Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hoping they use Benedict's face to inform Smaug's facial expressions as much as possible

thomasofrohan
Lorien

Sep 11 2013, 3:00am

Post #1 of 18 (936 views)
Shortcut
Hoping they use Benedict's face to inform Smaug's facial expressions as much as possible Can't Post

I viewed Star Trek into Darkness yesterday, and he can certainly stretch his face out! Smaug does have a large face, though, so it's probably not going to be a Serkis-esque mo-cap performance where even the subtlest facial movement is perfectly recorded.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/...k21qg6b5yo2_1280.jpg
http://24.media.tumblr.com/...5JT1stca0ho1_500.gif
http://31.media.tumblr.com/...k21qg6b5yo4_1280.jpg

Oin's parasite
Rivendell

Sep 11 2013, 3:11am

Post #2 of 18 (599 views)
Shortcut
This man... [In reply to] Can't Post

This man is to become an acting legend of our time...just you wait.

"I've got parasites as big as my arm!"

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2013, 3:10pm

Post #3 of 18 (454 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps you should change your SN then? [In reply to] Can't Post

Benedict's Parasite, I'm sure, make a LOT more than Oin. Just a thought...Wink

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 11 2013, 4:33pm

Post #4 of 18 (394 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

there is definitely a certain reptilian quality in these shots anyway. I too hope that they are using BC's facial expressions for Smaug- should be awesome!

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Erewen
The Shire

Sep 11 2013, 6:42pm

Post #5 of 18 (340 views)
Shortcut
I think they will [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember when I first saw the DOS trailer that I saw a vague similarity between BC and Smaug's faces I don't imagine they would have done that for no reason.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Sep 12 2013, 12:41am

Post #6 of 18 (289 views)
Shortcut
I'm hoping they do too [In reply to] Can't Post

Benedict is a great actor, and can do such expressions. I thought he did well as the villain in Star Trek. His performance as Smaug and the Necromancer are what I'm looking forward to most (besides the theme song.)

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Sep 12 2013, 12:43am

Post #7 of 18 (322 views)
Shortcut
I just viewed those screencaps [In reply to] Can't Post

Seeing his expressions in slow-mo, he looks really scary.

Thranderz
Rohan

Sep 12 2013, 2:56pm

Post #8 of 18 (241 views)
Shortcut
BC [In reply to] Can't Post

He really isn't that great of an actor, he does have the perfect voice though if Star Trek is anything to go by.

I simply walked into Mordor.

Old Toby
Gondor

Sep 12 2013, 10:40pm

Post #9 of 18 (208 views)
Shortcut
I wholeheartedly agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I became a fan of his when I watched his Sherlock. Then I saw him in Hawking. Then his brilliant and riveting performance as the Creature in Frankenstein, for which he won the Olivier Award. I think we haven't had an actor this talented in a long time, and am so looking forward to his Smaug. It's funny that Hollywood thinks they've just discovered him, and that he's a new-comer, given how long he's been acting. If he gets to play with Gary Oldman in the film-whose-name-I've-forgotten, it will be spectacular. (Although he did do that with Tinker Tailor..but there's another one on the horizon I believe.) Me...I'm looking forward to season three of Sherlock!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Nira
Lorien

Sep 13 2013, 12:41am

Post #10 of 18 (190 views)
Shortcut
I can see a resemblance [In reply to] Can't Post

In the last scene of the trailer Smaug's face and minor expressions resemble BC's. I can see it, but I don't know if it's intentional or just my imagination. Smile

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Nira
Lorien

Sep 13 2013, 12:43am

Post #11 of 18 (189 views)
Shortcut
I predict the same [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that BC is a rising star. I think his acting is quite good and, for the most part, I enjoy the productions he has been in.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

cats16
Valinor

Sep 13 2013, 12:46am

Post #12 of 18 (185 views)
Shortcut
Really looking forward to see him... [In reply to] Can't Post

in McQueen's 12 Years a Slave (especially knowing a bit about his role now). That has such a great cast, with him being one piece of it. Not sure if he'll have enough of a role for awards, but the film's many *hopeful* great successes will do the same for his larger public image.

Nira
Lorien

Sep 13 2013, 12:58am

Post #13 of 18 (171 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Me too. I hear that is a quality film and expected to do very well.

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Sep 13 2013, 2:14am

Post #14 of 18 (167 views)
Shortcut
thought so too [In reply to] Can't Post

I kept saying it over and over when watching Star Trek he looks like a snake or a lizard it was creepy and that's what made him perfect in that role that and his voice my God that voice that's what nightmares are made of.

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Sep 13 2013, 3:47am

Post #15 of 18 (171 views)
Shortcut
Amazing Grace [In reply to] Can't Post

He also was a costar in Amazing Grace (excellent movie telling the story about the political drama centered around the abolition of slavery in Britain).

Since you enjoy his work, I thought you would be interested. In fact, that was the first exposure I had to Cumberbatch, and I thought he had been fantastic in that role. Smile

I am excited to hear Smaug for sure! I think that the confrontation between Bilbo and Smaug stands a good chance at being an Iconic scene if PJ&co play their cards right with it.

Race is meaningless. We all bleed red-no matter who or what we are. What matters is the heart. For each race has those with good hearts and those with bad hearts. You have a good heart. You do not deserve to die.

Old Toby
Gondor

Sep 13 2013, 7:55am

Post #16 of 18 (144 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I saw Amazing Grace as well [In reply to] Can't Post

although at the time I wasn't familiar with BC. So, not only is he starring in The Fifth Estate as Julian Assange, which opened the Toronto Film Festival, but has smaller roles in Twelve Years a Slave and August: Osage County, both of which have been regarded as excellent films at the festival. Can't wait to see all of them! It seems like he's the Man of the Hour, the Flavor of the Month, etc. at the present time. (And if he ends up doing Hamlet on stage with Gary Oldman...my personal Dream Team... I am going to do my very best to get there!)

And I agree, the confrontation between Bilbo and Smaug should be epic.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Old Toby
Gondor

Sep 13 2013, 8:08am

Post #17 of 18 (143 views)
Shortcut
Oh yeah, and he was in War Horse! [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you see that one? I loved it! He played the officer leading the charge against the Germans.

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 13 2013, 8:22am

Post #18 of 18 (172 views)
Shortcut
Starter for 10 [In reply to] Can't Post

is one of my favourite BC roles.
He is in a couple of movies I really like - Creation, and Atonement.
I like Amazing Grace, too, although plenty of holes can be picked in it.

I haven't gotten aorund to seeing Parade's End yet, but I have it on my list.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.