defeated all the enemies. Grr. Crazy So we gave up on it. It's now sitting in the back of my closet...

Curious. Was that really an rpg, or more of a tabletop board game? The idea with an rpg is that the gamemaster keeps things going by running new adventures, whether published ones, his/her own created scenarios, or both. I have the old Middle-earth Role Playing (MERP) game from Iron Crown and Cubicle 7's current The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild. I've never had a copy of Decipher's The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying Game that came out in-between the other two (Decipher also published a LotR trading card game).

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Sep 24 2013, 2:10am

Post #19 of 32 (222 views)
Shortcut
Probably more of a tabletop boardgame [In reply to] Can't Post

As I said, I'm not much of a gamer and so I don't know the terminology very well. But it was relatively simple so it probably wasn't a real rpg. No gamemaster. Just a few tokens for enemies, cards, and dice. Even so, it was confusing and practically unwinnable. We resorted to bending the rules and finally had to break them to get all the characters to the end. Crazy It's also not fun when you're required to use a dozen plus characters and there's just the two of you. Turns took forever.

I've played LOTR Monopoly. Twice. The first time, it was shortly after the movies had come out and I had no idea what it was all about. My cousin persuaded me to play it with him. I can't remember which piece I was (do they all have the pewter playing pieces?). I think I was Galadriel (though, of course, I didn't know it then). He was Legolas. I called him 'Robin Hood' the whole time. Laugh Can't remember who won. I was awfully confused. I played it again last year, with some other relatives, and this time we all knew who everyone was and had a fun time... until the Ring landed on Mount Doom and ended the game. Darn it. I'm good at monopoly. If they had let me have a few more turns I'm sure I could have beat Sauron for control of Middle-earth... Angelic Angelic Angelic

thorinoakenshield
Rivendell

Sep 25 2013, 9:45pm

Post #20 of 32 (220 views)
Shortcut
THE ELDER SCROLLS [In reply to] Can't Post

The Elder Scrolls is the best game series of all time! Morrowind is the best!

Assassins Creed is one of the best too, along with Halo, LOTRO, Lego games are great, and Dragons Dogma is great.

FUS RO DAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(This post was edited by thorinoakenshield on Sep 25 2013, 9:50pm)

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Sep 26 2013, 11:43pm

Post #21 of 32 (188 views)
Shortcut
Kingdom Hearts [In reply to] Can't Post

While it certainly started off as a children's game, I don't think it is continuing like that. The games, to me, have gotten darker as the series progresses, and it definitely sounds like, from what they said about KHIII at E3 this year, that the final game is going to be more mature than others, in order to remain parallel to the fans who have played the game from the beginning (similar to how the HP series got darker as it went on). I'm really curious to see the direction it goes.

I love Final Fantasy too, btw. That is the series I first started off with, and it's always been near and dear to my heart Smile

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Sep 26 2013, 11:46pm

Post #22 of 32 (184 views)
Shortcut
True, but.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think one huge difference between vg series and, say, book series is the amount of time and people invested into each game. No two games are going to be produced by the same people, and there are so many elements to the game (plot, strategy, difficulty, system, graphics, etc) that go into it that it seems to be to be much easier to "mess up" a game. This is not to say that gaming is any kind of superior art, just that there are so many aspects of a game that could potentially "go wrong."

To keep my own faith in games, I like to keep up with various "indie" games that have done well (Journey, FloW, The Unfinished Swan)-- they never will be part of a series, and each game will always be made for its own sake. I do enjoy longer series like Elder Scrolls and Final Fantasy, but there is also something really special about those smaller games, too.

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Sep 26 2013, 11:48pm

Post #23 of 32 (187 views)
Shortcut
I've always wanted to play Fable [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the soundtracks to the three games (there are only three, right?)-- I just don't have the right console :/ Sometime when I have extra time and money, I'll invest in an xbox or 360 (which I think is backwards compatible) to try out the series!

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Sep 26 2013, 11:49pm

Post #24 of 32 (184 views)
Shortcut
But...but SSB is so fun... [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand the frustration, but as a massive fan of Brawl, all I can say is that I love that it puts more characters out into the spotlight. Having said that, I never would have played Fire Emblem had I not first played SS Melee and fallen in love with Marth. So, nothing wrong with that! Wink

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Sep 26 2013, 11:51pm

Post #25 of 32 (188 views)
Shortcut
I've been playing Skyrim... [In reply to] Can't Post

and loving it!! I've played Oblivion too, but not Morrowind (mostly because I'm not a PC gamer). I'm really curious to see what the next game will feature....I've heard that the Black Marshes might be a possibility? That could be fun.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.