Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Why new character Beorn will become the real hero of The Hobbit trilogy

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Sep 16 2013, 2:31pm

Post #1 of 18 (1081 views)
Shortcut
Why new character Beorn will become the real hero of The Hobbit trilogy Can't Post

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/why-character-beorn-become-real-hero-hobbit-trilogy-103000776.html

RosieLass
Valinor

Sep 16 2013, 3:42pm

Post #2 of 18 (526 views)
Shortcut
I hope not. [In reply to] Can't Post

The movie isn't about Beorn any more than it's about Thranduil and the Elves.

Let Beorn (and the Elves) stay as a minor character where he belongs.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 16 2013, 3:54pm

Post #3 of 18 (447 views)
Shortcut
Break-out role? [In reply to] Can't Post

Once the company enters Mirkwood, there won't be anything further for Beorn to do until his re-appearance for the Battle of the Five Armies in The Hobbit: There and Back Again. His role is still very much a supporting one.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Sep 16 2013, 4:21pm

Post #4 of 18 (432 views)
Shortcut
beorn description article from TORN home page [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/09/16/78795-a-description-of-the-face-of-beorn/

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Sep 16 2013, 4:26pm

Post #5 of 18 (443 views)
Shortcut
Minor role [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the article is meaning he will be a fan favorite more than anything. In the grand scheme, even with the expansions hinted at in articles he will have a very limited amount of screen time. I still think it will mostly revolve around the first encounter and his arrival and turning the tide at the BoFA. There will likely be additional discussion and concern with Gandalf about, Mirkwood, Dol Guldor, and the Necromancer and maybe some material in him relaying the increasing activity of Goblins and Orcs in Misty Mountains, possibly some involvement in the White Council story line but in total that will still be minor. Assuming similar running times for movies 2 and three, I doubt he will total 20 minutes of 8 hours of movie. That is still very minor but yet enough where he may become a fan favorite.

(This post was edited by AncalagontheBlack on Sep 16 2013, 4:29pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 16 2013, 4:39pm

Post #6 of 18 (419 views)
Shortcut
Well, it's journalistic overstatement, isn't it... [In reply to] Can't Post

All it means is that Beorn will be a strong, dramatic character - and why not? He's unique in Tolkien's writing, and I don't doubt that they will be aiming for a look and performance that takes the audience's breath away. Anything else would be a let down and a failure to exploit what's in the book.

The way Beorn is being kept under wraps suggests to me that they are excited by what they've created and don't want to give away too much about him beforehand. It's all sounding good to me. But as for the real hero? No, that's Bilbo, and always will be - in the film, I believe, as well as the book (even though he would be the first to say that he's no hero. But it is his story).

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Sep 16 2013, 4:42pm

Post #7 of 18 (386 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I just liked the headline. Smile

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 16 2013, 4:44pm

Post #8 of 18 (357 views)
Shortcut
Fair enough! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Demosthenes
Sr. Staff

Sep 16 2013, 4:46pm

Post #9 of 18 (372 views)
Shortcut
wrapping paper removal in-progress. // [In reply to] Can't Post

TheOneRing.net Senior Staff
IRC Admin and Hall of Fire moderator

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 16 2013, 4:56pm

Post #10 of 18 (384 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. Fan favorite =/= hero of the story [In reply to] Can't Post

By that logic Boba fett would be the hero of Star Wars OT and he certianly isn't. he's only the fan favorite.

besides, a movie titled The Hobbit shouldn't be about a were-bear.

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Tauriel saved us from Itaril. Never forget.

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Sep 16 2013, 5:02pm

Post #11 of 18 (371 views)
Shortcut
Good comparison [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the Beorn/Boba Fett comparison is very good and probably what the author of that article was attempting to convey. Boba Fett's character has had an occult following sine Empire Strikes Back even though he only spoke a few words in the original movies and had a hand full of minutes of screen time. I actually think Beorn's role will be a little more involved than Boba's role but there must be a feeling by actors, crew and those that have seen him that he will be a very compelling character and be dominating during the screen time his role allows.

(This post was edited by AncalagontheBlack on Sep 16 2013, 5:05pm)

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2013, 5:16pm

Post #12 of 18 (343 views)
Shortcut
Boba Fett: the warlock? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you meant 'cult', not 'occult'.

Though my mind just had a few visions of him leaning over a boiling cauldron. Or people trying to revive him by occult means. Chuckles either way!!

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Sep 16 2013, 5:19pm

Post #13 of 18 (327 views)
Shortcut
Warlock Boba? [In reply to] Can't Post

Could be interesting but thanks, I did mean cult.Smile

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 16 2013, 8:18pm

Post #14 of 18 (245 views)
Shortcut
Lucas is kicking himself for not thinking of that [In reply to] Can't Post

when he came up with Boba clones. They could've jumped out of magic couldron instead of Kamino lab. Laugh

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Tauriel saved us from Itaril. Never forget.

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Sep 16 2013, 10:24pm

Post #15 of 18 (219 views)
Shortcut
Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

is a very interesting character. I'd expect him to be particularly popular with North American audiences.

I hope we get to see the bees and the bee meadows.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Sep 17 2013, 12:40am

Post #16 of 18 (187 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

As much as I like Beorn, he's only part of the film, not the focus. But tell that to Tauriel. Tongue

Snaga
Lorien

Sep 17 2013, 9:37pm

Post #17 of 18 (93 views)
Shortcut
Which brings to mind the question..... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

The way Beorn is being kept under wraps suggests to me that they are excited by what they've created and don't want to give away too much about him beforehand.

How much of Beorn do you supposed we will see in the extended trailer or trailers as December nears?

"Alas for Boromir! It was too sore a trial!"

-Faramir

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Sep 17 2013, 9:54pm

Post #18 of 18 (94 views)
Shortcut
not much [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it will be very little, a flash if we see anything at all. We might see some discussion and excitement expressed by PJ and Persbrandt's fellow actors in interviews that lead up to the release of the movie.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.