Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Is anyone else watching the America's Cup today?

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 14 2013, 8:56pm

Post #1 of 11 (123 views)
Shortcut
Is anyone else watching the America's Cup today? Can't Post

How's your heart after that near-capsize?

Some photos and a live commentary here: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/...mp;objectid=11124987

Video of the eek moment: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/...mp;gallery_id=137836

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Sep 14 2013, 9:16pm)

Elizabeth
Valinor

Sep 14 2013, 9:47pm

Post #2 of 11 (80 views)
Shortcut
I've been following the campaign all along. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish it were a little closer, it would be more fun. The Kiwis are doing great, and seem a cinch to win. Glad they're ok after that oopsie!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 14 2013, 10:05pm

Post #3 of 11 (75 views)
Shortcut
My heart rate still hasn't slowed down [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course, we're watching it avidly . BG has been an America's Cup fan forever and after the last few weeks of watching the Louis Vutton, and now the cup, I'm definitely a convert.

I think I stopped breathing when the Kiwi boat almost went over! Every time I watch the replay it scares the stuffing out of me. Shocked Too bad they called off the 2nd race. We were hoping for another Kiwi win capped off by winning the cup tomorrow. Now, if they win it, it may be in the middle of the week and it's not quite as exciting watching the udates on the internet as opposed to watching it on TV.

Go Kiwis!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 14 2013, 10:44pm

Post #4 of 11 (72 views)
Shortcut
My stomach actually lurched [In reply to] Can't Post

as I watched that boat go up, up, up, and then down, down, down. Eeek!
It was the most exciting thing I have seen so far, as the America's Cup is not my cup of tea.
Plus, the colours of those boats are totally round the wrong way. Crazy
Give me a horse any day. Laugh

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 14 2013, 10:49pm

Post #5 of 11 (70 views)
Shortcut
I was proud of the boys [In reply to] Can't Post

to be ready to go straight into the second race without hesitation - and they were pulling away from Oracle when the race was called off! That is determined and ice-cool sailing. Had I been on that boat, I'd have wanted a cup of tea and lie-down.

Tell you what, Aotearoa is one tough boat. It has semi-submerged and now almost tipped over, and still it keeps going.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 14 2013, 10:51pm

Post #6 of 11 (71 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if the collective gasp of horror [In reply to] Can't Post

from those watching on shore created enough vacuum to drag the boat back from the brink. Wink

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 14 2013, 10:54pm

Post #7 of 11 (67 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that's it [In reply to] Can't Post

We should get DanielLB to check out the science of your theory. I'd say it stacks up.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 14 2013, 10:57pm

Post #8 of 11 (66 views)
Shortcut
It gives a whole new meaning to the phrase.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Suck it up! Laugh

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Elizabeth
Valinor

Sep 15 2013, 8:11am

Post #9 of 11 (73 views)
Shortcut
When we were in Auckland in 2011 [In reply to] Can't Post

...for only 2 days, we spent half of one of them touring the maritime museum, which has a major section devoted to Americas Cup 1995 win with NZL32, "Black Magic". I remember that campaign vividly -- in fact, we were living in LA then, and actually went to San Diego to see one of the races, on a chartered boat in the bay.

Among other things, I remember NZ's ad, one of the best ads I've ever seen for anything. It featured a young boy with a small sailboat, out on the water by himself, having a wonderful time. Then big, beautiful Black Magic sails into the frame, and he just watches it pass, adoringly. The only words of the whole ad then appear: "This time."

Chills.

On our last day in Auckland in 2011 I managed to find out where the shed in the Viaduct Basin was, where the 45m new AC prototype was kept during preliminary trials. We walked over there in the morning before heading for the airport, and I got to admire it. Here's a picture:

That day was Feb. 22, 2011.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Sep 15 2013, 8:12am)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 15 2013, 7:18pm

Post #10 of 11 (39 views)
Shortcut
How cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you do any sailing? (I'm not a boat-person, at all, but I always get hooked into the America's Cup for some reason.)

Ataahua's stories

Elizabeth
Valinor

Sep 16 2013, 12:13am

Post #11 of 11 (37 views)
Shortcut
Not really. But I catch rides when I can! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a few sailing friends here in Hawaii.

A couple of years ago when we were on Maui for the weekend we took a ride in one of the old monohull AC boats, a modified version of the original America II yacht that lost to Dennis Connor's Stars and Stripes in the late 80's. They motor out to the trade winds (about 30 min from Lahaina) and then spend about 45 minutes on a wild ride healed over 45 degrees and splashing through the waves. Everyone gets soaked, but it's incredibly fun.

In the Viaduct Basin, Emirates NZ has two old AC yachts, and they take people out racing. I'm sure that's even more fun, but we didn't have time to do it.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.