Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
I doubt that there would have been

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 12 2013, 5:09am

Views: 60
Shortcut
I doubt that there would have been [In reply to] Can't Post

much in the way of a cohesive Enemy force, were that the case. A pet theory I've held for a long time (there's evidence to support it, but not enough for me to call it fact) is that the Balrogs gained their fearsome natures by putting their power into the bodies they crafted for themselves, in the way that Morgoth put his power into Arda itself or Sauron put his power into the One Ring. This is why when a Balrog is killed, they stay dead, unlike other Maiar (e.g. Gandalf/Sauron) who could gain new bodies after losing their existing ones.

If Gothmog were left in the place of Sauron, it's likely that the Balrog in Moria would have not hidden there for an Age, but served his Lord, and, like Escapist said, Gothmog may have been able to gather Smaug and the other dragons under his command, but they would have been no match for the forces of Gil-Galad, the remaining Silvan Elves, the Dwarves and the Numenoreans. Part of what made Sauron so successful was his ability to put on a fair-seeming face, something he was able to do until the Akallabeth. It was this fairness that lulled the Elves into complacency, allowing the Rings to be stolen, and let Sauron whisper lies among Elves, Men, and Dwarves in the manner that Melkor sowed lies and discord in Aman. Gothmog doesn't strike me as being the sort capable of such deeds-- especially given that he would be unable to shed his fearsome body for a fair-seeming one. And even if Gothmog has lasted through the 2nd Age, and was defeated in a manner similar to Sauron, there never would have been another rising of the Enemy at the end of the Third Age, as no Balrog has ever gained another body.

The Rings themselves would never have been forged. Celebrimbor, as clever as he was, needed the guidance and tutelage of Sauron, a one-time Maia of Aule, and knowledgeable of such things. Gothmog, as a Maia of Fire in the same class as Arien (who pilots the Sun), would not have had the knowledge to confer. Without the rings, the Witch-King and the Ringwraiths would never have come to be, which would have removed the need for Rivendell. Likely the Elven realms of Hollin and Lindon would have remained for millennia, and Moria would not have fallen into darkness as the Balrog there would not have stayed hidden until the Dwarves disturbed it. Which means also that Erebor would never have come to be, as Durin's folk would have had no need to find a new home.

The famed Seven Hoards of the Dwarves, each taken by a dragon, leading to the downfall of several dwarven realms, would never have grown to the level of wealth they attained, without the Seven Rings, and the dragons would likely not have come to lay claim to those hoards. The Istari would never have come to Middle-Earth, as they were sent in the Third Age in the event of Sauron's return-- something there would have been no need for if Gothmog had been defeated to end the Second Age.

Much that was beautiful and lost would still have remained, and the world would not have been broken by Illuvatar as the Numenoreans, even in their pride, would likely not have broken the ban of the Valar had Sauron not been there to poison the mind of Ar-Pharazon.

I could go on, but that's enough rambling. I like the tale as it is, myself. =)

Inferno.

======================
Good night, tOR.Nados. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely delete you in the morning.
======================

Subject User Time
what if sauron was defeated in the first age? boldog Send a private message to boldog Sep 11 2013, 9:55am
    It depends on which you think is worse Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Sep 11 2013, 10:26am
    I doubt that there would have been Inferno Send a private message to Inferno Sep 12 2013, 5:09am
    Tolkien described ElendilTheShort Send a private message to ElendilTheShort Sep 12 2013, 9:29am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.