Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So, What Will Galadriel Do That Gandalf Could Not Do To Save or Help Him?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Sep 16 2013, 7:48pm

Post #1 of 75 (2247 views)
Shortcut
So, What Will Galadriel Do That Gandalf Could Not Do To Save or Help Him? Can't Post

We all know that somewhere in the movie, in a brief but probably important appearance, Galadriel will come to the aid of Gandalf, whether through her own volition or maybe Gandalf summoned her.

What do you think will she do? Come alone...or come with an army of Elves? I mean Gandalf has been shown to exude white light, lightning (I think in LOTR during the battle with Balrog; unpossess someone, fireball, telekenetic ability, etc.).

What would Galadriel do that she would be needed to save or help Gandalf that can he can't do himself (other than the army)?

I mean Arwen was shown in LOTR to control water (though it was not really her doing); surely, they must have something considerably more powerful than what Arwen and a notch above what Gandalf has been shown to do in order to somewhat warrant her appearance in helping him?

It would also be nice to see how Thandruil reacts of Galadriel's presence but their paths will never cross in the movie.

----

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Sep 16 2013, 8:21pm

Post #2 of 75 (1577 views)
Shortcut
i can only see [In reply to] Can't Post

A confrontation of Gandalf and the Necromancer himself being the reason for Galadriels aid...how, i dont know....

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 16 2013, 8:21pm

Post #3 of 75 (1643 views)
Shortcut
Ask for directions. [In reply to] Can't Post

Also something about lifting a chair.

Otherwise, family board.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Sometime hours and hours hence:
In The Green Dragon two ales could buy
And drank the one less filling I
And that has made all the difference.
- The Ale Less Filling, by Robert Frostymug

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Sep 16 2013, 8:24pm)

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Sep 16 2013, 8:27pm

Post #4 of 75 (1633 views)
Shortcut
That's Why We Speculate [In reply to] Can't Post

It's hard to imagine what she would (other than bring in the Elven army) after you see how Gandalf defeated a Balrog in LOTR, so speculations could involve:

Using Nenya (did she have it at the time) / but didn't Gandalf also had Narya...
The Phial
A chant to destroy the walls...something similar to what the Witch King of Angmar did to Gandalf's Staff
Sauron type of feat...whacking several soldier orcs making, bowling over them like bowling pins...

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 16 2013, 8:38pm

Post #5 of 75 (1513 views)
Shortcut
As long as she doesn't go Nuclear Boo like in FOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

that was KHAAAAAAAAAN-level of Shatneresque overacting and photo negative SFX was pretty bad too (my only nitpick about otherwise flawless FOTR).

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Tauriel saved us from Itaril. Never forget.

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Sep 16 2013, 9:13pm

Post #6 of 75 (1456 views)
Shortcut
Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

That was pretty bad special effects...it's like someone put a commercial fan in front of her and flashed a thousand flashlights at her...lol.

kbdiggity
Rivendell

Sep 16 2013, 9:53pm

Post #7 of 75 (1408 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

Something involving Elvish martial arts, and possibly nunchuks.

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 16 2013, 9:57pm

Post #8 of 75 (1447 views)
Shortcut
Funny, still one of the most memorable scenes for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

Had something very old-school for me... in a good way.

A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of mens imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold. J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 16 2013, 10:20pm

Post #9 of 75 (1414 views)
Shortcut
*snort* Ah... [In reply to] Can't Post

So that's why he was gone so long on his little research trip to Gondor and back in FOTR. Grey Pilgrim indeed.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Sep 16 2013, 11:09pm

Post #10 of 75 (1388 views)
Shortcut
Ach. . . well. . . I very much hope it will be circumstancial rather than a matter of power level [In reply to] Can't Post

I.E., that just as the greatest warrior can fall prey to bad circumstances, especially involving an even mightier foe, that something will happen to Gandalf that doesn't happen to Galadriel. . . simply because Gandalf is in the right/wrong place for it to happen to, whilst Galadriel is not. I.E. Just as Galadriel would have fared no better and possibly not quite as well as Gandalf against an ancient Maiar Demon of Might a.k.a. The Balrog, so too, whatever happens to endanger Gandalf in these films would have been just as bad or worse for her... she just happens not to be the one to whom it happens.

It may be that Sauron, knowing his chief adversary in the Third Age is and has always been The Gray Messenger, will focus the foremost part of his wrath and power against him, eventually overwhelming him, but expending a fair amount of energy in the process. Enter Saruman and Galadriel, with Galadriel taking a special concern for Gandalf that Saruman does not. Sauron may be defeated, perhaps more by Saruman than by Galadriel, and she may, perhaps using the Phial and Nenya, bring down the walls of Dol Guldur once Sauron has fled. THat, at least, would make sense and not upset the balance of power or make an embarrasing diminishing of any of The Wizards, esepcially Mithrandir, The Chief Mover of The Resistance.

In Reply To
We all know that somewhere in the movie, in a brief but probably important appearance, Galadriel will come to the aid of Gandalf, whether through her own volition or maybe Gandalf summoned her.

What do you think will she do? Come alone...or come with an army of Elves? I mean Gandalf has been shown to exude white light, lightning (I think in LOTR during the battle with Balrog; unpossess someone, fireball, telekenetic ability, etc.).

What would Galadriel do that she would be needed to save or help Gandalf that can he can't do himself (other than the army)?

I mean Arwen was shown in LOTR to control water (though it was not really her doing); surely, they must have something considerably more powerful than what Arwen and a notch above what Gandalf has been shown to do in order to somewhat warrant her appearance in helping him?

It would also be nice to see how Thandruil reacts of Galadriel's presence but their paths will never cross in the movie.

----

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Sep 16 2013, 11:10pm

Post #11 of 75 (1384 views)
Shortcut
Needed to excercise his... Wand. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink lol

In Reply To
So that's why he was gone so long on his little research trip to Gondor and back in FOTR. Grey Pilgrim indeed.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Sep 17 2013, 1:50am

Post #12 of 75 (1363 views)
Shortcut
she'll go nuclear i think [In reply to] Can't Post

that's what will "bring down the walls" like it says in the books.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Ffnir
Rohan

Sep 17 2013, 4:00am

Post #13 of 75 (1353 views)
Shortcut
Maybe her singing will bring the destruction of the fortress [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's what she does in the time of the war of the ring, so it would be cool. Plus it's what Luthien does to Sauron's tower during the first age so really it would be a something very middle earthy

dubulous
Rohan

Sep 17 2013, 6:47am

Post #14 of 75 (1328 views)
Shortcut
I actually kinda wish that she would... [In reply to] Can't Post

...."go nuclear", but in a lesser, more understated way than in FotR, because it would tie in with that nicely. Some display of frigtening power that would then in FotR be seen magnified by the temptation of the Ring.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Sep 17 2013, 7:07am

Post #15 of 75 (1306 views)
Shortcut
Ehh. . . Luthien was half Maiar. Galadriel is not. And Luthien had learned the words of power that bound the Tower from Sauron [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope it isn't nuclear nor her solo singing. I really am leery of anything that blatantly suggests her to be genuinely more powerful than The Wizards in a Spiritual/Magical sense. I know the notion thrills Phillipa Boyens, but it really borders on being deeply inappropriate.

In Reply To
I think it's what she does in the time of the war of the ring, so it would be cool. Plus it's what Luthien does to Sauron's tower during the first age so really it would be a something very middle earthy

Old Pilgrim
Rivendell

Sep 17 2013, 7:28am

Post #16 of 75 (1325 views)
Shortcut
It would be the best if nothing [In reply to] Can't Post

because Galadriel will help Gandalf the White after his battle with Balrog in TT and that should be enough. Of course I am talking about the books because in movie trilogy we never learned that Galadriel send Gwaihir to Gandalf and then help him by dressing him up and give him a new staff. Since that I believe everything is possible and while the best scenario Ainur_Olorin already described the worst could it be that Gandalf is too weak to fight Witch King or another Nazgul, they break his staff and while he is trembling on the floor suddenly a Lady of Light came and banish all Ringwraiths with her divine light and then help the old wizard back to his feets.

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 17 2013, 9:14am

Post #17 of 75 (1309 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm.... I think I'll have to disagree with you there, AO... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the idea of Galadriel putting out her power in song to bring down Dol Guldur is a lovely one and fits in very well with Tolkien.

Please don't kill me, I'm not suggesting for one minute that she is more powerful than Gandalf, honest. As they're both on the same side I don't see why there needs to be a competition between them. Why can't they just have different, complementary powers?

And there's no question that Galadriel has power. As Tolkien's concept of her developed her power seemed to increase - and I think it's very noticeable that in 'The Tale of Years', while Celeborn and the host of Lorien take Dol Guldur, it's Galadriel, and only Galadriel, who 'threw down its walls and laid bare its pits'. Her methods aren't specified, but assuming she didn't have a JCB and a shovel I think magic has to be involved.

I love the idea of her singing to make it happen - this is, after all, a world that was created through song. Someone on here months ago came up with the notion of Galadriel's song causing the trees and plants to grow and demolish the ruin - accelerating what the natural world would do in time anyway - and I really like that. It is a change to Tolkien's timeline but in this case it's a sensible one, I think, and I would love to see something like that happen in the film. Doesn't diminish Gandalf one whit - just adds a new texture to Middle Earth and gives us something to watch that isn't a battle.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 17 2013, 12:22pm

Post #18 of 75 (1237 views)
Shortcut
Well, I'm not sure that Galadriel used song... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I hope it isn't nuclear nor her solo singing. I really am leery of anything that blatantly suggests her to be genuinely more powerful than The Wizards in a Spiritual/Magical sense. I know the notion thrills Phillipa Boyens, but it really borders on being deeply inappropriate.

Galadriel did use her power to bring down Dol Guldur at the end of the War of the Ring--and she did it without the benefit of her Ring since Sauron had already fallen. Jackson might just move the event to the White Council's attack on the Necromancer.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 17 2013, 12:23pm

Post #19 of 75 (1239 views)
Shortcut
100% agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think the idea of Galadriel putting out her power in song to bring down Dol Guldur is a lovely one and fits in very well with Tolkien.

Please don't kill me, I'm not suggesting for one minute that she is more powerful than Gandalf, honest. As they're both on the same side I don't see why there needs to be a competition between them. Why can't they just have different, complementary powers?

And there's no question that Galadriel has power. As Tolkien's concept of her developed her power seemed to increase - and I think it's very noticeable that in 'The Tale of Years', while Celeborn and the host of Lorien take Dol Guldur, it's Galadriel, and only Galadriel, who 'threw down its walls and laid bare its pits'. Her methods aren't specified, but assuming she didn't have a JCB and a shovel I think magic has to be involved.

I love the idea of her singing to make it happen - this is, after all, a world that was created through song. Someone on here months ago came up with the notion of Galadriel's song causing the trees and plants to grow and demolish the ruin - accelerating what the natural world would do in time anyway - and I really like that. It is a change to Tolkien's timeline but in this case it's a sensible one, I think, and I would love to see something like that happen in the film. Doesn't diminish Gandalf one whit - just adds a new texture to Middle Earth and gives us something to watch that isn't a battle.

A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of mens imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold. J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

xxxyyy
Rohan

Sep 17 2013, 1:26pm

Post #20 of 75 (1212 views)
Shortcut
Love the idea of "accelerating nature". It would fit with nuclear radiation :) (The Rings of Power need to be explained) [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be awesome if, at the end of these movies, we finally get to know the power of the Three Rings:
1-Elrond: Healing
2-Galadriel: Growing
3-Gandalf: Strengthening
or something like that.
We perceived these powers throughout the six movies, and finally at the end we know the thuth behind them, acting in the background, being kept secret from evil.
If the screenwriters do not take advantage of all these stuff, what a missed chance...

http://energyfromthorium.com/

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 17 2013, 2:31pm

Post #21 of 75 (1202 views)
Shortcut
The SingingSPELL SOUNDS Ideal!, because [In reply to] Can't Post

this might become the "Signature Sound" Theme from this... Entire 6 movies.

A Cross-Over HIT Worldwide? (So Haunting it never leaves your mind...)

Of course with Howard's Orchetration taking us even Higher than "The Lighting of the Beacons"!

The Full Force of the New Zealand National Orchestra & Chorus!...Melting everyone in their seats...as the Towers melt.

Something very High like Rene Fleming, or Enya...
waves of Sound, distorting the FilmFrame
.. visualized?
penetrating the Walls and a Crumblin..
sorta like Barardur?
The overcast skies open and Beams of Cathedral-Light pour down upon DG,

Then the surrounding forest becomes lighter;
sheds the evil leaves, Spead-up New growth
with Raddy's help..renewed. Bird returning, inMass, animals running into burrows nearby, reclaiming their homes amoung the leaves

Gandy & Raddy (Maybe Saruman,too)
standing on either side of her,
with both Staffs pointed at DG!

Bomby dos not want to see The Phial
since it's introduction in FOTR
would be greatly diminished.

"Nuclear G-Lady" in FOTR
was a glimpse of what she would have become,
and Bomby Loved it.

(TheNEWEvilONE,Galadriel?) Bomby loves to paint WordPictures?

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 17 2013, 4:10pm

Post #22 of 75 (1169 views)
Shortcut
I actually don't get her concern for Gnadlaf in Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

since she woodenly acknowledges that he died in FOTR and that's all we ever get of their "friendship". Not the best conclusion to face-touching, going nucler to rescue him and then carrying him on her back/in her arms,etc. I'm just saying that for movies so obsessed with continuity with LOTR movies, they friendship from Hobbit has a really flat, shuggable end in LOTR.

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 17 2013, 4:11pm

Post #23 of 75 (1165 views)
Shortcut
Camp classic for sure [In reply to] Can't Post

One of better scenes in the trilogy...no.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 17 2013, 4:16pm

Post #24 of 75 (1165 views)
Shortcut
Less Gladriel the better, IMO [In reply to] Can't Post

I really have no reason to care for her based on what we saw in the movies. She's no rounded character, she's a glorified cameo, fan-service and "mo' female energy" gimmick, her scenes feel like they go on forever (even though they are short) and that slo-mo voice is totally grating, worse than Bat Voice. I mean, what the heck is that? No Elf speaks in slo mo why does she do that?

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Sep 17 2013, 7:15pm

Post #25 of 75 (1114 views)
Shortcut
True, but Galadriel Existed During The Hobbit At Least & She Was Part of The White Council [In reply to] Can't Post

Ins't Tauriel even more made up than Galadriel and even more put there just to put a female presence in the movie?

I say the more for both the better...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.