Poll: Non Tolkien characters
Sheldon Cooper-The Big Bang Theory
Tony Stark-Iron Man
Wolverine-X-Men
Luke Skywalker-Star Wars
Han Solo-Star Wars
Link-The Legend of Zelda video games
Captain Kirk-Star Trek (Chris Pine)
Captain Kirk-Star Trek (William Shatner)
Indiana Jones
Harry Potter
Other
All of the above
View Results (53 votes)

RangerLady23
Lorien

Sep 18 2013, 4:31pm

Post #1 of 47 (849 views)
Shortcut
Non Tolkien characters Can't Post

So my question is this: based on the character itself and the actor playing them, who is your favorite non Tolkien character? I know there are a lot more pop culture figures out there but this is a brief list. I would have a hard time choosing just one, I like them all,duh, since I put them on my list.
I love Robert Downey Jr.'s version of Tony Stark, but I grew up with Star Wars, Star Trek and Indiana Jones so they mean a lot to me. I think Wolverine or Logan if you like is really cool and I have been a Harry Potter fan for a long time. Plus I watch the Big Bang theory almost every day and I really enjoy playing the Zelda games, easily the best game franchise in history!
So in short, my answer would be "all of the above"

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 18 2013, 7:28pm

Post #2 of 47 (627 views)
Shortcut
From the list I chose Han Solo. [In reply to] Can't Post

He's a cocky little beggar with a loyal heart. However I think my actual favourite non-Tolkien characters are Phedre and Joscelin from the Kushiel series of books - although its hard to be definitive with *so many* characters in books and movies to choose from!

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 18 2013, 7:45pm

Post #3 of 47 (610 views)
Shortcut
Indy for me [In reply to] Can't Post

though I agree with Ataahua, its hard to pick, and my choice probably would change with actively reading or watching something. But Indy would be a close consistent winner.

As a cartoon fan, I do love Finn. Cool

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 18 2013, 9:46pm

Post #4 of 47 (606 views)
Shortcut
Me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

If you throw the door open, I think my favorite is Granny Weatherwax from Terry Pratchett's universe, though he has lots of characters to choose from. His Death character is right up there too.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 19 2013, 12:01am

Post #5 of 47 (644 views)
Shortcut
Mal, River Tam, Mr Darcy, John Thornton, and Neytiri are a few [In reply to] Can't Post

interesting that the only choices for voting are male.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2013, 5:08am

Post #6 of 47 (693 views)
Shortcut
Princess Leia, Dr. Who, Luna Lovegood, DEATH, Troy-and-Abed...and others [In reply to] Can't Post

Princess Leia was my hero when I was a kid; she was unlike anyone I'd ever seen in movies or on TV. But I love all the characters from the orignal trilogy.

Also, Dr. Who! especially as played by Tom Baker, Peter Davison, David Tennant and Matt Smith. As well as some of his companions such as Leela, Romana (both) from the old series; and Donna and River Song from the new.

Like Aunt Dora, I love Terry Pratchett's characters. It's hard to choose just one,but, strange to say, Death is probably near the top of my list.

My favorite HP characters are some of the secondary ones like Luna Lovegood as well as Mr. and Mrs. Weasley.

I adore the little watched Community. All of the characters are great, but the friendship between socially awkward nerd, Abed, and his former jock friend turned fellow nerd, Troy, is such fun.

(This post was edited by zarabia on Sep 19 2013, 5:11am)

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 19 2013, 5:41am

Post #7 of 47 (592 views)
Shortcut
Luna almost made my list [In reply to] Can't Post

Troy-and-Abed-in-the-morning!

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 19 2013, 2:49pm

Post #8 of 47 (570 views)
Shortcut
Uhura, 7 of 9, and T'Pol [In reply to] Can't Post

Xena and Callisto.

Ichigo "Ichiko" Shirayuri.

CaptainMorgan
Bree

Sep 19 2013, 3:43pm

Post #9 of 47 (580 views)
Shortcut
Captain Jack Sparrow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Elizabeth Swann and Anamaria be favorites as well!

Me favorite Tolkien characters be the Corsairs of Umbarrrrr!!

Arrrr!

(This post was edited by CaptainMorgan on Sep 19 2013, 3:46pm)

Meneldor
Valinor

Sep 19 2013, 4:08pm

Post #10 of 47 (559 views)
Shortcut
Sparrrow?! Pfah! [In reply to] Can't Post

'E don't 'old a candle t' th' likes o' Cap'n Peter Blood. An' I've three feet o' steel fer th' belly o' th' manjack what says otherwise, by Neptune's beard!

CaptainMorgan
Bree

Sep 19 2013, 4:15pm

Post #11 of 47 (556 views)
Shortcut
Cap'n Blood? [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks more like Cap'n Spud!

Arr-arr-arr-arrr!

Meneldor
Valinor

Sep 19 2013, 4:45pm

Post #12 of 47 (564 views)
Shortcut
By all that's salty 'n' crusty! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll 'ave yer guts fer garters fer spreadin' suchlike perfidy! Make ready wit' yer blades, iffen ye be man enough to back yer foul words wit' steel!

CaptainMorgan
Bree

Sep 19 2013, 5:27pm

Post #13 of 47 (556 views)
Shortcut
Harrrrr! [In reply to] Can't Post

Did ye say summat about yer goiter? If ye’d e’er get off'n fresh water ponds an’ start sailin’ th’ salty seas ye’d soon be rid o’ that!

And ye look like a bit o' fruit’d do ye good, so I be sendin' ye along some grape courtesy o' me long nine!

Meneldor
Valinor

Sep 19 2013, 7:51pm

Post #14 of 47 (544 views)
Shortcut
Long nine?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Accordin' t' th' strumpets o' Tortuga, yer carryin' no more'n a short four, an' wit' wet primin', iffen y'knows what I means! (nudge nudge poke poke)
Now shut yer hawsehole 'n' draw yer piece, ye pox-ridden cod-wallopin' bilge rat!

CaptainMorgan
Bree

Sep 19 2013, 9:38pm

Post #15 of 47 (545 views)
Shortcut
At least th’ lasses, they *have* heard o’ me.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...unlike yerself, ye scourge o’ th’ cabin boys!

Get t' paddlin' an' I’ll meet ye on th' high seas!

Jus' yer boat agin' me ship.

Don’t ye worrit, I swear by Davy Jones when ye founder I’ll toss ye a nice big anchor t' hold ont'!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 19 2013, 9:58pm

Post #16 of 47 (546 views)
Shortcut
Mal? [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you talking about the character from Inception?

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 19 2013, 10:05pm

Post #17 of 47 (543 views)
Shortcut
I think she probably meant Malcolm Reynolds from Firefly. [In reply to] Can't Post

Since he's listed right next to River Tam.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 19 2013, 10:25pm

Post #18 of 47 (535 views)
Shortcut
Oh, ok thanks. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never seen Firefly, so I didn't make the connection.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 19 2013, 11:17pm

Post #19 of 47 (541 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Malcolm Reynolds // [In reply to] Can't Post

Meneldor
Valinor

Sep 20 2013, 12:28am

Post #20 of 47 (531 views)
Shortcut
So, ye say ye're cap'n of a big ship? [In reply to] Can't Post

(Sounds t' me like someone's tryin' t' compensate fer a certain lackin', in a personal way, belike.)

Now, ye knee-slappin' poxy son of a monkey-buggerin' jackanape, have at ye wit' a wannion!

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2013, 5:44am

Post #21 of 47 (531 views)
Shortcut
*Troy-and-Abed special handshake* :D [In reply to] Can't Post

When you think about it, Abed and Luna are two of a kind. They are both very self-aware, they know they are seen as odd, and yet they are very comfortable in their own skins. I guess that's why I like them; I identify with the former characteristics and wish I could develope the latter...and find a Troy to share "dope adventures" with. Smile

(I almost posted this in Calvin and Hobbes thread, but I can't resist this time Smile)

(This post was edited by zarabia on Sep 20 2013, 5:54am)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2013, 5:52pm

Post #22 of 47 (508 views)
Shortcut
Captain Malcolm Reynolds [In reply to] Can't Post

will always hold a special place in my heart. I feel like there was so much more to learn about him. It's like he died too young.

Curse you, FOX, for your inevitable betrayal!

malickfan
Gondor

Sep 20 2013, 9:18pm

Post #23 of 47 (499 views)
Shortcut
Wolverine Indy or Sheldon [In reply to] Can't Post

Wolverine and Indy are just plain cool, whilst Sheldon is simply Sheldon, all great characters wonderfully played in the films and TV shows and I can't really say I have any one favourite.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 20 2013, 9:58pm

Post #24 of 47 (501 views)
Shortcut
Theirs is an evil laugh! [In reply to] Can't Post

Couldn't resist.... Wink

Curse you, FOX, for your inevitable betrayal!

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Sep 21 2013, 1:16am

Post #25 of 47 (486 views)
Shortcut
Yay, Discworld! [In reply to] Can't Post

It frustrates me to find run across no one (off of the Internet) who has ever heard of Discworld. It's very lonely...

But I agree! Death is one of my favorites, along with Vetinari, for some strange reason... probably because he can do crossword puzzles while drunk... and I like all of the Watch as well, they're so funny...But I still like Death the most.

I didn't vote because there is no way I'll ever be able to pick just one favorite, even out of a list as short as that!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.