Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Sep 13 2013, 4:32am

Post #1 of 17 (137 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

It's another week, another opportunity to let your fellow TORn Walkers know how far you've traveled in Middle Earth by exercising in this one! We've just finished the There and Back Again group challenge, getting Bilbo and company all the way to the Lonely Mountain and back (woohoo!). The individual challenge is still going for anyone who wants to stick with Bilbo's journey through the premiere of the last Hobbit movie. But there are many other journeys through Middle Earth to inspire and motivate you to exercise - check out the links to the Eowyn Challenge and grammaboodawg's Walk to Rivendell site for ideas. And remember, the Walk is open to all TORnFolk, regardless of fitness level. Whether you travel one mile or 50, we'll celebrate with you and encourage you on!

(P.S. Joe-M, those photos were wonderful - thanks for posting them!)

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 10
Cumulative miles: 755
Goal: There and Back Again!

I've been focusing on being more active throughout the day lately and wearing a pedometer. I want to move more, though, so I'm going to try (carefully) getting back on the treadmill. Nice and slow at first, so my weak knee and creaky toe don't have the chance to squawk at me again!

Beamer's progress:
Miles covered this week: 10
Cumulative miles: 762

Arandiel

The Scoop on the Walk
The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread meets right here on Main, on Thursdays.
Learn about TORn's There and Back Again Challenge

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity. Please visit the Eowyn Challenge site, especially the main page and the Walk page, for more information. Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site for Bilbo's return mileages from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End, some helpful activity conversion charts, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page to register miles

If you use the Eowyn Challenge site to track your progress, please update your mileage via the login page, and be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Angharad73
Rohan

Sep 13 2013, 9:33am

Post #2 of 17 (88 views)
Shortcut
It's Autumn... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm finally back home after all the visiting and traveling over the summer holidays. My daughter is back at school as well, so I have a bit of time to get some exercise in the morning (not to mention that I have to get up earlier and get out of the house to drop her off). Unfortunately, though, the weather has suddenly turned quite cool and damp. But still, I try to get out more.

Miles covered: 36
Cumulative miles: 1163

So, I'm not sure where in Middle Earth I am exactly, but I guess it must be somewhere on the way back towards Beorn's house.

Delrond
Rohan

Sep 13 2013, 11:10am

Post #3 of 17 (102 views)
Shortcut
Rounding third, heading for home. [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings fellow walkers, runners, hikers, bikers, treadmillers, spelunkers, gardeners and people who are ignoring their turn.

I am pleased to say that my mileage this week has finally brought me to Bag End! I had a few sporks to calm Bilbo's nerves in the near term, but there is a long-anticipated meeting with gramma and sil at the Green Dragon that I must attend. Up high Cool.

I am ready for tomorrow's race and the weather is cooperating nicely. Should be around 50 degrees by race time, which is perfect running weather. Little D has been buried under an avalanche of homework, so his basketball practicing has suffered a bit. This evening will be a great opportunity to get back outside and shoot some hoops.

This week's miles: 40.8
Cumulative miles: 2086.1

Drinks are on me. Come one, come all!

A final word: Many thanks to all who post here, reading everyone's updates has been a continuing source of motivation for me over the past 2 years. Special thanks to Arandiel, gramma and sil (although sil completed the challenge a while back, he was a great motivator!).

Have a great weekend everyone!

Let the celebration begin - Little D already has. Smile

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Elwen
Lorien

Sep 13 2013, 3:19pm

Post #4 of 17 (79 views)
Shortcut
I've been running more lately [In reply to] Can't Post

but not keeping track of miles as well as I should. The elleth and I are running in a Color Run later this month. I haven't run a 5k in 20+ years, despite being a distance runner before the long hiatus. It's been a lot of fun training with her.

(And we can't wait to be running rainbows!!)

photo Desolation-of-Smaug2_zpsc1584ee1.jpg
Tauriel: So let me get this straight sir, this Elwen girl is back on something called TORn, and rather than just tell her to stop stalking you, you'd like me to show up in a movie I have no business being in as a ploy to distract her, and nevermind the wrath of countless Tolkien fans who will be calling for my destruction?

Legolas: That about sums it up. Besides, some people might like you. Oh, and to be on the safe side, can we pretend to be a couple too?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 14 2013, 2:08am

Post #5 of 17 (80 views)
Shortcut
Howdy All! I've had another slow week [In reply to] Can't Post

while spending most of my days and nights at the computer. HOWEVER, the eBay TORn Fundraiser I was working on finished Thursday night. *whew* So once I get the stats and finishing touches put together and sent off, I'm free to get back to business. Between sitting and some steroids I had to take a bit ago, I've gained back the 7 lbs it took months to lose. SO, I'm looking forward to attacking my little battle again ;D It was so worth it to finally give back a bit to TORn...it's given me so much!!

I'm glad the pedometer is working so well for you, Arandiel! I've used one before, and think that it might be something to use again! It's very inspiring to actually see the progress like that.

I hope everyone is having a great week and a wonderful weekend!! Hang in there folks, and I'll see you on the Road!

Miles covered: 7 miles
Cumulated miles: 23130
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)

Light the Beacons: TheOneRing.net's Fellowship Fundraiser on eBay!

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 14 2013, 12:35pm

Post #6 of 17 (69 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back :D [In reply to] Can't Post

You summer sounds like it was way busy, but way fun!! Having the kids in school really helps set routines ;)

You're right on where you are in your journey with Bilbo and Gandalf. You're about 196 miles into the 486 mile trip from the Lonely Mountain to Beorn's home. This will definitely keep you busy ;)

See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 14 2013, 12:59pm

Post #7 of 17 (74 views)
Shortcut
Woohoo!!! :D I'm buying the drinks!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

WOOHOO!!! Congratulations!!! YOU DID IT!!!! GREAT pic of Little D celebrating, and with much pride, too :D

THIS IS GREAT! It's always great to have our party at the Green Dragon grow, and I think it's going to grow even more very soon :)

*applause* Well Done!! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 14 2013, 1:01pm

Post #8 of 17 (68 views)
Shortcut
Returning to 5K runs!? Excellent! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so impressed! I've found from friends who have done the same find it even more gratifying than before... because just participating is such a personal victory no matter what the outcome. This is most excellent!!

Let us know how it goes!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 14 2013, 1:19pm

Post #9 of 17 (63 views)
Shortcut
OMG! Correction for you Arandiel! :o [In reply to] Can't Post

WOW! That's what I get for rushing each week. This and my dyslexia are definitely making this a mess for you! I'm so sorry! I didn't realize I used the wrong total somewhere along the way. :( Here's the corrected (4-times checked!) my personal cumulated miles. The individual weekly miles are correct, just adding things up was... sad...

*bows profusely* I'm sorry for messing up your bookwork... AGAIN!

Miles covered: 7 miles week of 9/12/13
Cumulated miles: 2430

There... that's better.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Angharad73
Rohan

Sep 14 2013, 2:10pm

Post #10 of 17 (78 views)
Shortcut
Good to know... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I haven't gotten lost on the way Tongue

The summer holidays were fun, but at the end I was very ready for them to be over... Now I need a holiday to recover from the holidays.

Iolani
Rivendell

Sep 15 2013, 12:19am

Post #11 of 17 (63 views)
Shortcut
Posting on time! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey, I remembered! Yay for me. Looks like we're doing well! It's so good to see us continuing won with our individual challenges. Here's my mileage for the week! I've been biking, walking, and doing fall cleaning, so I have a decent amount!

miles this week: 22.9
cumulative: 1398.46
goal: Individual There and Back Again! (and another personal challenge, but I don't need to try to keep track of that here too--man, that'd be tedious!) Laugh

Can't wait to see where we are by the end of the year! SlyHeart

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Sep 15 2013, 12:40am

Post #12 of 17 (61 views)
Shortcut
Mid September miles [In reply to] Can't Post

I finally got out for some miles. The weather is starting to cool just a little. But the bugs are worse than in the Midgewater Marshes at night.

Miles since last post: 18.48
Challenge Total: 289.3
Total Miles: 369.4
Left to go: 677.7

I can't decide: do you prefer day or night? I can't help but feel I went too far processing the night photo.

'There is some woe that lies upon you... Why will you not tell me more?'
'For that woe is past,' said Galadriel; 'and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, thought still hope may seem bright.'

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Sep 15 2013, 12:41am

Post #13 of 17 (61 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations Delrond!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Congratulations Delrond!!!

'There is some woe that lies upon you... Why will you not tell me more?'
'For that woe is past,' said Galadriel; 'and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, thought still hope may seem bright.'

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 15 2013, 1:30am

Post #14 of 17 (61 views)
Shortcut
Well done! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I like weeks where there's a mish-mash of different activities. It means you've been have some fun!!! Except for the cleaning part. Makes me *twitch* ;)

Have a great week!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 15 2013, 1:34am

Post #15 of 17 (60 views)
Shortcut
Oooo! Night! Night!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Those are so cool!! But the Night shot makes me happy!! :D

Swat them neeker-breekers! That's the only thing I like about winter and cold, no bugs ;)

Have a great week!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

sherlock
Gondor

Sep 15 2013, 11:14am

Post #16 of 17 (70 views)
Shortcut
With the cooler [In reply to] Can't Post

weather I'm up to a mile & a half to two miles about five times a week. My heels & knees are holding up pretty good. I just love fall! This morning me & my dog were out about 5 am & the stars were incredible!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 15 2013, 5:23pm

Post #17 of 17 (78 views)
Shortcut
Well Done! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so happy that you don't have the pain and can really explore those early mornings. It's stunning when the clouds are gone and the stars just blaze away!

Have a great week, m'dear :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.