Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Local report from the National Weather Service: "Biblical rainfall amounts"
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 12 2013, 8:06pm

Post #1 of 31 (292 views)
Shortcut
Local report from the National Weather Service: "Biblical rainfall amounts" Can't Post

That's not a good phrase to see. link

I'm not in any danger, but there's some nasty stuff going down here.

Here's what it looks like in Estes Park. The road is washed out up the Big Thompson canyon, and the only way in or out of Estes is over Trail Ridge Road. Boulder is pretty well cut off too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2013, 8:22pm

Post #2 of 31 (152 views)
Shortcut
I am surprised the term would be used in an official report. [In reply to] Can't Post

What exactly are they saying by using "Biblical"? The world will be covered in water for 40 days and nights?
;O

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 12 2013, 8:27pm

Post #3 of 31 (134 views)
Shortcut
I was astonished myself // [In reply to] Can't Post

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Kim
Valinor

Sep 12 2013, 8:30pm

Post #4 of 31 (144 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad to hear you're ok. I was just there on Sunday and was in downtown before the weather turned. We also went over Trail Ridge Road on our way out, and ran into some nasty rain in Winter Park. My niece is in Boulder, but luckily her dorm is on high ground, so they're ok.

Stay safe (and dry).

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 12 2013, 8:44pm

Post #5 of 31 (146 views)
Shortcut
Saw a flood rescue on the news [In reply to] Can't Post

and things like waveriders, tires and broken trees washed up onto roads. Looked quite scary, I can't imagine getting caught up in that kind of flash flooding.

Find high ground and stay safe!

Angelic

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Sep 13 2013, 1:53am

Post #6 of 31 (117 views)
Shortcut
Oh no! We don't need that again! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Washed out" meaning the surface pavement, or parts of the actual road? I confess the idea of big chunks of road bumping and rushing down that river sounds scary. All the little fishing spots and maybe some cabins gone I'm guessing. I hope no one has been hurt or lost.Frown

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Sep 13 2013, 2:01am

Post #7 of 31 (139 views)
Shortcut
I think they meant the old phrase "of Biblical proportions" [In reply to] Can't Post

which used to be used all the time, and often in the news because of (I think, probably) a felt need for hyperbole, meaning "something way beyond the norm," like Noah's flood or the plagues of Egypt. Like a lot of older sayings these days, it just got truncated and garbled, (like "on tender hooks" instead of the original "on tenterhooks." Or "bunk" into someone [which sounds awfully personal for an accidentSly] instead of the original "bump into . . .").

Anyway, I hope everyone is safe up there!Unsure

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Sep 13 2013, 5:12am

Post #8 of 31 (105 views)
Shortcut
Part of the actual highway in, so far, [In reply to] Can't Post

two spots in the canyon, and there are people unable to evacuate between them. Most of the little neighborhoods of cabins have at least some that are well above even the 100-year flood level, so hopefully neighbors are helping neighbors stay safe in those areas, because they really have no choice but to shelter in place for now.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 13 2013, 8:06am

Post #9 of 31 (105 views)
Shortcut
The water is actually higher than in '76 [In reply to] Can't Post

but so far no deaths in the canyon, though there have been three statewide in the flooding, which is much more widespread this time. People had more warning this time. And yes, the road is completely washed away in spots, not only in the Thompson but also the Poudre and all around Boulder and Lyons and Longmont. Loveland is cut in half; the north half can't get to the south half without going out to I 25.

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Sep 13 2013, 2:40pm

Post #10 of 31 (92 views)
Shortcut
That's hard to comprehend. I have a friend [In reply to] Can't Post

in Boulder, but they're up in a higher suburb; and her mom is a good friend of my mother's, so I'm sure I would have heard.

How are you and Uncle Baggins and the kids managing? Is you basement staying dry?

I can't imagine how packed I 25 must be. :(

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Sep 13 2013, 2:48pm

Post #11 of 31 (93 views)
Shortcut
I can picture it, unfortunately. I hope [In reply to] Can't Post

people aren't up there just hanging on to boulders. And I hope that folks can afford to rebuild once again after this.
With a canyon like that, I can't imagine much could be done prevention-wise; but I did see something that made it sound that some things had been done to try to let the water get out of there better, or disperse differently or something?

Are you O.K. where you are?

(I always wanted one of those cabins down near the river, and my husband and I had actually discussed it once! I think now I'll just stake a claim on one of those funny trees way up on the side and nearby ledge or something.)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 13 2013, 4:02pm

Post #12 of 31 (94 views)
Shortcut
I lived in Boulder for a while [In reply to] Can't Post

Long days ago, but WOW!

I'm so glad you're not in the line of fire!

Are all of our Colorado sibs okay?

sampleIt's Friday the 13th!

Light the Beacons: TheOneRing.net's Fellowship Fundraiser on eBay!

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 13 2013, 4:06pm

Post #13 of 31 (95 views)
Shortcut
Here's some rather amazing footage [In reply to] Can't Post

starting at the Dam Store and going up a bit. link

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Sep 13 2013, 5:00pm

Post #14 of 31 (90 views)
Shortcut
Hope everything is OK at your place, Auntie [In reply to] Can't Post

The fact that you're posting means you hopefully still are dry, have power, etc. It doesn't sound at all good around there!

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

dubulous
Rohan

Sep 13 2013, 6:33pm

Post #15 of 31 (78 views)
Shortcut
I guess it's time to start building that arc now. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 13 2013, 7:34pm

Post #16 of 31 (84 views)
Shortcut
We're high and dry here. [In reply to] Can't Post

The sun is out, and the streets are dry. But all roads north and south out of town are closed.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 13 2013, 8:44pm

Post #17 of 31 (79 views)
Shortcut
We're fine here. [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a damp spot in the basement carpet, but that's all.

The road from Loveland to Greeley is also high and dry (though past Greeley it's impassable) so my commute has been fine too.

I-25 is closed, so it's not packed at all :-/

Greenwood Hobbit
Gondor

Sep 13 2013, 8:49pm

Post #18 of 31 (82 views)
Shortcut
I've just seen this on UK TV - [In reply to] Can't Post

looks pretty disastrous in places. Good luck to all affected by it.

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Sep 13 2013, 11:25pm

Post #19 of 31 (86 views)
Shortcut
There are no words to express [In reply to] Can't Post

how much this stinks. First the fires, and now this. Stay strong, Colorado, and Boulder in particular this time.

Patty
Immortal

Sep 14 2013, 12:53am

Post #20 of 31 (70 views)
Shortcut
I just saw the extent of this on the Nightly News... [In reply to] Can't Post

I had no idea it was so bad! Hope all you Colorado TORnfolk stay high and dry, and your homes are able to weather this.

Permanent address: Into the West

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 14 2013, 2:18am

Post #21 of 31 (78 views)
Shortcut
Here are aerial views of my town: [In reply to] Can't Post

link

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Sep 14 2013, 3:14am

Post #22 of 31 (72 views)
Shortcut
That water almost looked sentient [In reply to] Can't Post

pounding away under the road there. Very scary. I never could picture how water could take out a road. It's easy to see now. Those 2 cabins I could see made me really sad. Somebody's homes. And I've been through there so many times, it's just unreal to see this now.Frown

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Sep 14 2013, 11:29am

Post #23 of 31 (65 views)
Shortcut
How are you, Aunt Dora? [In reply to] Can't Post

National Parks Traveler webzine posted an article that RMNP has been closed, with the few remaining people being helped to get out, and Estes Park is now cut off and isolated. In some good news, two women reported stranded on Long's Peak have managed to get back and are fine.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 14 2013, 1:52pm

Post #24 of 31 (63 views)
Shortcut
Me? Fine. [In reply to] Can't Post

If it weren't for the news, I'd never know this was going on. The sun is out, my house is high and dry, and so is the route I take to work in the next town. But of course the news makes me sad. It may be a long time before we can get up to the park again. And so many people have been hurt by it. 10,000 were evacuated. Houses and businesses have been ruined, and many people have no flood insurance. I'm feeling a bit of survivor's guilt.

The only bad effect I've suffered is that an annual church retreat I look forward to every year has been canceled (ironically, last year it was displaced when the camp was in the middle of a wildfire and lost a few buildings. Now all roads in are closed. The proprietor ironically posted on facebook "I've seen fire and I've seen rain.")

I am amazed at the speed at which some of the bridges have been opened again. I am always glad to pay my taxes when they support things like road repairs.

The news changes hour by hour. Last night they said the Peak to Peak Highway is open again, at least for people in Estes to get in and out, though how they can get down to Boulder still baffles me. I hadn't heard about the climbers on Longs. I can imagine it was pretty scary up there in heavy rain. It's pretty scary any time.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Sep 14 2013, 11:45pm

Post #25 of 31 (42 views)
Shortcut
I've been thinking about y'all out there. [In reply to] Can't Post

Good to hear you're still okay! I may have to "borrow" a friend's facebook log-in and try to track down old room and dormmates from the area. I just hate seeing that kind of destruction and danger! And yup, that phrase and "visible from space" are two I could do without seeing or hearing applied to flooding again!

We're still seeing the final touches put on repairs to some houses along the Susquehanna river, and we finally gave in and started replacing the multi-flood-rotted floor of our camping trailer up at the old mountain farm camp. Mother Nature sure can be a *****! :/

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.