Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Spotted in Estes Park, Colorado
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 14 2013, 12:30am

Post #26 of 35 (66 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Those elevations flummox me Kim! The tallest point on Long Island is 122 feet. The average height above sea level is *I think* a whopping 17 feet, or something ridiculous like that.

Adding: And Congrats on Rivendell!!!!! Take it easy on the cordials at first though, its strong stuff.

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

(This post was edited by Brethil on Sep 14 2013, 12:31am)

Kim
Valinor

Sep 14 2013, 12:35am

Post #27 of 35 (65 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I live at sea level too [In reply to] Can't Post

and the altitude really hit me this time (headaches) . The views sure are great though!

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Sep 14 2013, 2:04am

Post #28 of 35 (63 views)
Shortcut
sorry you are experiencing such alarming weather [In reply to] Can't Post

we on the east coast may especially empathize, as almost this time last year we were hit with sandy.

rather scary when the weather is powerful enough to make a serious mark. i have a friend who lives in colorado, and she says it's quite bad.

glad you're safe. : )

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Kim
Valinor

Sep 14 2013, 2:11am

Post #29 of 35 (68 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Maciliel [In reply to] Can't Post

I was actually just visiting family, and left for home (Seattle) just before the weather broke. Luckily, they're all ok, but it sure is scary.

Sorry to see the news about the New Jersey boardwalk fire - heartbreaking it happened just after being rebuilt and opening up again.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Sep 14 2013, 2:15am

Post #30 of 35 (57 views)
Shortcut
yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

the shore's really taken a beating. wonderfully, crises bring out some of the best qualities in so many people.

cheers ---

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 14 2013, 3:40am

Post #31 of 35 (52 views)
Shortcut
Oh, wow. I'm glad you got out. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have friends in Estes who posted on facebook that while they're fine, they can't get out, and may not be able to for a long time to come.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Kim
Valinor

Sep 14 2013, 3:45am

Post #32 of 35 (56 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially now that I've experienced the drive over View Ridge Road - a little nerve-wracking even in good weather. Wow, that's just incredible that they may not be able to get out for a long time.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 14 2013, 4:21am

Post #33 of 35 (53 views)
Shortcut
Well, I was wrong. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just heard on the news that they've opened the Peak to Peak Highway from Estes Park south, and they can get to Boulder from there, which surprises the heck out of me. Only people from Estes are being allowed to go that way, though.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Kim
Valinor

Sep 14 2013, 4:31am

Post #34 of 35 (58 views)
Shortcut
Well that's good news! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Glaurung63
Lorien

Sep 15 2013, 9:26pm

Post #35 of 35 (84 views)
Shortcut
Lodge is on riverside drive [In reply to] Can't Post

Now I remember it, we stayed nearby...saw an elk and baby next to the road...that whole road was flooded, saw YouTube vids posted by residents...crazy, I feel for the people...I loved visiting and want to go back. Rocky Mt. National park. Hiking to Dream Lake and Emerald Lake felt very middle earthy!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.