Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD - Gandalf and Pippin on the edge...

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2013, 12:51pm

Post #1 of 4 (338 views)
Shortcut
SCOD - Gandalf and Pippin on the edge... Can't Post

Hey everybody! My internet has been kind of lacking lately, so I've only got so much time when I do get on the web. I'm hoping to make up for last week and this week in the coming days. Fingers crossed! Smile

1.) For those who are keen on scaling and perspective in these films, what sort of method do details in both Ian and Billy reveal?

2.) The background reminds me a lot of a favela. Does this offer anything to the character/our understanding of Minas Tirtith?

3.) Any other thoughts?

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Sep 18 2013, 3:24pm

Post #2 of 4 (157 views)
Shortcut
I love this scene! Okay, I love (almost) all the scenes. [In reply to] Can't Post

(1) I am not an expert on scaling and perspective, so I really cannot say much here. I have long thought that the scaling in this scene was well done, though - particularly when the camera shows Gandalf and Pippin from behind. Then you really get a feel for how small Hobbits are in comparison to everyone else. The close-ups of their faces don't convey the same scale.

(2) I am also not an expert on favelas. However, if the structures in this scene compromise one, I would hazard to guess that they were built during the glory days of Minas Tirith, back years and years ago when they had kings. Now the houses are mostly empty - you cannot see any torches or lamps in any other windows in the background. Minas Tirith has fallen from its glory days; its people have dwindled. It is itself a shadow of what it once was, a shadow about to fight the much stronger shadow that is the dominion of Mordor. Also, only the porch where Gandalf and Pippin stand is lit. Only the courage of the inhabitants and their willingness to fight against Mordor will save Minas Tirith; they and not merely the walls of stone will preserve their city for the future.

3) Why does the interior of the room (on the left) look greenish? Is that a candle set in the holder above Pippin's head? If so, how do they keep it lit in a draft? I suppose they don't. A torch might work better... dunno. I've never used a non-eletric torch (and we call those things flashlights over here... Wink)

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Nuradar
Rohan

Sep 18 2013, 6:43pm

Post #3 of 4 (128 views)
Shortcut
Father and son [In reply to] Can't Post

1.) For those who are keen on scaling and perspective in these films, what sort of method do details in both Ian and Billy reveal?

For me, the scaling works just fine until Pippin takes a few steps. When he does that, I can tell he's on his knees and I tend to forget about the scaling at that point and I just picture Billy Boyd on his knees.

2.) The background reminds me a lot of a favela. Does this offer anything to the character/our understanding of Minas Tirtith?

I've seen firsthand the favelas in Rio, and Minas Tirith does not remind me of them. I do understand what you mean, however. The homes are packed close to one another and are very minimal, but I think these are just coincidences. The reasons for these features in both cities are very different.

3.) Any other thoughts?

I like how Gandalf and Pippin bond on this scene. It has a very "father and son" feel to it.

CaptainMorgan
The Shire

Sep 19 2013, 10:04pm

Post #4 of 4 (148 views)
Shortcut
Arrrr!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I ‘spect th’ balcony ‘tis rigged zig-zag like Gandalf’s wagon in th’ Shire

In Reply To

‘Tis a fort full o’ refugees from th’ city o’ Osgiliath, so there be lots o’ shanty town buildings!

An' th' lass Werde Spinner be right perceptive:

Pippin gazed in growing wonder at the great stone city, vaster and more splendid than anything that he had dreamed of; greater and stronger than Isengard, and far more beautiful. Yet it was in truth falling year by year into decay; and already it lacked half the men that could have dwelt at ease there. In every street they passed some great house or court over whose doors and arched gates were carved many fair letters of strange and ancient shapes: names Pippin guessed of great men and kindreds that had once dwelt there; and yet now they were silent, and no footsteps rang on their wide pavements, nor voice was heard in their halls, nor any face looked out from door or empty window.
-ROTK, Minas Tirith

In Reply To
3.) Any other thoughts?

YO HO HO, A LIPEY LIBER FWEE
-Captain Edward Dregg

A pirate always has two reasons for doing anything: a good reason and the real reason.
-Captain JP Morgan

(This post was edited by CaptainMorgan on Sep 19 2013, 10:05pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.