Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Calling all Calvin and Hobbes fans

RachellovesLOTR
Rivendell

Sep 16 2013, 1:00am

Post #1 of 19 (187 views)
Shortcut
Calling all Calvin and Hobbes fans Can't Post

Obviously we're all Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit fans. But what about Calvin and Hobbes? It's my favorite comic strip of all time. I really love the humor, artwork and dialogue.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 16 2013, 1:24am

Post #2 of 19 (126 views)
Shortcut
*raises hand* [In reply to] Can't Post

My all-time favorite comic strip as well. We've got all the books and still pull them out from time to time. It remains the only comic that consistently makes me laugh.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 16 2013, 1:30am

Post #3 of 19 (125 views)
Shortcut
Yep, another one here. [In reply to] Can't Post

The author is a genius. I have a particular love of Calvin's snowman art. Cool

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2013, 11:47am

Post #4 of 19 (103 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Gems, all of them.

Lily Brambleburr
The Shire

Sep 16 2013, 1:15pm

Post #5 of 19 (98 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

Calvin and Hobbes is brilliant. Bill Watterson is such a talented man.

I've seen some Calvin and Hobbes fan-made images with a Hobbit theme, where Bilbo and Gandalf are walking over a river.

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 16 2013, 2:56pm

Post #6 of 19 (93 views)
Shortcut
Loved this as a kid. I think I still might have a book or two floating around the place. [In reply to] Can't Post

Mat
The Shire

Sep 16 2013, 3:07pm

Post #7 of 19 (91 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Genius. [In reply to] Can't Post

Seconded on Watterson being a genius. Love, love, love, love this strip.

PISSING CONTEST (Heavy Punk)
www.facebook.com/pissingcontest

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Sep 16 2013, 3:08pm

Post #8 of 19 (89 views)
Shortcut
We have three or four of the books, at least. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Calvin and Hobbes! They are so hilarious. The snowmen, the transmogrifier, even the commentary on society and human nature... Tongue I particularly like it when Calvin mocks modern art, but that's just me.

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Mat
The Shire

Sep 16 2013, 3:09pm

Post #9 of 19 (88 views)
Shortcut
Spaceman Spliff. [In reply to] Can't Post

His first-person Sci-Fi adventures rocked!

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 16 2013, 3:47pm

Post #10 of 19 (98 views)
Shortcut
When I read books to elementary school kids... [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a unit on Dreams where I covered all the different sorts of 'dreams': sleeping dreams, aspirations, goals, etc.

I used Calvin and Hobbes strips for 'daydreams'

I don't bother reading many comic strips in the paper these days. I wish I had an ignore button for most of them. But I miss C&H.

I used to have this strip on my refrigerator to remind myself to find the humor in mothering.

http://bythelbs.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/scan0003.jpg

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 16 2013, 4:41pm

Post #11 of 19 (89 views)
Shortcut
C&H is one of the best! [In reply to] Can't Post

Anolther favorite of mine that no longer appears daily is Fox Trot by Bill Amend. You can probably guess that my favorite character is Jason Fox.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Mat
The Shire

Sep 16 2013, 4:45pm

Post #12 of 19 (83 views)
Shortcut
YES [In reply to] Can't Post

Huge fan of Foxtrot, as well. I have all of C&H anthology, all of the Foxtrot books... and ESPECIALLY all of the Far Side anthology books.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2013, 10:25pm

Post #13 of 19 (71 views)
Shortcut
Loved them... [In reply to] Can't Post

Still have a few of those books lying around the house....

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

http://donryfetor.blogspot.com/
@DonryFetor

The Grey Elf
Gondor

Sep 17 2013, 12:20am

Post #14 of 19 (69 views)
Shortcut
Two hands high in the air, one for Calvin, the other for [In reply to] Can't Post

Quess who? I introduced C&H to my daughter when she was in about 3rd grade. We now have several books that comprise every strip. She also loved having them read to her at bedtime, which could be tiring when it was Spaceman Spiff because every line ended with exclamation points!! Loved the humor and Calvin's way-out imagination. And Waterson was really an awesome artist -- remember his dinosaurs and some of the alien backdrops? Authentic rather than cartoony.

If there was one now-gone comic strip I had the power to bring back, it would have to be C & H.

Welcome more children to Middle Earth. Support The S.H.I.R.E. Project!

squire
Valinor

Sep 17 2013, 1:15am

Post #15 of 19 (65 views)
Shortcut
I'll read C&H anywhere, anytime. [In reply to] Can't Post

As they became rarer and rarer over the strip's lifetime, I always liked the appearances of Hobbes as a stuffed doll - shocking given his essential reality as a character and yet necessary. It reminded us that C&H was, in some way, Winnie the Pooh updated from an English nursery to a late 20th century American suburb.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Sep 17 2013, 5:07am

Post #16 of 19 (49 views)
Shortcut
Looooove Calvin and Hobbes! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Sep 17 2013, 3:31pm

Post #17 of 19 (38 views)
Shortcut
Yes, yes, yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite of all time!

I went into mourning when he stopped producing them.Unsure

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Sep 17 2013, 3:35pm

Post #18 of 19 (37 views)
Shortcut
One of my favorites [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.gocomics.com/...andhobbes/1986/09/27

Eldorion
Rohan

Sep 17 2013, 4:40pm

Post #19 of 19 (34 views)
Shortcut
Calvin and Hobbes is still my favorite comic strip [In reply to] Can't Post

I spent a couple of years when I was a kid obsessively gathering all the Calvin and Hobbes collections I could find until I was certain that I had read every C&H strip ever published. Then less than a year after I was finished, the official Complete Collection was published and I felt a bit silly. Crazy I still haven't bought that cause I couldn't justify the $150 price tag when I already owned everything included in it.

NB I'd recommend every C&H read the Calvin and Hobbes Tenth Anniversary Book if you haven't before. It's a great look into the history of the strip and the mind of the famously reclusive Bill Watterson. Smile

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.