Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
A question from "A Knife In The Dark", FOTR

Nuradar
Rohan

Sep 17 2013, 11:43am

Views: 303
Shortcut
A question from "A Knife In The Dark", FOTR Can't Post

Hi guys, hope you're all doing well. I started reading LOTR again for (embarrassingly) the 2nd time only. The first time was when I was in university about 15 years ago. Life with 3 kids can slow one down a bit.

My first discovery is just how much of the text was actually taken from the book and put into the movies. I know, it's often placed in a different part of the story, and sometimes the dialogue is given to another character in the book, but it's been nice to see that it's used. That's been a very pleasant surprise. I have a new level of respect for PJ, Fran, and Phillipa.

My first question as I take this quest....

In the chapter, "A Knife In The Dark", the Black Riders (3 of them) are described as going to Crickhollow in search of the hobbits and the ring. But back in Bree, the hobbits go to their rooms at the Prancing Pony the following morning to discover that their beds have been slashed and the room has been overturned. From the movies, I know this was also done by the Wraiths, but it's not as explicit in the book.

I just want to make sure that the mischief at the Prancing Pony was, indeed, done by the Black Riders. Is that correct?

Sincerely,

Nuradar

Subject User Time
A question from "A Knife In The Dark", FOTR Nuradar Send a private message to Nuradar Sep 17 2013, 11:43am
    Yes Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Sep 17 2013, 12:08pm
        Thanks Nuradar Send a private message to Nuradar Sep 17 2013, 12:45pm
    Not necessarily... noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Sep 17 2013, 12:57pm
    Tolkien wrote both answers (Men, Riders) at two different times. squire Send a private message to squire Sep 17 2013, 6:52pm
        But, which version is " cannon"? :) noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Sep 17 2013, 9:03pm
    thank you Nuradar Send a private message to Nuradar Sep 18 2013, 5:07pm
        The galloping hooves of Frodos dream noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Sep 19 2013, 4:26pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.