Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
How would you like to travel across Middle-earth?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: How would you like to travel across Middle-earth?
Horse or pony. - "Give him a pony."
Bunny sled. - "THESE are Rhosgobel rabbits!"
Warg. - "Send out your warg-riders!"
Great eagle. - "The eagles! The eagles are coming!"
Fell beast. - "Wraiths! Wraiths on wings!"
Irish Elk. 'Nuff said.
In a wagon or cart, thank you very much.
I'll just steal a ship from the corsairs of Umbar...
On foot. - "No, that won't be necessary. I'm sure I can keep up."
Oliphaunts. - "No one would believe us."
View Results (141 votes)

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Sep 12 2013, 1:12am

Post #1 of 73 (3191 views)
Shortcut
How would you like to travel across Middle-earth? Can't Post

Personally, I would prefer a horse (of course) or my own two feet. I can trust those. Not so sure I can trust a warg or a fell beast not to decide I'm better off as a snack than as a passenger.

However, that being said... I would totally take the bunny sled on a joyride if given the opportunity... *looks around furtively* ...Shh! Don't tell Radagast I said that!

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Sep 12 2013, 2:09am)

Meneldor
Valinor

Sep 12 2013, 1:32am

Post #2 of 73 (2218 views)
Shortcut
Two ways to get there: left, right, left, right... [In reply to] Can't Post

Old soldiers joke. But, yeah, walking gives you plenty of time to see the sights and stop and smell the elanors.

OTOH, I miss flying, and the view from an eagle would be awe inspiring.

Of course, there is nothing quite so fun as messing about in boats.

I guess I need to cross Middle Earth at least three times.

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 12 2013, 1:41am

Post #3 of 73 (2214 views)
Shortcut
Once you used the "Give h(er) a pony" line, W-S, I'm done. [In reply to] Can't Post

If that voice and face said "Give her a rusty slinky," I'd be on board with that too. CrazyLaugh

So equine for me.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Sep 12 2013, 1:51am

Post #4 of 73 (2237 views)
Shortcut
Or smell the niphredil... and alfirin... and everything else... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, the view from an eagle would be most impressive, and I'm not afraid of heights. I just think it would be awfully cold and windy up there. That, and I fear with my luck I'd get the Cockney eagle that would tump me out on the ground and start a spiel about not being Middle-earth United Airlines. (Someone else other than me has seen Veggietales' parody, Lord of the Beans, right? Right? Guys?)

Aw, why not. I'll just have to go everywhere in Middle-earth and use all forms of transportation! Maybe there shall be a competition to see how many times we cross Middle-earth? Laugh

We'll see how I fare in boats. I don't have much experience with boats... Crazy

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Sep 12 2013, 1:53am

Post #5 of 73 (2208 views)
Shortcut
I rather thought mentioning that line would get some responses! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh Laugh Tongue I have no regrets. I would also be okay with the rusty slinky, too... so who am I to point any fingers???

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 12 2013, 2:48am

Post #6 of 73 (2202 views)
Shortcut
If I had to pick one... [In reply to] Can't Post

it would be walking. Of course, I must have a top-notch walking stick! Wink

Though the horse ride sounds tempting... Some parts of ME I would rather breeze by, while still getting a nice look (Looking at you, Barrow Downs Mad)

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Sep 12 2013, 3:02am

Post #7 of 73 (2185 views)
Shortcut
Um, yeah, on second thoughts I agree with you! [In reply to] Can't Post

List of places to avoid in Middle-earth:

(1) Mirkwood. Too many spiders. Or, as a compromise, we avoid the *depths* of the forest and stick to the Elven part of it.

(2) Barrow-downs, definitely. *shivers*

(3) The Paths of the Dead. I'll leave that to Aragorn and the Grey Company, thank you very much.

(4) Mount Doom. I have no desire to be hit by a lava bomb falling from the sky.

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 12 2013, 3:18am

Post #8 of 73 (2215 views)
Shortcut
Good list! Might I add... [In reply to] Can't Post

• Cirith Ungol. Can't see any purpose of going there, spider or no spider.
  • Nan Dungortheb. See reason above. Tongue
  • Tol-in-Gauroth. I mean, werewolves aren't my thing.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Sep 12 2013, 3:24am

Post #9 of 73 (2171 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely. [In reply to] Can't Post

We should probably add Angband, Utumno, Barad-dur, Minas Morgul, and Dol Guldur to the list. (Whew! Never realized exactly how many evil fortresses there are in Middle-earth). Because I'm fairly sure Morgoth and Sauron have had millennia to perfect the art of dealing with unexpected guests. I pity the door-to-door salesmen that try selling them things...

Crazy Do orcs do door-to-door selling? Or have they all switched to telemarketing now? It's food for thought... Tongue

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Sep 12 2013, 3:37am

Post #10 of 73 (2188 views)
Shortcut
Eagles [In reply to] Can't Post

If Great Eagles are an option then that's the best option for sure. You can cover vast distances, get an incredible view, and bypass difficult or dangerous landscapes like the Misty Mountains or Mirkwood. It would take some convincing to get the Eagles to agree to cart you around though.

demnation
Rohan

Sep 12 2013, 4:04am

Post #11 of 73 (2167 views)
Shortcut
Horse [In reply to] Can't Post

I love horses, though I don't think I've been on one since I was about 8. Rohan for me!

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 12 2013, 4:08am

Post #12 of 73 (2182 views)
Shortcut
Maybe we should bring Fingolfin. [In reply to] Can't Post

He didn't seem to have trouble knocking on the door. Tongue

Pretty sure I mispronounce Angband every time I say it aloud. It either comes out as "Ang-bad" or "An-banged". Crazy Working on it...

"Hi, my name is Gothmog--no, no, not the cool one from the First Age, sorry--I'd like to speak with you about a possible invasion of Gondor. It's Denethor, right?"

Cool

Nunilo
Bree

Sep 12 2013, 4:28am

Post #13 of 73 (2917 views)
Shortcut
I'd like to try a bit of everything [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd probably choose a horse as my main mode of transport, but I would love a flight on one of the eagles! And like you, if Radagast gave me the chance I would definitely borrow his bunny sled for a quick circuit of the forest. I'd be a bit worried about hitting my head on branches though. I'm not as flexible as him and probably wouldn't duck in time...

Do barrels count as a mode of transport? They would make for a very thrilling ride, but only if they were open-topped!

(This post was edited by Nunilo on Sep 12 2013, 4:29am)

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 12 2013, 8:03am

Post #14 of 73 (2194 views)
Shortcut
"Give her a pogo stick"? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or " Give her a space hopper"? Just to go from the sublime to the ridiculous!SlyTongue

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 12 2013, 12:49pm

Post #15 of 73 (2156 views)
Shortcut
Do you suppose they serve snacks on long flights? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 12 2013, 1:17pm

Post #16 of 73 (2141 views)
Shortcut
I'm fine with starting out with a horse [In reply to] Can't Post

Knowing how things tend to progress in Middle-earth, I'll be walking soon enough anyway.

Lightfoot
Rivendell

Sep 12 2013, 1:23pm

Post #17 of 73 (2138 views)
Shortcut
Horseback! [In reply to] Can't Post

Providing I get a nice smooth moving horse ( a bouncy trot can kill you over distances) of course!. Eagles would be fun, but the journey would fly by and I would only get aerial views. Now walking does have its merits and it would take the longest. Winkmeaning more time in ME Wink It also includes lots of discomfort, ( lugging around cooking equipment, extra clothes, ect.)

(This post was edited by Lightfoot on Sep 12 2013, 1:23pm)

Lightfoot
Rivendell

Sep 12 2013, 1:27pm

Post #18 of 73 (2147 views)
Shortcut
The Lord of the Beans was adorable [In reply to] Can't Post

And I could totally see the eagle stopping and lecturing you about the proper use of eagles and then demanding to see your ticket Wink

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 12 2013, 1:31pm

Post #19 of 73 (2146 views)
Shortcut
The alliteration works well... [In reply to] Can't Post

but wow: a Pogo stick would be really exhausting! Laugh I wonder how far could you do in a day? A mile maybe?

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 12 2013, 3:42pm

Post #20 of 73 (2168 views)
Shortcut
In a van. [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn and Legolas went now with Éomer in the van.
-Helm’s Deep, Chapter 7, Book III, The Two Towers

Otherwise in a nice comfy gypsy-style horse-drawn wagon with all the comforts of home.

(Maybe a horse and bedroll when I was younger, but I love my creature comforts too much nowadays.)

Misto
Lorien

Sep 12 2013, 4:11pm

Post #21 of 73 (2822 views)
Shortcut
From a practical point of view [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got to say horse. Slow enough to see the sights if you want to, fast enough if you want to get a move on, able to get you pretty much anywhere and if you fancy walking you can still dismount and lead it around Middle Earth.
That being said, I'd fancy a ride on that elk!

(This post was edited by Misto on Sep 12 2013, 4:12pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 12 2013, 4:27pm

Post #22 of 73 (2140 views)
Shortcut
(*helpless laughter interlude*) [In reply to] Can't Post

If you carry enough old gifts around you could paint it up as the Mathom Machine.

Thank you Darkstone, for that!!!! Cool

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 12 2013, 4:51pm

Post #23 of 73 (2142 views)
Shortcut
"The Mathom Machine" [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, I like that!

Darkstone's Recycling:

Antiques--->Junk---->Mathoms!

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Sep 12 2013, 9:00pm

Post #24 of 73 (2109 views)
Shortcut
WIN [In reply to] Can't Post

In all the times I've read LOTR I have never thought of this. Laugh Laugh Laugh

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Sep 12 2013, 9:04pm

Post #25 of 73 (2109 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

That is hilarious. I wonder how Denethor would have reacted had an orc (or whatever Gothmog is supposed to be in the book) shown up at his door like that!! Laugh Tongue

Hmm... would he have taken a page out of Bilbo's book?

"Sorry, not today, thank you. I suggest you try over Mount Mindolluin or across the Anduin. Good morning."

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.