Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Letter #131 Discussion Update: Change of Schedule to 9/17

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 12 2013, 7:21pm

Post #1 of 22 (260 views)
Shortcut
Letter #131 Discussion Update: Change of Schedule to 9/17 Can't Post

Hello Fellowship of the Room!

The discussion will be moved up a week, to begin on Tuesday, September 17th, and will run over 4 weeks. This to accommodate (in a small way) starting of the UT read through and to provide a timely start to LOTR next year.

See you then! Cool

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 12 2013, 7:40pm

Post #2 of 22 (181 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure you've already mentioned this elsewhere, but.... [In reply to] Can't Post

How are you dividing Letter 131 over the 4 weeks? Are you starting at the beginning and ploughing through? Or are you taking themes for discussion?

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 12 2013, 7:58pm

Post #3 of 22 (180 views)
Shortcut
I'm looking forward to it. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'm really glad that someone along the line made the connection that this is printed in most editions of Silm. Now I'll be able to participate (if RL allows, of course!). Smile

'Twas in the Land of Willows that I heard th'unfathomed breath
Of the Horns of Ylmir calling - and shall hear them till my death.

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 12 2013, 8:34pm

Post #4 of 22 (169 views)
Shortcut
Its still evolving - so what I posted earlier has changed [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
How are you dividing Letter 131 over the 4 weeks? Are you starting at the beginning and ploughing through? Or are you taking themes for discussion?

As discussion points aren't always proportional - it progresses through the Ages but not entirely evenly. I will probably open with his rationales for writing, and some of the First Age (where there is heaps of discussion points about the story itself, especially after just finishing Sil); Second Age is a bit dryer, and he moves into the Third Age quickly, where there is also much to be discussed, particularly about the nature of Sauron. and the Rings. A mix of directly following the body of his words, with thematic points mixed in.

So the posts in each week may be a bit of a mix, excepting for two weeks (one each) which can purely be First Age and Third Age. I have to say I am looking forward to all of your collective insights; I've read this Letter so many times yet still am struck by things, subtle hints and nuances, as I read it for analysis.

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 12 2013, 8:36pm

Post #5 of 22 (167 views)
Shortcut
Yes - Thanks!!! to NoWiz for pointing that out [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And I'm really glad that someone along the line made the connection that this is printed in most editions of Silm. Now I'll be able to participate (if RL allows, of course!). Smile

I'm glad it gives access to the Letter for those who have that copy.

Darned RL, always interfering with our Tolkien...Laugh Do very much hope to see you there as much as you can make it Ardamire!

CuriousG
Valinor

Sep 12 2013, 9:07pm

Post #6 of 22 (164 views)
Shortcut
Well, with the medical backgrounds of so many RR members [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you devote a week to discussing blood types of Orcs. (Are O negatives more aggressive than AB positives?) Maybe a week on dragon skin, and was the scaly stuff a self-defense or a dermatological aberration? Not that I would understand any of it, but majority rules.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 12 2013, 9:16pm

Post #7 of 22 (170 views)
Shortcut
I'll be behind the scene for sure if nothing else! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'll keep an eye on the discussions. Two eyes, as often as I can spare them.

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 12 2013, 11:16pm

Post #8 of 22 (157 views)
Shortcut
(This is a complete side note) [In reply to] Can't Post

But when Bilbo is standing with that pony in AUJ, I sort of start, and think "Oh, Ardamire has just posted something..." Laugh

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 12 2013, 11:25pm

Post #9 of 22 (151 views)
Shortcut
That's awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's amazing how things can trigger your memory! Often while I'm driving down the road, I'll see some trees that remind me exactly of your avatar. It's uncanny lol Wink

Lightfoot
Rivendell

Sep 13 2013, 1:06pm

Post #10 of 22 (136 views)
Shortcut
I'll be waiting [In reply to] Can't Post

Faithful servant yet master's bane,
Lightfoot's foal, swift Snowmane

(This post was edited by Lightfoot on Sep 13 2013, 1:07pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 13 2013, 1:33pm

Post #11 of 22 (124 views)
Shortcut
Great to see you Lightfoot! Glad you will be joining us! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Lightfoot
Rivendell

Sep 14 2013, 12:57pm

Post #12 of 22 (112 views)
Shortcut
I popped in right at the end of the Sil [In reply to] Can't Post

And was a little hesitant to jump in. But now that a new discussion is coming I will do less lurking and more discussion!

Faithful servant yet master's bane,
Lightfoot's foal, swift Snowmane

CuriousG
Valinor

Sep 14 2013, 1:32pm

Post #13 of 22 (123 views)
Shortcut
Why are you posting about the schedule, Breth? [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought Ardamire was doing it. Where is he anyway? Late, late, late.

fealoki
The Shire

Sep 14 2013, 5:11pm

Post #14 of 22 (105 views)
Shortcut
An Iambic Correction [In reply to] Can't Post

The Schedule, in caper sauce and brine,
Is what was ordered for this dragon's maw.
But not enough to fill this dragon's jaw,
So Ardamire's capers, too, be mine.

Fealoki

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 14 2013, 10:55pm

Post #15 of 22 (89 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm...who does that post remind me of...? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Dame Ioreth
Grey Havens

Sep 15 2013, 2:53pm

Post #16 of 22 (80 views)
Shortcut
Which Editions? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the 1977 edition and a (purchased new in 2003) 1981 edition of the Silm. Neither seem to have Letter 131 in them. Any other places I can look? I really don't need another copy of the Silm. and I don't think I want to purchase.... oh never mind. Amazon 1-click, take me away!

“Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

CuriousG
Valinor

Sep 16 2013, 12:00am

Post #17 of 22 (69 views)
Shortcut
You might find the letter by googling for it. [In reply to] Can't Post

My 2 copies of the Sil (same editions as yours) don't have the letter either. I even wonder if it's something they did in the UK and not in the US.

Dame Ioreth
Grey Havens

Sep 16 2013, 2:19am

Post #18 of 22 (61 views)
Shortcut
*hrmph* [In reply to] Can't Post

What are we, second class citizens?

(PS Glad you didn't find it either CuriousG. I was beginning to think I had read it but forgotten completely.)

Terazed
Bree

Sep 16 2013, 9:33pm

Post #19 of 22 (56 views)
Shortcut
You can find the letter online here [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.e-reading-lib.com/bookreader.php/139008/The_Letters_of_J.R.R.Tolkien.pdf

CuriousG
Valinor

Sep 16 2013, 10:24pm

Post #20 of 22 (54 views)
Shortcut
It's like France [In reply to] Can't Post

keeping all the best wine, Russia keeping the best vodka, and Greece keeping the best olive oil rather than export it. The UK keeps the best editions of The Silmarillion, exporting trashy versions to the US to punish us for not being part of the Commonwealth. Declarations of Independence can have woeful consequences.

sador
Half-elven

Sep 17 2013, 2:58am

Post #21 of 22 (41 views)
Shortcut
You know, [In reply to] Can't Post

looking this up in threaded mode gave the impression that France was one of the things you need to google to find. Laugh
As I also tend to post the beginnings of sentences as titles, this serves as a dire warning to make sure others aren't confused the same way by my posts.

And your last sentence reads so much like referring to the Oath of Feanor.

Dame Ioreth
Grey Havens

Sep 17 2013, 8:14am

Post #22 of 22 (55 views)
Shortcut
So you're saying... [In reply to] Can't Post

I need to move to Canada to get the most authentic Tolkien experience this side of the Atlantic? But beer and pipe weed are waaaay more expensive "up nort, eh". Wink

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.