Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Dos:Academy Awards
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Peterthorn of Rohan
Rivendell

Sep 17 2013, 7:37pm

Post #1 of 64 (3266 views)
Shortcut
Dos:Academy Awards Can't Post

How many nominations?I hope Martin will be recognised,it's a real shame he didn't get nominated for Auj.But some possible nominations are:
Best Make up
Best Production Desing
Best Visual Effects
Best Costume Design
Best Sound(both categories)
Best Original Score

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 17 2013, 8:34pm

Post #2 of 64 (2547 views)
Shortcut
I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

... it has a shot (at least for a nomination) for all of those categories you mentioned.

But all major categories (actors, director, ad. screenplay, picture) are highly unlikely imho unless DoS really breaks out on the buzz-front.

Editing and cinematography might be the most likely of the "more major" categories for a nomination, although those categories often go to the "favourites" of a year.

As for Martin - no imho. He is a great Bilbo... but the role Bilbo (book and screenplay) simply isn't Oscar material imho.

The only actor that was - in my book - ever deserving of an Oscar in a Middle-earth movie, remains to be Sir Ian.

A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of mens imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold. J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Sep 17 2013, 8:37pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 17 2013, 9:02pm

Post #3 of 64 (2491 views)
Shortcut
Probably a lot in the artistic and technical categories. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I don't see any acting awards.

Depending on how the entire "If more people valued food and merry-making, like you, over hoarded gold" build-up goes, either Freeman or Armitage may impress enough for an Oscar in TABA.

BTW, I'm betting McKellen will win an Oscar for TABA. Wouldn't be the first actor to win an Oscar to make up for not getting one for a previous film.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Sometime hours and hours hence:
In The Green Dragon two ales could buy
And drank the one less filling I
And that has made all the difference.
- The Ale Less Filling, by Robert Frostymug

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Sep 17 2013, 11:35pm

Post #4 of 64 (2429 views)
Shortcut
Best Adapted Screenplay [In reply to] Can't Post

Without a shred of doubt...

Tongue

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Sep 18 2013, 12:01am)

kbdiggity
Rivendell

Sep 18 2013, 12:57am

Post #5 of 64 (2380 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

Best supporting actor - Radagast

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 18 2013, 1:42am

Post #6 of 64 (2383 views)
Shortcut
Visual nom (not win) is the only guaranteed [In reply to] Can't Post

Everything else faces really tough competition.

As for acting, directing, picture - no chance. Extremely strong year and since AUJ didn't make it into big categories, AMPAS isn't obliged to nominated DoS or TABA as a recognition of the trilogy, or particular actor. After all, AUJ had only 65% at RT and even lower META score so we are not talking about critical slamdunk like LOTR which couldn't have been ignored.

In short, LOTR won for all movies in the series.

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Tauriel saved us from Itaril. Never forget.

(This post was edited by Semper Fi on Sep 18 2013, 1:45am)

Peterthorn of Rohan
Rivendell

Sep 18 2013, 5:10am

Post #7 of 64 (2342 views)
Shortcut
Baftas [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we also have a chance to win Baftas, if the film is well received by critics, because I think it will be. Martin Freeman is a well known man at Baftas with already 2 nods for sherlock(1 win) and he might be nominated. For sure some nominations in the technical categories.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 18 2013, 10:15am

Post #8 of 64 (2300 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry but no [In reply to] Can't Post

There are way too many actors, directors and movies already locked for nominations and DoS and its director and cast aren't even in the conversation. And to be quite honest, please don't take this as a dig at the movies, there's no critical or industry enthusiasm for this franchise anymore. As far as buzz (or lack thereof) goes, the Middle Earth ship has sailed in 2004 when ROTK won all it could win. It doesn't mean that DoS wouldn't get better reviews than AUJ if it deserved them. Just that I really don't detect any support for nomination-type of response. This year in particular doesn't even have the "which movie will be obligatory blockbuster spot" debate among pundits anymore, since last year had 6 nominees crossing 100M and none of them classic tentpole. So obviously Oscars don't need that spot.

Besides, big British hopefuls for a win (not just a nom that's locked and loaded sealed and delivered) are 12 Years a Slave, its stars Chiewetel Ejiofor, Michael Fassbender, and director Steve McQueen. Other prominent male Brits vying for BAFTA nominations (cause SAG and Oscars will be tough or even impossible) are Idris Elba (Mandela Long Walk to Freedom - mixed response from Toronto, no RT score yet ) and Benedict Cumberbatch (The Fifth Estate - 40% RT score). So it's an uphill battle for these two since their competitors come from acclaimed movies and frankly got much better reviews for performances. And we are yet to see American Hustle with another famous Brit Christian Bale.

So with British-led current front-runners, I see no reason why BAFTA would feel obliged to prop Freeman in DoS when other Brits are doing extremely well on their own. Especially since Freeman can always pick TV BAFTA nom/win for Shrelock again.

Look, not all good or even great performances and movies are awards-worthy (means Top 5 of the year required to make the cut) or awards material (have certain thematic or otherwise value that is looked for in a contender). So it isn't a dig at the movie and its actors to say they have no chance because there's already stacked field with real contenders. And when it comes to genre movies, it's very hard to get a nomination. Ian Mckellen got in on the wave of FOTR tsunami, was singled out as the standout, his character arc had a conclusion (at least in FOTR it seemed he was done for while other character arcs were open, save Boromir's) and very likely supporting actor campaign was focused on him. OTOH, New Line tried to campaign way too many ROTK actors with zero chances and they ended up with no acting nominations.

Freeman did well but no actor in AUJ got McKellen in FOTR type of raves, not even McKellen. And, like I said, it helped that Gandalf's character arc seemed finished within that one movie as opposed to "wait and see" characters without conclusion (all but last movie) and without beginning (all but first movie).

Techs are all DoS is getting nominated for, no win assured.

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

glor
Rohan

Sep 18 2013, 10:40am

Post #9 of 64 (2281 views)
Shortcut
yes, It depends on how good other films are.. [In reply to] Can't Post

it's the competition, not necessarily how acclaimed an individual film is when it comes to the major awards. The 35th Oscars had Burt Lancaster for Bird Man of Alcatraz, Gregory Peck for To Kill a Mockingbird and Peter O'Toole for Lawrence of Arabia in the best actor catergory, one single year with three of the great performances of cinema, yet several decades later, Gwyneth Paltrow wins best actress for Shakespeare in Love.

I hate to say this but, at the 76th Oscars, Return of the King won best picture but the competition wasn't exactly strong; Sea Biscuit, Lost in Translation, Mystic River and the only real challenger to ROTK was Master and Commander and the Director Peter Weir was officially quoted as saying that if he won it would be a travesty and he would give the Oscar to Jackson himself. If the 2003 Oscars had a Schindler's List type film to compete against, ROTK might not have walked away with all that Oscar gold.

It also depends on the mood of the Oscar voters, sometimes the mood changes and it is felt that a big box office film rather than, the moderately successful on the back of critical acclaim obvious Oscar fodder movies, should be recognised, the Oscars are industry not, critics awards afterall, and industry is about aknowledging the $$$.

However, I am somewhat mystified by your 'strong year' comment. This year has been marked by several films that were expected to be well received critically and in some cases commercially actually falling flat, the most notable being the Great Gatsby. Mandela: Long walk to Freedom a possible contender has had a luke warm reception at the Toronto Film Festival, if critically acclaimed idris Elba whose perfomance has won critics over would have been a shoe in for best actor.

Obviously we are only just about to enter the season of Oscar potential films being released but so far we only have Rush and 12 Years a Slave as serious Oscar contenders, Alfonso Cuarn's Gravity hasn't (yet) met with the acclaim expected and it might feel far too akin to Kubricks 2001: A Space Odyssey fro Oscar voters to give it any of the serious awards.

Although you may have more knowledge than I, I would be genuinely interested in any quality films I can watch in cinemas between now and TDOS.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 18 2013, 10:54am

Post #10 of 64 (2265 views)
Shortcut
I agree that 2003 was a weak year [In reply to] Can't Post

but that shouldn't take anything away from ROTK. Besides, I think it would have won in a stronger year because of the 3 movies undertaking. I do consider ROTK to be the weakest of the 3 but it was a worthy contender none the less and the trilogy was groundbreaking logistically. So they had to award the effort. I don't think TTT and ROTK would be nominated if movies were filmed and released 2-3 years apart like any other blockbuster.

However, now that other movies follow in LOTR footsteps with back-to-back filming, Hobbit is no more the leader but the follower. I guess HFR was supposed to be that special something but that didn't work out.

Also, Great Gatsby wasn't expected to be an Oscar contender ever since WB moved it to summer where it became a huge counterprogramming hit.

I don't know where you are getting that Gravity isn't getting expected raves cause it's raved across the board by critics who matter (Slant Magazine and AICN's Anton Sirius don't matter). And yes, it looks like a slamdunk to win SFX.

glor
Rohan

Sep 18 2013, 11:29am

Post #11 of 64 (2249 views)
Shortcut
Sorry.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Slant Magazine and AICN's Anton Sirius don't matter

Don't even know who they are. (doesn't mean they aren't important or significant)

I was thinking the print based critics, Guardian, Variety etc are the ones that matter to Oscar voters.

Perhaps I should have been clearer with regards to Gravity, I was thinking about the big catergories, Best Film, Actor, Director etc

glor
Rohan

Sep 18 2013, 11:39am

Post #12 of 64 (2259 views)
Shortcut
ROTK [In reply to] Can't Post

They didn't have to award ROTK anything, the pre-oscar awards that foretell what is to come didn't all award ROTK but went for Mystic River and Master and Commander in several of the major catergories, director, best film etc. It wasn't a slam dunk walking into the Oscars, it only appeared that way after, I would argue.

It was 2003 and this was fantasy, and the trilogy were all also box office gold, which often in Oscar terms is a reason to nominate but not award. The history of the Oscars is littered with odd decisions, cinema classics that failed to win, and groundbreaking films that Oscar voters didn't get. There was also the studio problem for ROTK, Oscar voting tends to have studio block voting (voters employed by studios are expected to vote for their employers films not the competitors) and New Line wasn't a major studio that could summon that kind of block voting. Plus of course there was the lack of acting noms for ROTK, which can affect a films chance of winning the other major awards.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 18 2013, 12:19pm

Post #13 of 64 (2240 views)
Shortcut
Gravity - Picture, Director, Actress, SFX locked. [In reply to] Can't Post

other techs too. Even with unseen hopefuls such as American Hustle and Wolf of Wall Street. I'd say that, right now, 12 years A Slave/McQueen and Gravity/Cuaron are unmoving blocks. Stranger things happened such as Argo w/o Affleck and ZDT w/o Bigelow, but the backlash from last year should keep such accidents from happening.

Hobbit will have a nominee with a strong chance of win among its cast - Cate for Blue Jasmine. So someone to root for for sure. She's terrific in it, so funny and moving.

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 18 2013, 12:20pm

Post #14 of 64 (2229 views)
Shortcut
All of those [In reply to] Can't Post

It could get others just depends on how the oscar folks take to it. Its all about who and what is hot at that moment.

Noria
Gondor

Sep 18 2013, 12:20pm

Post #15 of 64 (2240 views)
Shortcut
Overall, I agree with Semper Fi, [In reply to] Can't Post

though I dont really follow the movie business.

I think some technical nominations are possible but nothing else. Maybe original score but I doubt it.

LotR was groundbreaking, unique, a new approach to making movies, and an adaptation of a novel that wont go away despite being dismissed by the literati for decades. RotK was rewarded for that achievement rather than its own merits.

With The Hobbit, even before the three film split was announced I got a sense that, to the media, TH movies were just more of the same, just another prequel made to cash in, that Peter Jackson had run dry and was going back to the same well etcetera. It didn't seem to matter that The Hobbit was not a prequel as such but that LotR was a sequel. The fact that TH is undoubtedly a novel for children didn't help. All that will apply to DoS as well.

So the merits or lack thereof of the movie aside, I was not surprised when AUJ was received less than kindly by critics and the three film split and the HFR turned it into a feeding frenzy. Im sure the mainstream media (as opposed to Empire and the like) will pay some attention to DoS but largely just as another blockbuster.

I think that The Hobbit movies have been reduced to being geek movies, wildly popular but similar to the superhero movies in the way they are perceived.

I don't care. I loved AUJ and hope and expect to love DoS and TaBA. Awards are nice for the filmmakers but they have a set and no one can take that away from them.

malickfan
Gondor

Sep 18 2013, 12:48pm

Post #16 of 64 (2236 views)
Shortcut
The way things are going Best Original Screenplay seems to be more acurate... [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink
I can certainly see nominations in SFX, Cinematography and Editing, perhaps Make Up and Costume Design as well, but not for any of the non technical categories. As others had said The Hobbit just feels like more of the same comic book/ sci fi blockbuster rather than the once in a lifetime out of knowhere thing that was LOTR.

I do however think PJ, Richard Armitage and Ian Mckellen will all be shoe ins for TABA nominations...

I don't have much to say.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 18 2013, 12:50pm

Post #17 of 64 (2213 views)
Shortcut
They don't have to nominate anything or anyone [In reply to] Can't Post

hence Affleck snub last year. But in LOTR case, there were several factors - movies were too big to ignore, critical response was too rapturous to ignore, undertaking revolutionized the industry, the source was a legit masterpiece so it wasn't like nominating/awarding a comic book movie (that they would eventually feel ashamed of). It was a perfect storm. And movies don't need acting noms to get awarded Best Picture. Some movies simply aren't showcases for actors, such as big cast movies where everyone does their job but nobody really stands out for an individual nom. This is where SAG ensemble comes into play - award collective acting work where no individual makes the cut for other awards. And while I'm not a fan of Sean Astin's overacting, I do believe that he could have sequeezed a nom (no win though) if NL hadn't over-spread their campaign on actors who weren't in any awards conversation nor had any tracking. Astin did very well with many critics bodies. It was televized awards (Globes, SAG, BAFTA, Oscars) that stopped him in the tracks. It's just a piece of 'what if" on my part. as I said, I'm relaly not fond of his acting and he wouldn't have made my ballot.

As for Hobbit, I really don't like discussing movies that I honestly feel won't happen, based on many sources that I follow, on that movie-specific forums. Because of course that fans hope miracle would happen. But the situation is not the same like when LOTR was in its prime. I'll try to put it this way: there are two types of movies that make the cut - passion movies and agreeable movies. Passion movies have unapologetic fans and detractors but passion of the fans gets them through. Genre movies, Tarantino are passion movies as a rule. You know, not for everyone's taste but those who love them would push them all the way to the top. Agreeable movies are generally liked because they look like contenders and are safe bet for nomination. Nobody loves them nor hates them. They are what you pick as your #2 or #3 choice in order to neutralize something you hate. Dramas (not all but some types) are usually agreeable movies because they are standard AMPAS fodder. You won't feel embarrassed that you nominated it but you don't think it's #1 of the year either. Hobbit problem is that it's neither a passion movie series nor agreeable one. AUJ couldn't even muster a certified fresh RT score so that definitely shows there's no passion for it and its genre roots put it out of agreeable category (even with LOTR pedigree that played a role only for AUJ and doesn't for the rest - it's a separate trilogy now).

Also, back in 2001-2003, Jackson was a novelty, a huge breakout, the one to watch, and everyone wanted to see what he would do next. A decade after ROTK win, the highlight of his post-LOTR career (including Hobbit) seems to be producing District 9. In short, he didn't live up to expectations as a film-maker. Now, I don't think that expectations are fair, so artists should be judged on their own merit, not on what we want/expect them to do. However, King Kong remake was a boring follow-up to LOTR (how many remakes do we need?) and it went down in history as an epithome of bloat, rather than ultimate King Kong version (that's still the original). The Lovely Bones was simply awful (though based on an awful book so no wonder) but what riled up critics was that it was turned into a SFX fest instead of being " a return to Heavenly Creatures roots" (though Jackson never stated it would be so, again, expectations mixed with judging the merit alone). And finally the Hobbit is seen as face-saving in the wake of TLB fiasco, a cash grab ("small book? 3 movies?") and overall uninteresting career choice ("is he like Lucas now?"). So in short, nobody feels like he's due for another nom. That's a general opinion that I get from industry bodies that once passionately supported both LOTR and it's film-maker.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 18 2013, 1:10pm

Post #18 of 64 (2217 views)
Shortcut
There are no shoe-ins for the third movie in major categories [In reply to] Can't Post

That's as realistic as it gets. Hobbit is no more a prestige movie series like LOTR but more akin to Harry Potter - respectable money maker but no more than that.

Also, lets take an objective look at those 3 roles and actors. None of them got "awards-worthy" type of raves for AUJ. All 3 will not make the cut in Supporting Actor, just no way that Hobbit of all movies with much more detailed and difficult performances would dominate the category. Best Actor is out of question because that category is a bloodbath and neither actor has enough screen time for that.

Also, don't count on Mckellen to be seen as due for Gandalf win. That's only fandom's take and nobody else's.

glor
Rohan

Sep 18 2013, 1:19pm

Post #19 of 64 (2199 views)
Shortcut
I don't totally disagree. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that unless TH had/does received ecstatic reviews, it will be largely ignored by the Oscars, unless it does the kind of Box Office that makes Hollywood sit up. After LOTR it does to the industry at least, have a been there, seen it, done it element.

There was as you suggest, the narrative of the little indie film maker from some backwater, filming an unfilmable novel in a genre that had a substantial reputation for awfulness, and making a masterpiece against all odds, that was the living representation of the romantic Hollywood dream. The making of the LOTR trilogy was the film industries real life version of Field of Dreams, make it and they will come to the cinema, triumph against the odds( it was considered, until the early reels of FOTR were shown at film festivals to be a strong candidate for biggest flop of all time and the ruin of New Line), Hollywood loves that against all odd, against all expectations underdog thing. (Actually it wouldn't surprise me if in a decade or so's time, someone makes a movie about the making of the LOTR movies).

I don't care if TH wins any Oscars, unless it's in the acting catergories, certain individuals were robbed the first time around with LOTR, waves at Andy Serkis and Sir Ian. I don't care because it doesn't matter if TH wins Oscars, LOTR won and by winning it elevated the fantasy genre into a completely different stratosphere to the one that it had existed in before. LOTR winning, the way it did, means TH doesn't need to, because any Oscar outside of acting won't be revolutionary, won't be elevating the genre, etc. LOTR winning those Oscars and accolades had a significance that went beyond those directly involved in their making and their careers, it changed film.

(This post was edited by glor on Sep 18 2013, 1:21pm)

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 18 2013, 1:59pm

Post #20 of 64 (2185 views)
Shortcut
Sadly, Andy won't happen unless he acts out of mo'cap [In reply to] Can't Post

Actors guild, by far the biggest voting body, will never vote for mo'cap performances. It's sad but that's the reality of it. Actors are the stumbling block for these type of performances.

As for McKellen, while I agree that he should have won for FOTR (Gandalf, after all, made a full circle in one movie, regardless of what happened afterwards), Gandalf the White simply wasn't that compelling, and by the time AUJ rolled novelty completely wore off. So I'd say that he is as 'due" for the crowning win as is Depp for POTC (another genre nominee who didn't end up a winner). menaing, not at all. From the point of view of those who vote or have some power to infuence voters. I also think that it would have bene helpful for him if he had a more active movie career. As it is, his relevant post-LOTR work was theater-based so no late-career resurgence like,lets say, Christopher Plummer.

I agree about the observation that Jackson (and the whole project really) was the story back in time. Now he is not and nor is the project. That skews perception, though I do think that AUJ was well below LOTR standard and that the trilogy wouldn't have been a rousing critical success if Hobbit had come before LOTR.

Lindele
Gondor

Sep 18 2013, 2:42pm

Post #21 of 64 (2170 views)
Shortcut
I am going to have to [In reply to] Can't Post

agree with you here. Not much of a chance that Gravity is not gonna sweep at the Oscars..at least in vfx and post

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Sep 18 2013, 4:03pm

Post #22 of 64 (2157 views)
Shortcut
Here's my complete list [In reply to] Can't Post

Since AUJ (3 nominations) was more of a childrens version of FOTR (13 nominations) for many critics and most of the audience DOS will be far more original. I think that's why the Academy will recognize it. Here is my list:
  • Best Actor in a Leading Role: No. No Oscar-material
  • Best Actor in a Supporting Role: No, although I could imagine that Sir Ian will be recognized after TABA for doing 6 films with wonderful performances. But I think a nomination would be the only thing.
  • Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Well... Cate is brilliant but here role seems to be too small. BUT perhaps Miss Lilly is unexpected brilliant. She will be good... but Oscar-worthy? We'll see.
  • Best Cinematography: Untill now it wasn't that special to be nominated. But who knows?
  • Best Costume Design: Here I see the first chance for a nomination. Especially because of the Laketown and Woodland Realm outfits. At least a nomination. But I don't expect a win here because there's a lot of LOTR stuff in there too.
  • Best Director: Pete does a great fan-service and everybody loves to work with him... but I don't expect a nomination here.
  • Best Film Editing: I haven't seen the movie so I don't know. Perhaps yes, perhaps no.
  • Best Make Up And Hear Styling: Again I could imagine at least a nomination here because of the Men, Dwarves and Elves. Although I fear that there won't be so much more new stuff since the nomination for AUJ
  • Best Original Score: I hope so. Since Shore didn't get his deserved nomination for AUJ. This time there are a lot of new themes and motifs possible and hopefully Peter won't replaces too many original tracks with LOTR onces again.
  • Best Original Song: If it's better than the last one... But since I haven't heard it yet. Again: Possible.
  • Best Picture: Would be great but there are no black slaves (except for the Nazgl) in it, no Holocaust, no American patriotism, no psychopaths as protagonists and no other social problems of the modern world.
  • Best Production Design: Definitely a nomination and perhaps also a win this time. If I look at Laketown, if I look at Mirkwood, Thranduils halls, Beorns house or Erebor... I think it has the biggest chance to win.
  • Best Sound Editing: Yes... perhaps yes. Especially Smaug, Beorn, the barrel escape and the talking spiders but also the Dol Guldur plot will give enough material for cool sound editing and mixing
  • Best Sound Mixing: Same here
  • Best Visual Effects: Yes. Same as last year. Smaug, Beorn, Mirkwood... enough material to prove that Weta has great talents. Although there is no Gollum or Goblin King this time.
  • Best Adapted Screenplay: It depends on the way they adapted the book and how strong their changes might be. I would say no but again I haven't seen the movie yet.

So I could imagine that there will be more nominations this time. But I don't expect too many wins. Perhaps one. But since I haven't seen the movie, haven't heard the score or the song I can't tell for sure.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

(This post was edited by Lieutenant of Dol Guldur on Sep 18 2013, 4:06pm)

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 18 2013, 4:50pm

Post #23 of 64 (2121 views)
Shortcut
Intrestingly enough [In reply to] Can't Post

one of Oscar prognosticators Tapley from hitfix.com thinks that DoS will have even less nominations than AUJ.

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 18 2013, 5:23pm

Post #24 of 64 (2109 views)
Shortcut
I'd be pretty surprised if that happened. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't expect noms in director, picture, etc of that kind but technical, costume, etc I do think you'll see even for ones like that they didn't get.

Either way as long as I walk out and think it was an awesome film like AUJ I will be ok with that.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 18 2013, 5:33pm

Post #25 of 64 (2100 views)
Shortcut
Yeah I think that Oscars are really of no consequence here [In reply to] Can't Post

The franchise is already beloved, huge and multi-awarded, and yes they did win everything they could, and realistically speaking actors don't get to do heavy lifting that results in nominations especially compared to many roles that get nominated (one or two dubious noms such as Arkin last year aside). But bottom line is Hobbit doesn't need awards.

I understand fans' affection for Mckellen's turn especially since he came really close to a win, but there are aslo many actors deserving of wins for variety of roles so I really don't think that sentiment is reprocited anywhere outside of our fandom.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.