Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Spotted in Estes Park, Colorado
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Kim
Valinor

Sep 12 2013, 5:09pm

Post #1 of 35 (286 views)
Shortcut
Spotted in Estes Park, Colorado Can't Post

Didn't see any dwarves though - they were probably in the hot tub Evil

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 12 2013, 5:12pm

Post #2 of 35 (166 views)
Shortcut
(Packing quickly) I'm so there!!!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2013, 5:29pm

Post #3 of 35 (177 views)
Shortcut
don't be hasty [In reply to] Can't Post

... brethil... estes park is also where they filmed "the shining"...

stanley hotel

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 12 2013, 6:06pm

Post #4 of 35 (171 views)
Shortcut
It is indeed M-T! [In reply to] Can't Post

Loved watching Ghost Hunters there!

And I would brave a few possessed topiaries if it meant finding Thorin in a hot tub.

(Of course you knew that already, dear friend!) Laugh

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 12 2013, 6:52pm

Post #5 of 35 (149 views)
Shortcut
Is it the hot tub equivalent of a chocolate fondue? [In reply to] Can't Post

Crazy We wants to know preciousss! On second thoughts, perhaps not.....FrownBlush

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 12 2013, 7:02pm

Post #6 of 35 (148 views)
Shortcut
Hot tub helps to clean up AFTER the chocolate fondue. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just clarifying!!!!! SmileWink

CuriousG
Valinor

Sep 12 2013, 7:07pm

Post #7 of 35 (151 views)
Shortcut
Vacancy [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the reasons for the vacancy are:
  1. Rock giants smashed the guests
  2. Goblins ate the guests not smashed by giants
  3. The Stephen King topiary ate the guests not eaten by goblins

CuriousG
Valinor

Sep 12 2013, 7:09pm

Post #8 of 35 (156 views)
Shortcut
"TORN fans" really stands for [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin-obsessed, really naughty fans

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 12 2013, 7:17pm

Post #9 of 35 (143 views)
Shortcut
That's very good. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we should get that put on a T-shirt. I'd buy it.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2013, 7:28pm

Post #10 of 35 (147 views)
Shortcut
i don't understand... [In reply to] Can't Post

... why would you need a hot tub to clean up, when you've got a genioglossus, a hyoglossus, and a styloglossus?

this is illogical.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

MomoftheShire
Rivendell

Sep 12 2013, 7:31pm

Post #11 of 35 (138 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil - save me space on the next flight!

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 12 2013, 7:38pm

Post #12 of 35 (133 views)
Shortcut
And boring!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Where's your sense of adventure Brethil?AngelicEvil

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 12 2013, 8:21pm

Post #13 of 35 (122 views)
Shortcut
All true Telpemairo, and I accede to your logic... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
... why would you need a hot tub to clean up, when you've got a genioglossus, a hyoglossus, and a styloglossus?

this is illogical.

cheers --

...but fondue and/or Nutella both tend to leave a bit of a sticky, oily residue behind. Wouldn't want that lovely blue tunic of his to be all gummed up. Laugh

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 12 2013, 8:22pm

Post #14 of 35 (111 views)
Shortcut
(*high five*) !!!!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 12 2013, 8:26pm

Post #15 of 35 (115 views)
Shortcut
Do I need to step up my game?! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Where's your sense of adventure Brethil?AngelicEvil

Would hate to be boring!!!! Laugh So you can count on more inappropriateness rather than less....!! Cool

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 12 2013, 8:29pm

Post #16 of 35 (117 views)
Shortcut
Erm... he's keeping his tunic on in the hot tub? [In reply to] Can't Post

CrazyWink

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 12 2013, 8:38pm

Post #17 of 35 (116 views)
Shortcut
Definitely not!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Was thinking of the need to get dressed again...

At *some* point.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2013, 8:54pm

Post #18 of 35 (110 views)
Shortcut
i think [In reply to] Can't Post

...you're missing the point.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 12 2013, 9:25pm

Post #19 of 35 (103 views)
Shortcut
Correction, Bombyhas lived near there..50+ years, [In reply to] Can't Post

Stephen King wrote his Book in Boulder
based on the Stanley Hotel rumors,
but the Jack Nicholson Movie was shot
At a Lodge on Mount Hood Oregon.

Yes, it is somewhat haunted but
The Misty Mountain Lodge is about 8 Miles from there.

Bomby

Kim
Valinor

Sep 12 2013, 9:36pm

Post #20 of 35 (103 views)
Shortcut
Me too! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Queen of Erebor
Lorien

Sep 12 2013, 10:51pm

Post #21 of 35 (95 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Thorin-obsessed, really naughty fans

but I think most of you should know by now that it's not just the character (or at least it isn't with me). I haven't been this giddy since I've been into Barbossa (from POTC), and I'm in my early forties. I guess fandom really has no age limit. You're only as old as you feel.

That's interesting about the Shining (I'm also quite the Stephen King fan), though the only adaptation I've seen (so far) is that one on one of the annual Treehouse of Horror episodes on The Simpsons that they have every Halloween: "No TV and no beer make Homer something something." "Go crazy?" "Don't mind if I do!" It also contained one that had Groundskeeper Willie going after the Simpson children ala Freddy Krueger from A Nightmare on Elm Street.Smile

Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long-forgotten gold.

Glaurung63
Lorien

Sep 13 2013, 11:54pm

Post #22 of 35 (67 views)
Shortcut
Underwater! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was there just weeks ago...very middle earthy. And now floods have destroyed the area...crazy. I wonder if this lodge is ok

Kim
Valinor

Sep 14 2013, 12:04am

Post #23 of 35 (79 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately [In reply to] Can't Post

this lodge is right next to the river, so I'm guessing it may be flooded. I just got home from my trip yesterday and started posting pictures, then the news started coming in about how bad the situation was.

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 14 2013, 12:05am

Post #24 of 35 (55 views)
Shortcut
Wow Kim - glad you got home! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kim
Valinor

Sep 14 2013, 12:26am

Post #25 of 35 (52 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

When we left Estes Park, we decided to go via the Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park and stopped at the visitor's center at 11,796 ft. That is now the only road available out of Estes. I commented at the time that I would not want to drive that in bad weather. My brother and I also got caught up in a rainstorm Tuesday afternoon driving back from Denver before the main storm hit, and we had to pull off the road for a few minutes since it was raining too hard for the wiper blades.

On a completely unrelated note:
Hey, look at that, I'm in Rivendell! Elves!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.