Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
JK Rowling to pen Harry Potter spin-off film
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Welsh hero
Gondor

Sep 12 2013, 4:20pm

Post #1 of 34 (322 views)
Shortcut
JK Rowling to pen Harry Potter spin-off film Can't Post

JK Rowling is to make her screenwriting debut in a new Harry Potter-themed film series, Warner Bros has announced.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/...inment-arts-24067557

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

(This post was edited by Welsh hero on Sep 12 2013, 4:22pm)

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 12 2013, 4:33pm

Post #2 of 34 (210 views)
Shortcut
Predictable [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a matter of time when WB was going to milk Potterverse and in the wake of Marvel domination (and WB inability to launch Justice league) it's really not surrpising. well, I love that universe so fingers crossed it's a great movie series a sopposed to a cash grab.

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Tauriel saved us from Itaril. Never forget.

Misto
Lorien

Sep 12 2013, 4:40pm

Post #3 of 34 (208 views)
Shortcut
My goodness [In reply to] Can't Post

Is she ever going to stop?
I really like Harry Potter, I truly do. But for god's sake let it rest! I suppose it's kind of appealing to keep cashing in on what is successful, but it's not necessarily much of a benefit to the story and its universe. That makes me kind of glad that Tolkien is dead. Crazy

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 12 2013, 4:44pm

Post #4 of 34 (207 views)
Shortcut
Just The First Film [In reply to] Can't Post

To clarify, "The first movie in 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' series will be written by Rowling herself," which says to me that other people will write for any movies thereafter. Quality or fan interest may suffer because if it's not written by her, it may be considered as "fan fiction."

Rowling saying the film is not a prequel or sequel reminds me a lot of the whole Prometheus debacle, but it this case it is completely plausible where the whole thing with Prometheus was semantics and hair-splitting.

I'm hoping Rawling, who has to me seemed less about the money and more about the entertainment, love for the material, and self-made success, intends to set up a portion of the proceeds for charity. Warner Brothers, on the other hand, is all about business with all other considerations secondary. For them, it's simply a reasonably guaranteed windfall to be exploited for shareholders.

Welsh hero
Gondor

Sep 12 2013, 4:50pm

Post #5 of 34 (196 views)
Shortcut
"Is she ever going to stop?" well that's a no [In reply to] Can't Post

She's always said when she finished, that while she's done with the series right now, if she can think of a good story she's look in to that world again.

Seems like she's found that story.

She's also not going to stop writing in general, She enjoys writing.

Plus she's always said that that any future instalments in the potter world will be done for charity, so I guess she'd donate some of her pay to a charity

-Irfon

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 12 2013, 4:51pm

Post #6 of 34 (192 views)
Shortcut
More I think about it more I like it [In reply to] Can't Post

One would expect them to milk fanfiction-favorite Marauders prequel or Harry kids sequel but this is really out of the left field. So I'm with those who believe in Rowling's integrity. She's really challenging herself.

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 12 2013, 4:52pm

Post #7 of 34 (201 views)
Shortcut
Throwing Tolkien Under The Bus [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Is she ever going to stop?
I really like Harry Potter, I truly do. But for god's sake let it rest! I suppose it's kind of appealing to keep cashing in on what is successful, but it's not necessarily much of a benefit to the story and its universe. That makes me kind of glad that Tolkien is dead. Crazy

She did stop. As promised, Happy Potter was seven volumes and nothing more. A cash grab on her behalf would have extended Harry Potter past that and it surely would have sold - even if she just collected royalties and let lesser talent write and produce it.

The sentiment about Tolkien seems a heavy price to pay for no more Potter.

I suspect Rowling will have similar sensibilities as you and will not try to rip off Potter just to make money. I think she'll try to make it its own story without even a ring to link the two. There's nothing wrong with a new story in an existing universe.

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2013, 5:02pm

Post #8 of 34 (195 views)
Shortcut
Feeling grateful about the Tolkien Estate hard line, now? [In reply to] Can't Post

Inevitable, but highly questionable. I don't know, it doesn't sound bad for Star Wars and it shouldn't be bad for Potter, but it can go either way.

Somehow, Mr Christopher Tolkien's stance toward adaptations, makes more sense now.

Visit Mexico from A to Z! Index to the whole series here.
Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 12 2013, 5:12pm

Post #9 of 34 (184 views)
Shortcut
A sidequel then. [In reply to] Can't Post

I do look forward to exploring more of the Wizard World.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Sometime hours and hours hence:
In The Green Dragon two ales could buy
And drank the one less filling I
And that has made all the difference.
- The Ale Less Filling, by Robert Frostymug

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 12 2013, 5:16pm

Post #10 of 34 (189 views)
Shortcut
IMO, Chris Tolkien is robbing cinema of potentially great films [In reply to] Can't Post

Stuff in Sil and Unfinished Tales and HoME is dry but has really good skeleton around which they could flesh out characters who are very broadly written in those stories. Epic scale would be unprescended. And they could hire talented directors who are ripe for a beaking into big budget movies. Something that seems to be the idea behind Star Wars spin-offs and that already is materializing with Marvel properties.

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 12 2013, 5:57pm

Post #11 of 34 (177 views)
Shortcut
How can you rob something you yourself own? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Stuff in Sil and Unfinished Tales and HoME is dry but has really good skeleton around which they could flesh out characters who are very broadly written in those stories.

In other words, SINO. (Sil In Name Only)

Hollywood doesn't have to have the film rights to the Sil, UT, or HoME to make brilliant fantasy films in an unprecedentedly epic scale.

The fact that they seem to have trouble doing so kinda points to CT's wisdom.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 12 2013, 5:58pm

Post #12 of 34 (175 views)
Shortcut
Wise Examples [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Stuff in Sil and Unfinished Tales and HoME is dry but has really good skeleton around which they could flesh out characters who are very broadly written in those stories. Epic scale would be unprescended. And they could hire talented directors who are ripe for a beaking into big budget movies. Something that seems to be the idea behind Star Wars spin-offs and that already is materializing with Marvel properties.

Putting Star Wars and Marvel up as a positive examples of how to exploit your franchise would send Christopher to the grave with a simultaneous stroke and massive heart attack.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 12 2013, 6:01pm

Post #13 of 34 (168 views)
Shortcut
Well, it isn't like Christopher has a positive opinion on LOTR movies either [In reply to] Can't Post

so whatever example I use would give him ulcers. Tongue

Welsh hero
Gondor

Sep 12 2013, 6:34pm

Post #14 of 34 (160 views)
Shortcut
It's set 70 years before Potter (so 1920s or 1930s. depends on what timeline they follow) [In reply to] Can't Post

I say think the Marvel Cinematic Universe more than anything,

think of this film like Captain America, set before Iron man, but not being any kind of quel to Iron Man

-Irfon

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 12 2013, 6:47pm

Post #15 of 34 (152 views)
Shortcut
Or like Soldier (1998) was to Bladerunner (1982). [In reply to] Can't Post

For example listen for a reference to "Tannhauser Gate" and look for a Spinner in the junkyard.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 12 2013, 7:02pm

Post #16 of 34 (152 views)
Shortcut
Yep, this won't ruin Potter [In reply to] Can't Post

in case it goes south because it's the same universe but different characters.

Good job WB, really caught people by surprise with this one. There wasn't even a murmur about this and with all scoopers chasing DC news, it flew under the radar completely.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 12 2013, 7:37pm

Post #17 of 34 (152 views)
Shortcut
Having read the article, [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's a fantastic idea. I'm interested to see how she builds a story about Newt Scamander.

Welsh hero
Gondor

Sep 12 2013, 9:32pm

Post #18 of 34 (132 views)
Shortcut
I also hope he travels a lot in the film [In reply to] Can't Post

In the books, (allthough he's not featured, just mentioned) it says he's a traveling naturalist. We could see a much larger part of the wizarding world. So far we've only seen the UK Wizarding world.

Tongue

-Irfon

RosieLass
Valinor

Sep 12 2013, 10:11pm

Post #19 of 34 (134 views)
Shortcut
Or, alternatively, he's protecting cinema from potentially crappy films. [In reply to] Can't Post

Depending on your point of view.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 12 2013, 10:26pm

Post #20 of 34 (131 views)
Shortcut
Given the odds... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that's the way to bet.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 13 2013, 12:45am

Post #21 of 34 (110 views)
Shortcut
There's always a risk [In reply to] Can't Post

they could be LOTR, they could be The Lovely Bones. But the fear of Lovely Bones shouldn't prevent LOTR form happening, so to speak.

Besides, bad movie adaptations don't ruin books. If anything, book cred rises because people go "books are so much better". So C-Tol has nothing to be afraid of nor he is at loss if he sells movie rights. Books are timeless and if they spawn a timeless movies great. if not, books remain timeless, crap movie will be forgotten and won't sour book experience.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 13 2013, 12:49am

Post #22 of 34 (113 views)
Shortcut
He starts from New York [In reply to] Can't Post

So I guess they could definitely internationalize the appeal by having him travel around the globe. I know that Rowling is big on supporting local (British) talent, hence the clause that all Potter cast members must be British citizens, but that could change with this series. In fact, I hope we meet some creatures inspired by foreign lore and some international landscapes.

Has fan-casting already begin?

Morthoron
Gondor

Sep 13 2013, 1:38am

Post #23 of 34 (111 views)
Shortcut
The title of the first spin-off film will be "Harvey Potter"... [In reply to] Can't Post

In which the adult Harry's best friend is a pooka named Harvey, who is described as a six-foot, three-and-one-half-inch tall invisible rabbit. Much wacky humor ensues when Harry's wife Ginny and his former friends Ron and Hermione try to have him institutionalized.

The estate of playwright Mary Chase will then sue JK Rowling for plagiarism

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Sep 13 2013, 12:34pm

Post #24 of 34 (81 views)
Shortcut
Doubtful... [In reply to] Can't Post

...because invisible 6'3" rabbits may well exist in the Potterverse. Or people may transform into them and wear Harry's cloak. Or some variant thereof!

Elwen
Lorien

Sep 13 2013, 3:27pm

Post #25 of 34 (75 views)
Shortcut
I'm very excited for it. [In reply to] Can't Post

The extra little books that Rowling has put out (Beedle the Bard, Fantastic Beasts, Quidditch Through the Ages) have all be entertaining and rich with detail.

I did like the bit about her not being comfortable with someone else writing the stories. One wonders if the Professor were still with us if he would have been able to collaborate on the LotR and Hobbit films. That would have been incredible!

photo Desolation-of-Smaug2_zpsc1584ee1.jpg
Tauriel: So let me get this straight sir, this Elwen girl is back on something called TORn, and rather than just tell her to stop stalking you, you'd like me to show up in a movie I have no business being in as a ploy to distract her, and nevermind the wrath of countless Tolkien fans who will be calling for my destruction?

Legolas: That about sums it up. Besides, some people might like you. Oh, and to be on the safe side, can we pretend to be a couple too?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.