Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
so is WB ever going to.....whats the word im looking for
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

TheCoon
Lorien

Sep 12 2013, 8:19pm

Post #1 of 32 (1688 views)
Shortcut
so is WB ever going to.....whats the word im looking for Can't Post

PROMOTE THIS FILM!? I FEEL LIKE US TOLIKIEN DIEHARDS ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO KNOW THIS FILM EXISTS WE HAVE GOTTEN ZILCH SINCE THE TRAILER OR THE LAST VLOG I CANT EVEN MEMBER WHICH CAME LAST AND THE FILM IS THREE MONTHS AWAY I AM REALLY WORRIED FOR THE BOX OFFICE NOW UNLESS MARKETING RAMPS US QUICK

(This post was edited by Altaira on Sep 13 2013, 12:54am)

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2013, 8:26pm

Post #2 of 32 (919 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't panic though the marketing is somewhat lax. [In reply to] Can't Post

As I noted awhile ago, I never saw the DOS trailer after any movie when it was supposed to be shown. People will get the promos several weeks before it comes out (I bet after October as part of the holiday movie push.. I think that was similar to AUJ, right?

http://www.bloomberg.com/...-sales-increase.html
Time Warner Beats Profit Estimates as Ad Revenue Increases
By Edmund Lee - Aug 7, 2013 3:19 PM GMT-0500

"...The Warner Bros. division’s sales gained 13 percent to $2.94 billion, lifted by movies such as “Man of Steel” and “The Great Gatsby.” Time Inc.’s sales dropped 2.9 percent to $833 million..."

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Sep 12 2013, 8:29pm)

Long Hammer
The Shire

Sep 12 2013, 8:31pm

Post #3 of 32 (912 views)
Shortcut
just remember [In reply to] Can't Post

the first hobbit movie had the first trailer in Dec. of 2011 - and then didn't start up the next round of trailers until Sept, 2012.

The new trailers will be coming soon - probably on Sept. 22. (if not a little sooner).

The difference for fans is we had a bunch of video blogs from PJ and we are not getting those this time around because all the blogs we saw before were from filming of all 3 movies. Now there is less to show.

TheCoon
Lorien

Sep 12 2013, 8:34pm

Post #4 of 32 (960 views)
Shortcut
This film wont make near as much as AUJ in the box office [In reply to] Can't Post

if promotion doesnt ramp up soon

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 12 2013, 9:17pm

Post #5 of 32 (815 views)
Shortcut
TC...SHOUTING won't change anything.../// [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 12 2013, 9:37pm

Post #6 of 32 (807 views)
Shortcut
I can't say last year was much different ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Apart from the second trailer, and a lot of news surrounding it, all we really got was new pictures and couple of pieces of merchandise related news. That's pretty much the same as it is today.

See here, here, and here.

A new trailer and/or vlog will be planned for just around the corner. I think it's a case of being patient. Smile One trailer is enough to kick start interest in general movie goers. Both Peter Jackson and Warner Bros. are keenly aware of how to promote a film.

Welsh hero
Gondor

Sep 12 2013, 10:43pm

Post #7 of 32 (744 views)
Shortcut
You promote a film much closer to when that film is released [In reply to] Can't Post

From end of this month onwards there will be a lot of promotion

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Noria
Rohan

Sep 12 2013, 11:37pm

Post #8 of 32 (692 views)
Shortcut
I agree with Welsh hero. Stay calm. It will come. [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ itself had already prepared the way for DoS to an extent and the promotion of the EE coming in November will be another reminder to casual fans.

I bet that pretty soon WB's promotional machine will get busy -another trailer, TV spots, interviews etc.

I think that the vlogs are PJ's gifts to us die-hard movie fans, not really intended to promote the movie to the general public.

TheCoon
Lorien

Sep 13 2013, 12:38am

Post #9 of 32 (642 views)
Shortcut
mayb ur right [In reply to] Can't Post

but if it was me id be shoving this film down the peoples throats for several months

Nira
Lorien

Sep 13 2013, 1:02am

Post #10 of 32 (665 views)
Shortcut
Don't want it confused with AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ was in theaters for a while into 2013. They don't want people to think they have already seen "the Hobbit movie." I could watch Hobbit commercials every day, but I can see how it's better to have a big gap of time between sequels so all the would-be-fans are on the same page.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Sep 13 2013, 11:19am

Post #11 of 32 (480 views)
Shortcut
Indeed, the usual marketing strategy is to ignore things like "hobbit day/week" [In reply to] Can't Post

These kinds of days for franchises are usually times when marketing isn't necessary, because the day its self acts as a kind of advert, where fans do all kinds of things that inadvertently promote the franchise.

However, 22nd of September is just too perfect a time to begin advertising for DoS, even if it wasn't Hobbit day, it would still be the most likely time for a promotion, because it marks about 12 weeks from the movie's release.

I think they might stay quiet and let 22 Sept do its job by advertising for them. And then I think they'll release a trailer about a week later (Just after Hobbit week dies down). Wink My predictions are often fairly accurate, so you can note that one down in your diary if you want. Smile

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 13 2013, 11:23am

Post #12 of 32 (505 views)
Shortcut
Hey, steady on there! [In reply to] Can't Post

The promotion is starting. Not an avalanche yet, just a quiet drip-feed. I was in my local bookshop this morning and noticed a stand with The Hobbit board game and The Hobbit Monopoly, and Hobbit toys and key rings and stuff, all new since last week. There's the Annual too...

It's OK, I'm sure. No point in promoting it too soon - they don't want people to get all excited about it now and forget it in two months time. Be patient - it'll come.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 13 2013, 2:48pm

Post #13 of 32 (428 views)
Shortcut
WB [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
but if it was me id be shoving this film down the peoples throats for several months

I think corporate types like WB know how to sell. And I'm pretty sure they'll do it with good grammar, including punctuation, to make it comprehensible.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Sep 13 2013, 2:49pm)

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 13 2013, 4:08pm

Post #14 of 32 (407 views)
Shortcut
They don't need to oversell a known property with a big fanbase [In reply to] Can't Post

It's original movies and franchise starters that need 24-7 promo blitz to create awareness but not an established franchise like this.

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Tauriel saved us from Itaril. Never forget.

Snaga
Lorien

Sep 13 2013, 11:12pm

Post #15 of 32 (327 views)
Shortcut
Whether or not I get mad at WB will be determined in November [In reply to] Can't Post

When the EE's of AUJ come out.

The appendices and extra content in the LOTR EE's were a mainstay for my family for years, and we watched them over and over. I've been concerned that WB would pressure Peter Jackson into going light on the extra content as a lot of studios have seen expanded blu-ray as not all "the thing" when it comes to profit.

The descriptions I've seen of the upcoming release looks promising, but I admit I'm still a little worried.

"Alas for Boromir! It was too sore a trial!"

-Faramir

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Sep 13 2013, 11:55pm

Post #16 of 32 (303 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. There will probably be a Vlog this month. Then, in October, I'd expect trailer 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

as well as the fact that AUJ will be rotating (and is already being promoted) on HBO, and with November, EE release and heavy promotion for the movie.

In Reply To
From end of this month onwards there will be a lot of promotion

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Patty
Immortal

Sep 14 2013, 1:08am

Post #17 of 32 (316 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I agree with whomever it was on here that said.. [In reply to] Can't Post

it will undoubtedly be ramped up in a major way with the Nov.5 th release of The Hobbit AUJ EE. They will sell each other.

Permanent address: Into the West

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 14 2013, 10:55am

Post #18 of 32 (276 views)
Shortcut
EE is fandom event rather than general audience one [In reply to] Can't Post

So that wouldn't give them enough exposure. However, according to many media outlets, a super storm and a hurricane are coming in November so tentpoles would want to attach their trailers to those forces of nature for maximum exposure.

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 14 2013, 1:08pm

Post #19 of 32 (257 views)
Shortcut
Not sure if you're being serious here... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but if you are, storms and hurricanes however devastating, only affect very restricted areas and limited populations. Besides, their effects are so negative, who would want to use them for publicity...?

No, it doesn't make any sense at all, I must be misunderstanding you. What did you mean?

(This post was edited by dormouse on Sep 14 2013, 1:10pm)

Skaan
Lorien

Sep 14 2013, 1:17pm

Post #20 of 32 (255 views)
Shortcut
He/she probably means [In reply to] Can't Post

A storm of marketing, hype and publicitySmile

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 14 2013, 1:36pm

Post #21 of 32 (252 views)
Shortcut
End of the year most anticipated movies [In reply to] Can't Post

Various media outlets are picking insane interest in 2 November movies which they rank as #1 and #2 most anticipated by a large margin. Actually, the margin between #1 and #2 is even more staggering than between #2 and #3. So WB would definitely want to attach the trailer or one or both. It looks like some records will be broken in November and Iron Man 3 may hold its horses as far as boxoffice winner goes.

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 14 2013, 1:54pm

Post #22 of 32 (243 views)
Shortcut
OK - I get it now... [In reply to] Can't Post

... funny old thing, language!

Noria
Rohan

Sep 15 2013, 12:01am

Post #23 of 32 (181 views)
Shortcut
Semper, I'm not quite sure why you are being coy about naming these movies, [In reply to] Can't Post

but I assume that you're referring to Ender's Game, Thor II and Catching Fire. All look like fun movies and I may see them all but you never know what's going to fall flat, despite all the hype in the world.

Are any of them WB movies or are trailers attached to any movie of the same general type?

TheCoon
Lorien

Sep 15 2013, 2:18am

Post #24 of 32 (207 views)
Shortcut
if i had to make an educated guess [In reply to] Can't Post

i bet the next trailer is with that awful gravity film since wb is hyping the visuals to death i just cant wait!!!! 3 months away from antoher 3 hour tour ( not a gilligans island refrence) of middle earth!!!!!!!! we just got a new cinemark the old theater i mentioned last year the one i hadnt been to in years but it hsd the hfr was a cinemark i wonder if the new place will have hfr automatically or if ill have to go to the old one again (cause ill do it it was AMAZING)

(This post was edited by Altaira on Sep 15 2013, 6:12pm)

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 15 2013, 4:00pm

Post #25 of 32 (120 views)
Shortcut
Punctuation, etc. [In reply to] Can't Post

Please use capitalization, commas and periods. They are your friend. It is quite difficult to read posts without them, or take them seriously. I'd rather see and enjoy your message than just dismiss the mess.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.