Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Flying intoYOUR Face 3D Moments?

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 16 2013, 5:06pm

Post #1 of 19 (668 views)
Shortcut
The Flying intoYOUR Face 3D Moments? Can't Post

Bomby honestly doesn't feel PJ OVERdid... it
(Just to get that OUT of the Way)

Favorite ONE
The Butterfly fleeing Gandalf
to alert the Eagles!
Sitting way back in the stadium seating
This thing truly flew right past my Ear!

Rather than Bomby's list...
State your favorite ONE
and Allow our VAST community
to explain their Favorites!

Everyone's feelings count HERE!

(Notice: Bomby doesn't like to write Long-winded)

CHEERS Gafferzzz
xo Bomby

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Sep 16 2013, 5:37pm

Post #2 of 19 (382 views)
Shortcut
Troll teeth after hit to face [In reply to] Can't Post

Fleuz
Lorien

Sep 16 2013, 6:11pm

Post #3 of 19 (364 views)
Shortcut
FOTR had more of those moments [In reply to] Can't Post

For example:

Sauron throws elfs and men to the camera
Gandalfīs fireworks (couple of times)
a hole lot of scenes in Moria

Iīm glad they donīt overdid this matter.
The flying teeth was fun indeed... Laugh

Arandir
Gondor

Sep 16 2013, 6:35pm

Post #4 of 19 (359 views)
Shortcut
Agree ... which is why 3D was unnecessary. [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't wish to start a debate, but since Bomby has mentioned the "in your face" issue, I thought I'd give my two cents.

For me, any film in 3D is really unnecessary, except for utilizing these "cool" moments that lunge at the audience. Some seem to believe that 3D actually helps the story and characters - not sure how exactly. It all boils down to the script and the performances. If they're good, they're good and if not, no amount of 3D will help improve that.

Having said that, I'm glad PJ didn't overdo that effect ... though I have a suspicious feeling that we will be seeing much more of them in the upcoming films, especially shots that involve Smaug and his fiery breath!Laugh

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

StarGodziller
Bree

Sep 16 2013, 7:06pm

Post #5 of 19 (319 views)
Shortcut
I do enjoy [In reply to] Can't Post

3-D in a movie sometimes. It can really enhance the experience. But I strongly agree that it's just an effect and ultimately the story is the most important aspect. Hugo was greatly enhanced by the 3-D and it felt like a moving storybook because of it, Pacific Rim also had pretty good 3-D despite the non-SFX stuff being a conversion.

One of my favorite 3-D shots in Unexpected Journey was the tracking shot down the Goblintown tunnels as the dwarves and Gandalf flee the goblins and right before they encounter the Great Goblin on the bridge.

However, is it me or is 3-D way more effective if you sit further away from the screen? I usually like to sit up close to the screen since it's the most immersive experience, however, with 3-D films I usually move a few rows back.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 16 2013, 7:15pm

Post #6 of 19 (308 views)
Shortcut
Okay, Already... Back on Topic? [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo's Vest Buttons....Flyin' Right into (OURS) & Gollum's Face...

BB has ended his "Buttoned-Down Existence"?

Gollum had NO Clue?
"What's Buttons,
Precious"?

Thizz Had a LOT of Serious
Metaphorical Meaning?

Bomby was Stunned
that PJ would take
this little Scene
and Make a
Metaphor
out of it!

Yay! PJ,FW,PB & TEAM!!!
(MORE Metaphorzz,
Please Kind Sirs!)

Bomby tryz to write
in Metaphor
as often
as
possible...

cats16
Valinor

Sep 16 2013, 8:02pm

Post #7 of 19 (293 views)
Shortcut
Not sure if this one counts... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I really loved the moment when Gollum throws the rock at Bilbo before chasing him. It's been too long since seeing it in 3D to remember, but did the rock actually come out of the screen?

Even if it didn't, I think it had the same effect on me. I jumped the first time I saw it. It was so forceful, and meant for harm. The ending of that scene remains one of my favorites in this entire film franchise.

(I also loved the butterfly flying at us, Bomby! It was very cool, and spectacular with the music playing as it flew.)

(This post was edited by cats16 on Sep 16 2013, 8:03pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 16 2013, 8:17pm

Post #8 of 19 (266 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely CatsDude...Gollum Can't Play Fair? [In reply to] Can't Post

Smeagol could..
G.. izz a sore
LOSER,
MURDERER
Thief

Often described as
" The MOST Vile Villain EVER created in English Literature"

That ROCK is our FACES
proves that Point!

Bomby hates watching that scene anymore,
It's soo vile, Nasty, cold..

Bomby doesn't want
to reminded
how mean
This World
is.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 16 2013, 8:27pm

Post #9 of 19 (277 views)
Shortcut
Arachnophobia ... [In reply to] Can't Post

(Sorry dormouse!)

In ROTK, Shelob moves straight towards the camera. Now in DOS, with a clutter of spiders all chasing Bilbo and the Dwarves ... there will be 3D legs, mouths, bodies, webs and stingers flying about everywhere. The Spider attack will certainly make for interesting 3D scene. Wink

I think my favourite 3D moment of AUJ wasn't an in-your-face moment at all. It has to be the Eagles flying towards the Carrock, with Gandalf suddenly swooping in front. I felt like I was flying (or falling!)

Kim
Valinor

Sep 16 2013, 8:47pm

Post #10 of 19 (268 views)
Shortcut
ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In ROTK, Shelob moves straight towards the camera. Now in DOS, with a clutter of spiders all chasing Bilbo and the Dwarves ... there will be 3D legs, mouths, bodies, webs and stingers flying about everywhere. The Spider attack will certainly make for interesting 3D scene. Wink

3D spiders?!? I was having a hard enough time preparing myself for more than one spider, I seriously didn't even considering the 3D aspect. Preparing my hiding place now...

I actually liked that AUJ didn't have a lot of in-your-face 3D moments - my favorite effect was when the camera pulled back as Thorin was watching Thror with his gold and it looked like Thorin was standing in the theater with us.

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 16 2013, 10:07pm

Post #11 of 19 (247 views)
Shortcut
The rain [In reply to] Can't Post

It was raining in the cinema as well as on Bilbo, Gandalf and the dwarves. That really struck me. And the burning pine cone that made everyone jump.

I am trying very, very hard NOT to imagine the s******, and to pretend I haven't read DanielLB's post... Wink

Nira
Lorien

Sep 16 2013, 10:58pm

Post #12 of 19 (235 views)
Shortcut
I enjoy the 3D [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it was a moth, not a butterfly that Gandalf uses to call the eagles. Anyway, that and the buttons are runners up... But, my favorite "in your face" 3D moment was the arrows being shot at the dwarves (and audience) in Goblin Town. That's the only time I've ever tried to dodge a 3D effect. Pretty cool.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 17 2013, 12:55am

Post #13 of 19 (222 views)
Shortcut
dormouse...Bomby is Bracing himself tonight with [In reply to] Can't Post

Howard Shore's Score
of the Movie
"The Fly"
w/ Geena Davis & Jeff Goldblum

Read once that PJ originally
wanted HS to Score LOTR
so ...that his "SHELOB THEME"
FREAKED out peeps like you!!

That Crazy Director didn't know
Then
what we know NOW...
about Mr. Shore...

PREPARE Thyselves.
SHELOB THEME...
TMES 50 or MORE!

...Meanwhile...back to AUJ
Bats from DG
chasing Raddy practically
BIT Everyone's Necky-iez?
Bomby ducked...

jtarkey
Rohan

Sep 17 2013, 10:01am

Post #14 of 19 (171 views)
Shortcut
There are two categories of 3D IMO... [In reply to] Can't Post

The first being the "fly in your face" kind.

The second simply adds depth and draws the viewer INTO the film instead of the film popping out at the viewer.

I find the latter to be the best option. When you have sequences designed strictly for 3D, it takes you out of the film instead of in. It also comes off as gimmicky. I actually thought AUJ did a good job of making the 3D subtle. Hopefully that trend continues.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Sep 17 2013, 10:09am

Post #15 of 19 (167 views)
Shortcut
The sparks [In reply to] Can't Post

coming out of the chimney was the best shot in the film, 3D or otherwise. (I'm not being sarcastic - it was a shot that took me straight back to reading the book.)

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

Oin K
Rivendell

Sep 17 2013, 7:03pm

Post #16 of 19 (124 views)
Shortcut
The only moment that comes to mind was the moldy cheese [In reply to] Can't Post

Just after Dwalin remarks that Bilbo's cheese is shot through with mold, he chucks it straight out towards Bilbo, and it sails right over the poor hobbit's shoulder and towards the camera.

At that point I started to worry there would be lots of those gimmicky "3D things flying at camera" moments, but my fears were for naught, for I didn't notice any others that stuck out.

"The Naugrim were ever, as they still remain, short and squat in stature; they were deep-breasted, strong in the arm, and stout in the leg, and their snouts were long. Indeed this strangeness they have that no Man nor Elf has ever seen a snoutless Dwarf - unless he were rhinoplasted in mockery, and would then be more like to die of shame than of many other hurts that to us would seem more deadly. For the Naugrim have snouts from the beginning of their lives, male and female alike..." (History of Middle Earth, volume 11, The War of the Truffles, p. 205)

Na Vedui
Rohan

Sep 18 2013, 8:05pm

Post #17 of 19 (75 views)
Shortcut
That darned pinecone... [In reply to] Can't Post

... it makes me jump every time!

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 18 2013, 9:37pm

Post #18 of 19 (65 views)
Shortcut
Yes, trouble is... [In reply to] Can't Post

I jump in 2D now as well, because I remember it so clearly in 3D!!

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2013, 3:52am

Post #19 of 19 (68 views)
Shortcut
My biggest jump in any movie [In reply to] Can't Post

was in 2D. It was the first time I saw TTT during the battle of Helm's Deep, at an IMAX theater. The moment the uruks battered down the door and lunged straight at the camera, I jerked in my seat and my left arm popped up in front of my face. A moment later I realized that it was an involuntary reaction ingrained in many SCA battles; I was instinctively raising my shield to block the spears coming at me. Yeah, I was really into the movie at that point!

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.