Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Looking for a quote on Peter Jackson's favourite shot/scene - Exodus from Edoras?

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 16 2013, 6:37am

Post #1 of 7 (435 views)
Shortcut
Looking for a quote on Peter Jackson's favourite shot/scene - Exodus from Edoras? Can't Post

The new CHOW discussion on The Hobbit board has raised a discussion on how visually similar the Dwarves exodus from Erebor is compared to the exodus from Edoras in The Two Towers.

Now, I seem to remember hearing (or reading) at one point that one of Peter Jackson's favourite shots/scenes in The Lord of the Rings trilogy was the exodus of Edoras - specifically the shot of all the Town's people leaving Edoras and walking along the contours of the surrounding land. I could be misremembering - the scene could also be the shot of the Rohirrim leaving Edoras (for Dunharrow) in The Return of the King, or it could be before the warg attack in The Two Towers.

Whichever shot it is, I can't seem to find the quote about or from Peter Jackson. So this really is quite a trivial question, but for peace of mind, I'd love to find the actual quote (if it exists at all). I seem to remember it being on one of the DVDs. I've checked all the cast and crew commentaries for The Two Towers and The Return of the King - and nothing was said. I've also briefly checked a couple of the other features, but without watching them all properly, I can't find what I'm looking for. I could have also skipped over, if it wasn't said during the actual scene taking place.

So in a last-ditch effort, I'm hoping that someone may remember where/when Peter Jackson said this (or whether someone said it of Jackson). Hopefully someone has watched the DVD Appendices recently, and can narrow it down for me. Tongue

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 16 2013, 4:07pm

Post #2 of 7 (259 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I did a search for "favourite" at the commentaries for FOTR and TTT that TORn MB member, Aragorn-Elessar transcribed starting here:

http://aragorn-elessar1.tripod.com/id1.html

None were for any of the scenes you describe although he says, "This is one of my favourites" quite a lot.

The ROTK commentaries weren't transcribed and the comment could have been made in another venue/extra.

Have you tried popping the EEs in and listening to the commentary during those scenes? You can, of course, eliminate doing that for FOTR and TTT since it's been transcribed. But you could do ROTK.

You could also read the transcripts for those scenes in TTT at AE's site and see if PJ uses another word than 'favourite.'

I've downloaded those transcripts onto my harddrive (along with one I've found of the cast commentary - and I have the commentary from Howard on my website) and I refer to them quite a lot.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Sep 16 2013, 4:07pm)

Dipling
Lorien

Sep 17 2013, 12:06pm

Post #3 of 7 (208 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson on LOTR in 2013 [In reply to] Can't Post

He mentions favorite scenes.
Not from TTT, but it is his favorite of the three.

http://youtu.be/IcZ6znw0Ug0

(This post was edited by Dipling on Sep 17 2013, 12:10pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 17 2013, 5:24pm

Post #4 of 7 (183 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for the link Magpie. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't realised someone had made transcripts already. Smile

I've already watched all the cast and crew commentaries for the scenes I thought it might be mentioned in, and I've now re-read the parts (thanks to the link), but still nothing. Unsure I also tried your suggesting of searching for the synonyms of "favourite".

I think the only option of finding the relevant quote is by playing all the extra features on the extended discs of TTT and ROTK. It must be buried deep in one of the features, and I'm not going to come across it the easy way. Not that I'm complaining ... the special features are pretty amazing.

Thanks anyway. Smile

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 17 2013, 5:31pm

Post #5 of 7 (180 views)
Shortcut
Rather a labor of love isn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

This week I am going to have a look too Daniel.

(Race you!!!!!) LaughLaughLaughLaughTongue

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 17 2013, 5:41pm

Post #6 of 7 (176 views)
Shortcut
That's a good incentive ... [In reply to] Can't Post

The first person to find the quote for me will win a free extended edition of The Hobbit, or a spoon. Whichever is cheapest.
Angelic

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 18 2013, 12:31am

Post #7 of 7 (208 views)
Shortcut
a Welsh love spoon, perhaps? // [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.