Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Really like that idea

Silwen_Peredhil
Rivendell

Sep 12 2013, 6:47pm

Views: 241
Shortcut
Really like that idea [In reply to] Can't Post

I would imagine that the crystal was set up specifically to address moon runes or perhaps be used to trace things over-maybe when documents got too old to be preserved they were copied that way to preserve the original script and handwriting?

I really love the idea of using it to trace documents as a way of preserving the script. It would be such a nice alternative use for the table. Perhaps the elves have even used it to help them write their own moon runes whether it be for fun or for serious matters.

Rivendell really does come across as being the place to study Middle Earth history. I thought it was nice in AUJ that Gandalf reveals Elrond reads ancient dwarvish - a sign that he has a broader knowledge of things in Middle Earth and takes an interest in things outside his realm (unlike Thranduil) even dwarven language and artifacts.

I think I would agree that the table was set up primarily to read the moon runes. Do you think over the years he may have collected other documents that have moon runes that are perhaps stored away in the Rivendell library somewhere waiting for the right phase of the moon in order to read them? Imagine that. Do you think that is how Gandalf learnt a little about moon runes, by studying them in Rivendell? He must have had to have studied somewhere about the history of Middle Earth. He could have used Rivendell to study some of it, just like when we watch him visit Gondor in FOTR when he is looking specifically for Gondorian accounts of Middle Earth history and he finds Isildur's scroll.

As for telepathic communication, I am honestly not sure if Galadriel's ability is a "natural" one of hers, or if it was taught to her by the Valar, but I am most inclined to think it had to do with the rings, and not the table at all.

I am like yourself more inclined to believe the communication came from the power of the rings which is what I thought was the case when I watched the conversation between Galadriel and Elrond in TTT. However a quote from the book the Lord of the Rings perhaps implies that the elves do have the gift to speak from mind to mind.

Here now for seven days they tarried, for the time was at hand for another parting which they were loth to make. Soon Celeborn and Galadriel and their folk would turn eastward, and so pass by the Redhorn Gate and down the Dimrill Stair to the Silverlode and to their own country. They had journeyed thus far by the west-ways, for they had much to speak of with Elrond and with Gandalf, and here they lingered still in converse with their friends. Often long after the hobbits were wrapped in sleep they would sit together under the stars, recalling the ages that were gone and all their joys and labours in the world, or holding council, concerning the days to come. If any wanderer had chanced to pass, little would he have seen or heard, and it would have seemed to him only that he saw grey figures, carved in stone, memorials of forgotten things now lost in unpeopled lands. For they did not move or speak with mouth, looking from mind to mind; and only their shining eyes stirred and kindled as their thoughts went to and fro.
The Return of the King / Many Partings

Since this passage includes Celeborn, it raises the possibility that the elves do have a natural ability to some extent to do telepathic communication. What do you think?

Whatever other use for the crystal table, I thought it was very beautiful and it made quite a unique feature. In LOTR Galadriel had her mirror, but we were not shown whether something unique like that existed in Rivendell as well. I thought this was a wonderful feature for Rivendell.Wink

What's this? A Ranger caught off his guard?

Subject User Time
The Moon Runes Reading scene? Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Sep 11 2013, 7:22pm
    By watching it... Fleuz Send a private message to Fleuz Sep 11 2013, 7:59pm
        I don't think it's accident per se Seaber Send a private message to Seaber Sep 11 2013, 10:57pm
            Yes "fate" or as Tolkien's prefered to call it, "luck" burgahobbit Send a private message to burgahobbit Sep 12 2013, 10:10pm
                Luck/Fate Yngwulff Send a private message to Yngwulff Sep 13 2013, 3:51am
                    Elrond's Line just before reading the Runes... Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Sep 13 2013, 2:31pm
    table Cirashala Send a private message to Cirashala Sep 11 2013, 8:11pm
        Really like that idea Silwen_Peredhil Send a private message to Silwen_Peredhil Sep 12 2013, 6:47pm
    i liked how PJ made it more dramatic and new age MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Sep 12 2013, 3:14am
        Agreed Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Sep 12 2013, 2:22pm
    crystal table fool_of_a_took Send a private message to fool_of_a_took Sep 12 2013, 8:45pm
    Enjoyed this Scene IdrilofGondolin Send a private message to IdrilofGondolin Sep 14 2013, 8:06pm
        Gandalf arithmancer Send a private message to arithmancer Sep 15 2013, 1:03pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.