Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The explanation of the eagles is in!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

AshNazg
Rohan

Sep 13 2013, 12:54pm

Post #1 of 45 (1861 views)
Shortcut
The explanation of the eagles is in! Can't Post

Just watching through the DragonCon footage and, in one of the many anecdotes, Gandalf's line "And that's why the eagles will take you no further" is mentioned!

http://youtu.be/zW5bB7pF5mo

So there will (or was going to be) some explanation of why the eagles don't fly them all the way Smile

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Sep 13 2013, 12:55pm)

Old Toby
Gondor

Sep 13 2013, 3:42pm

Post #2 of 45 (799 views)
Shortcut
The beagles are coming! The beagles are coming! [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL! Thanks for the link. I'll have to watch them ALL!! These guys are such a hoot!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Sep 13 2013, 4:52pm

Post #3 of 45 (706 views)
Shortcut
Graham McTavish does a mighty fine impression of Ian McKellen, does he not?//:) [In reply to] Can't Post

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

(This post was edited by Radagast-Aiwendil on Sep 13 2013, 4:52pm)

xxxyyy
Rohan

Sep 13 2013, 4:53pm

Post #4 of 45 (752 views)
Shortcut
Hope it's in the movie... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just a little explanation would be extremely welcome.
In LOTR was not necessary, IMHO.
But here in the Hobbit, without flying beasts of the Nazgul... well...
Who knows, we might get some Eagles backstory?
Good, I'm again looking forward to these movies.

http://energyfromthorium.com/

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Sep 13 2013, 6:59pm

Post #5 of 45 (628 views)
Shortcut
Well... there was this dragon thing... [In reply to] Can't Post

which is huge, can fly and can use fire to make a nice meal out of a big but for small eagle (or was it beagle?).

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Sep 13 2013, 7:08pm

Post #6 of 45 (613 views)
Shortcut
A dragon that has not been seen for 60 years? [In reply to] Can't Post

No, the eagles just don't want to go near men.

"The Lord of Eagles would not take them anywhere near where men lived. "They would shoot us with their great bows of yew," he said, "for they would think we were after their sheep. And at other times they would be right." - Out of the Frying-Pan and Into the Fire, The Hobbit.

This would also be a great time for Gandalf to explain how good certain men are at archery Wink

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Sep 13 2013, 7:10pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Sep 13 2013, 7:19pm

Post #7 of 45 (572 views)
Shortcut
Very misleading title. ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Grey Wanderer
Lorien

Sep 13 2013, 10:53pm

Post #8 of 45 (464 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for the link [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed both panels! The poster deserves great credit and thanks for the quality of the recordings in high def. Definitely worth watching them all - not just the bit about the Beagles...even a few vague hints of things to come (not too much as no one wanted to get "axed").

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 14 2013, 12:33am

Post #9 of 45 (424 views)
Shortcut
Manu Bennet..Does anyone know where this Name "Manu" comes from?/// [In reply to] Can't Post

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Sep 14 2013, 12:42am

Post #10 of 45 (428 views)
Shortcut
Sure hope it makes it into DoS... [In reply to] Can't Post

...if only so we won't hear the general movie audience asking about it anymore, thinking they've uncovered some obvious plot-hole...

Lio
Lorien

Sep 14 2013, 1:36am

Post #11 of 45 (484 views)
Shortcut
But is it necessary? =P [In reply to] Can't Post

I dunno, I just feel like such an inclusion might seem forced. But then, I never really understood why the eagle thing is some big problem that needs an explanation. If the eagles ever help someone, it's of their own free will and they certainly don't owe it to anyone to shuttle them all over Middle-earth on business that doesn't even concern them.

Now, if they give the line to Captain Obvious Legolas instead of Gandalf… Wink

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

"Don't laugh at the Dwarves because they will mess you up." — Dean O'Gorman (Fili)

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

xxxyyy
Rohan

Sep 14 2013, 1:48am

Post #12 of 45 (434 views)
Shortcut
I hope tey do not give us that explanation. [In reply to] Can't Post

There's no man between them and the Lonley Mountain.
I hope they come up with something more... Valinor oriented.
Yes, much more difficult to pull off, but otherwise the Eagles would turn out to be too weak and the Man too stupid.
Also, Eagles could fly at 1 mile altidue? No arrow could reach them there.

http://energyfromthorium.com/

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Sep 14 2013, 2:18am

Post #13 of 45 (407 views)
Shortcut
Google knows all! [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently, Manu is a male name in Maori, and means "power".

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Sep 14 2013, 2:19am

Post #14 of 45 (428 views)
Shortcut
??? [In reply to] Can't Post

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 14 2013, 2:40am

Post #15 of 45 (416 views)
Shortcut
I think that title (Captain Obvious) might have to go to Kili [In reply to] Can't Post

If there is a key......(clicking of brain wheels)

There must be a door!!

No offense intended, just mildly poking fun!

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 14 2013, 3:17am

Post #16 of 45 (391 views)
Shortcut
Nope [In reply to] Can't Post

The Maori word manu means 'bird', and can also mean 'kite', as well as the concept 'to float'. I don't know which of these is correct in the context of Manu Bennett's naming.

You might be getting mixed up with the word mana, which means prestige, power and influence.

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Sep 14 2013, 4:57am

Post #17 of 45 (384 views)
Shortcut
Men shooting arrows... [In reply to] Can't Post

I never really liked the explanation in the Hobbit (book) very much either. I'd prefer a more in depth explanation too, or even just something simple like "It's not their job to carry you around wherever you want to go."Tongue

Whatever the explanation turns out to be in the movie, I'm just really relieved that they're at least going to address the issue. That's always been my biggest grip with the whole eagles thing. It's never been addressed in the movies (until now it seems), and even in the books it's barely touched on.

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Sep 14 2013, 4:58am)

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Sep 14 2013, 5:20am

Post #18 of 45 (380 views)
Shortcut
i think it is explained [In reply to] Can't Post

the moth is told from gandalf that he needs their help...

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

redgiraffe
Rohan

Sep 14 2013, 5:27am

Post #19 of 45 (351 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If the eagles ever help someone, it's of their own free will and they certainly don't owe it to anyone to shuttle them all over Middle-earth on business that doesn't even concern them.

That's what I always thought the main reason was for them not taking people anywhere. I always saw them as kind of like the Ents, ultimately not evil though not taking part (or sides) in the war. They have their own thing. So why should they risk themselves just because all the people want to get into a war?

And I think that idea still fits with the statement in the book of them not wanting to go near men. Clearly they aren't friends with men because men don't seem to know what the eagles' intentions are with their sheep.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

redgiraffe
Rohan

Sep 14 2013, 5:30am

Post #20 of 45 (354 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If there is a key......(clicking of brain wheels)

There must be a door!!

No offense intended, just mildly poking fun!

It's certainly not as bad as Legolas saying, "A diversion!"

I wanted Aragorn to turn around and say, "REALLY, LEGO?! IS THAT WHAT IT'S ****ING CALLED?!"

(This post was edited by redgiraffe on Sep 14 2013, 5:30am)

redgiraffe
Rohan

Sep 14 2013, 5:34am

Post #21 of 45 (369 views)
Shortcut
It is [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
the moth is told from gandalf that he needs their help...

There are certainly quite a few explanations that are understood to Tolkien fans (ex: can't exactly just FLY into Mordor). The problem is the general audience (like Kevin Smith) need it spelled out for them on a spoon and then fed directly into their mouth. They don't exactly know how to use reasoning or context clues, it seems.

No offense meant to anyone who didn't understand why they didn't just use the eagles. My anger is mostly directed towards kevin smith.

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Sep 14 2013, 5:50am

Post #22 of 45 (360 views)
Shortcut
The moth [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think the moth was ever part of the problem. I think people understand that part.

The real issue for general movie audiences is "why couldn't the eagles just take the dwarves the rest of the way? The mountain is RIGHT THERE."

redgiraffe
Rohan

Sep 14 2013, 6:08am

Post #23 of 45 (337 views)
Shortcut
Mhmm [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I don't think the moth was ever part of the problem. I think people understand that part.

The real issue for general movie audiences is "why couldn't the eagles just take the dwarves the rest of the way? The mountain is RIGHT THERE."

I agree with that, though people were complaining about it during LOTR which I guess had more reasoning as to why the eagles wouldn't go any further. And that's really what I was addressing as well. I think in LOTR it's pretty easy to come up with some plausible ideas as to why the Eagles didn't take them to Mordor.

And you bring up a good point though about The Hobbit. The reasons seem less obvious now.

Old Pilgrim
Rivendell

Sep 14 2013, 6:12am

Post #24 of 45 (352 views)
Shortcut
Why couldn't the eagles just take the dwarves the rest of the way [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be nice to explain that to general movie audience but even if they don't I won't be in the bad mood if they make a good movie. Eagles are proud birds who have no masters and using them as horses is just against their nature.

Elizabeth
Valinor

Sep 14 2013, 6:53am

Post #25 of 45 (340 views)
Shortcut
If the Eagles ever help someone... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, you and I know it's their choice. And they're independent creatures, maybe even maiar, and all that. I know this.

But the general public doesn't, and there's the rub. "Oh, they called in Eagles, who rescued them, but took them only part way and abandoned them on top of this high thing? Why not go the whole way?"

It's a reasonable question. Some kind of answer is required.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.