Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
AUJ EE - Appendices feature running lengths
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DjU
Lorien

Sep 12 2013, 11:20pm

Post #1 of 39 (1832 views)
Shortcut
AUJ EE - Appendices feature running lengths Can't Post

In the past day BBFC has start to rate the component parts of the AUJ EE. So we are starting to get an idea on the running lengths of the individual features.

I'm gonna have look and cross reference them with the list.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/...ype_of_media_tid=All

DjU
Lorien

Sep 12 2013, 11:55pm

Post #2 of 39 (1316 views)
Shortcut
Full List [In reply to] Can't Post

Note:- they only seem to have got through Appendices 7 but so far they total well over 255 minutes (4hrs 15mins plus) so its easy to see why the DVD version of Appendices 7 needs to be split across 2 discs

The Appendices Part 7: A Long-Expected Journey - A 14-part chronological history of the filming of An Unexpected Journey, covering pre-production in the various departments of the film in the months leading up to the start of principal photography, the boot camp training for the main cast, and the work done on set chronologically through the three shooting blocks and in the world of its digital effects. Chapters include:

Introduction by Peter Jackson = 1m 48s

• The Journey Back to Middle-Earth - 46m 12s
• Riddles in the Dark: Gollum's Cave - 16m 16s
• An Unexpected Party: Bag End - 24m 17s
• Roast Mutton: Trollshaws Forest - 16m 27s
• Bastion of the Greenwood: Rhosgobel - 10m 7s
• A Short Rest: Rivendell and London - 27m 52s
• Over Hill: The Misty Mountains - 13m 4s
• Under Hill: Goblin Town - 18m 19s
• Out of the Frying Pan: The Forest Ledge - 15m 20s
• Return to Hobbiton: The Shire - 17m 40s
• The Epic of Scene 88: Strath Taieri - 8m 5s
• The Battle of Moria: Azanulbizar - 10m 21s
• Edge of the Wilderland: Pick-ups and the Carrock - 21m 38s
• Home Is Behind, the World Is Ahead - 11m 9s

Credits = 3m 34s

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Sep 13 2013, 12:46am

Post #3 of 39 (924 views)
Shortcut
Sounds good. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still disappointed by the format though. I preferred the way the Lord of the Rings ones were set up.

Arandir
Gondor

Sep 13 2013, 6:35am

Post #4 of 39 (784 views)
Shortcut
Many thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems to be quite lengthy ... good, good - Arandir is pleased Laugh

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

Silmaril
Lorien

Sep 13 2013, 6:44am

Post #5 of 39 (774 views)
Shortcut
great! thank you. [In reply to] Can't Post

looking forward to see this! i love that stuff!

Carne
Tol Eressea

Sep 13 2013, 7:02am

Post #6 of 39 (802 views)
Shortcut
Wow, longer than I expected! [In reply to] Can't Post

Heck, even the 10 minute or so vlogs cover quite a lot, so watching these is going to be a joy!

Welsh hero
Gondor

Sep 13 2013, 9:57am

Post #7 of 39 (775 views)
Shortcut
Audio commentary [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/...cted-journey-video-0

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Bexlin
Rivendell

Sep 13 2013, 10:04am

Post #8 of 39 (770 views)
Shortcut
Audio Commentary - Mikael Persbrandt??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Why would he be listed?

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Sep 13 2013, 12:23pm

Post #9 of 39 (679 views)
Shortcut
At a guess... [In reply to] Can't Post

Very old information, from the two-film split days.

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Sep 13 2013, 12:40pm

Post #10 of 39 (678 views)
Shortcut
At Dragoncon panel [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Graham MacTavish said there was 15 hours of behind the scenes material.

morro91
Bree

Sep 14 2013, 5:30am

Post #11 of 39 (495 views)
Shortcut
Australia Rating [In reply to] Can't Post

Extended Edition: http://www.classification.gov.au/...Ti9ST2JdQEqBOGGdSDel

Total running time: 642 minutes (10.7 hours)

The 182 minutes of movie leaves 460 mins (7.6 hrs) for special features. This doesn't include the Audio commentary (it would be part of the 182mins)

In terms of the rating What is most interesting that the individual Course language, Nudity and Sex ratings are higher than the theatrical edition. (See table on the right)

For comparison: Original version: http://www.classification.gov.au/...Ti9ST2JdQEqBOGGdSDel

redgiraffe
Rohan

Sep 14 2013, 6:13am

Post #12 of 39 (474 views)
Shortcut
Wait wait wait [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The 182 minutes of movie leaves 460 mins (7.6 hrs) for special features.

If the actual film is 182 minutes then that should mean 17 minutes of extra movie rather than the previously stated 13 minutes. Is that right?

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Sep 14 2013, 6:55am

Post #13 of 39 (466 views)
Shortcut
Running times include credits [In reply to] Can't Post

If you have a digital or DVD copy of AUJ you can see that the full running time, including credits, is 2:49:37 = 169+ minutes, so adding 13 minutes gives you 182 minutes.

If the actual film is 182 minutes then that should mean 17 minutes of extra movie rather than the previously stated 13 minutes. Is that right?

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

redgiraffe
Rohan

Sep 14 2013, 10:10am

Post #14 of 39 (440 views)
Shortcut
Ahh I see [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If you have a digital or DVD copy of AUJ you can see that the full running time, including credits, is 2:49:37 = 169+ minutes, so adding 13 minutes gives you 182 minutes.

Thanks a lot for destroying all of my hopes and dreams. I shall remember this forever!!Tongue

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Sep 14 2013, 10:28am

Post #15 of 39 (427 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't it better having them destroyed now than when you put the disc in and expect 17 minutes and get 13? Tongue

Vocalist in the progressive metal band 5 Minutes Late
and the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium

(This post was edited by painjoiker on Sep 14 2013, 10:29am)

Fleuz
Lorien

Sep 14 2013, 10:46am

Post #16 of 39 (428 views)
Shortcut
German Rating FSK says different [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.areadvd.de/news/der-hobbit-extended-edition-wird-1531-minuten-langer-auf-blu-ray-disc/

According to them it΄s gonna be 15 minutes and 31 seconds longer than the TC.

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 14 2013, 4:25pm

Post #17 of 39 (398 views)
Shortcut
Watch your tongue Mr. Baggins! [In reply to] Can't Post

Language has gone way up! I'm still hoping the whole nudity thing is nothing much (maybe a dwarf half-moon or something)...but the language is now up with the violence and themes! What is Gollum going to cuss up and down the Misty Mountains that his beepin' precious is lost. Will the Goblin-king sing some modern day rock hits with all curse words included? Seriously, what the heck! Shocked I know a lot of you think I'm over reacting, but this is supposed to be a family movie. Lots of people (who don't want to see and hear any garbage) will buy this without looking at the ratings because all seven previous middle-earth dvd releases were completely clean as far as that stuff goes (theatricals and extended making up the seven).

Ian Mckellen: "If we just had made one movie of The Hobbit, the fact is that all the fans, and I'm thinking of the eight, nine, ten-year-old boys ... Well, they've now got three films they can watch 1,000 times."...ummmmmm.

(This post was edited by burgahobbit on Sep 14 2013, 4:25pm)

morro91
Bree

Sep 14 2013, 4:55pm

Post #18 of 39 (376 views)
Shortcut
Subtitled Dwarvish [In reply to] Can't Post

I think somewhere in an interview there was something (probably said jokingly though) about Dwarvish swearing, so maybe subtitled course language!!

Remember that just one bad word would send the rating up, so its probably not a big deal. I doubt theres suddenly swearing everywhere

Fleuz
Lorien

Sep 14 2013, 5:39pm

Post #19 of 39 (363 views)
Shortcut
Calm down... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Graphic says "Moderate Impact".
So it will not be that hard. Tongue

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Sep 14 2013, 8:47pm

Post #20 of 39 (337 views)
Shortcut
language [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the language might refer to the appendices and extras- where an actor cusses when he messes up, for example...

If it refers to the movie, then I will have a little more concern, but for all we know it could be Khuzdul cuss words....in which case it might honestly be more funny than anything if teenage boys start saying Mahalu-me-turg! In the hallway at school- might confuse people more than anything Wink

All kidding aside, it is probably for the appendices more than the film, because I do not see PJ&co putting modern day swear words in the dialogue of the film (of course, I have a sneaky suspicion that Bilbo was swearing up and down in his head after hearing that, after all his trouble, snot, and hard work the stupid ponies ran off anyway-ungrateful little twerps Tongue) lol Wink

Race is meaningless. We all bleed red-no matter who or what we are. What matters is the heart. For each race has those with good hearts and those with bad hearts. You have a good heart. You do not deserve to die.

(This post was edited by Cirashala on Sep 14 2013, 8:48pm)

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Sep 14 2013, 8:52pm

Post #21 of 39 (337 views)
Shortcut
other rating [In reply to] Can't Post

The rating I am more concerned about is the sex one- what?????? Crazy

They separate sex and nudity as two separate categories, so what the heck are they talking about with sex?????

I dearly hope this is just innuendos spoken during the appendices, because if it is actually in the movie itself, my daughter probably won't be watching it!

Of course, I will fast forward the spider scene at home....because she's afraid of spiders....oh, wait-that's me.... Unsure

Race is meaningless. We all bleed red-no matter who or what we are. What matters is the heart. For each race has those with good hearts and those with bad hearts. You have a good heart. You do not deserve to die.

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 15 2013, 12:45am

Post #22 of 39 (307 views)
Shortcut
Yeah I know [In reply to] Can't Post

But do these ratings usually include bonus material? I know the MPAA ones don't. That being the case, I'm worried that they've made "The Hobbit" into an inappropriate film only for adults, which is horrible because kids have been the primary targets for this film so far and they will watch it without their parents ever suspecting. I sincerely hope that I'm wrong, but things don't look good. Unsure

(This post was edited by burgahobbit on Sep 15 2013, 12:46am)

morro91
Bree

Sep 15 2013, 2:10am

Post #23 of 39 (297 views)
Shortcut
Theatrical edition will still rule the mainstream [In reply to] Can't Post

Most people will watch the Theatrical edition, so the language/nudity etc. probably won't matter that much.

I'm just curious as to what it is. Guess we'll have to wait :(

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 15 2013, 7:57am

Post #24 of 39 (279 views)
Shortcut
Well, the odd thing... [In reply to] Can't Post

...about the sex rating is that even the theatrical version had a 'very mild impact' rating on sex (as opposed to no rating at all in some other categories). Now, I can't think of anything in the theatrical version, anything at all, that could be considered as a reference to sex, or an innuendo even.

Based on that, I don't think you have anything to worry about!

(But I'm with you on the spiders)

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 15 2013, 8:18am

Post #25 of 39 (272 views)
Shortcut
Just quietly, [In reply to] Can't Post

you could argue that more than a few people around here found that certain dwarves had more than a 'very mild impact'. Angelic

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.