Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
table

Cirashala
Gondor

Sep 11 2013, 8:11pm

Views: 532
Shortcut
table [In reply to] Can't Post

Given that Rivendell was the last "homely house east of the sea" I take that to mean that it is reminiscent of the scholarly houses in Valinor where the elves are taught by the Valar (Though obviously there aren't any Valar in Middle-earth itself).

Given the scholarly nature of Rivendell (I like to think of it as Middle-earth's university lol Wink) I would imagine that the crystal was set up specifically to address moon runes or perhaps be used to trace things over-maybe when documents got too old to be preserved they were copied that way to preserve the original script and handwriting?

I can honestly think of a million uses for a "tracing" table, and given the artistic as well as scholarly nature of the elves and Rivendell, my guess is that it functions as both.

As for telepathic communication, I am honestly not sure if Galadriel's ability is a "natural" one of hers, or if it was taught to her by the Valar, but I am most inclined to think it had to do with the rings, and not the table at all.

I do remember that she was able to "speak" to the members of the fellowship, but she was within her own realm, and the power of her ring still held sway over her realm (hence the "time preservation and purity" aspect of Lothlorien.) Perhaps her ring was also able to make her "speak" within other's minds within her realm freely, but as for the rest of Middle-earth, I cannot see her being able to "speak" to anyone so far away, unless the other was a ringbearer (which Elrond was).

Remember, the elves perceived (from great distance) Sauron's unveiling of "Annatar" and the creation of the One Ring because of the 3, so I can imagine Elrond would be able to perceive Galadriel should the both of them wish it.

I don't think Sauron intended for his complete intentions to be perceived, however since his spell addressed ALL the rings of power created, I would think that it would be him "consenting" in some way for his ring to "connect" with the others, if not for perception then for dominion of them (and possibly to find the bearers).

So, I think crystal table is just a tool for scholarly and artistic work (since you can't very well hold a paper over flame to see through it without it burning Tongue)

Race is meaningless. We all bleed red-no matter who or what we are. What matters is the heart. For each race has those with good hearts and those with bad hearts. You have a good heart. You do not deserve to die.

Subject User Time
The Moon Runes Reading scene? Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Sep 11 2013, 7:22pm
    By watching it... Fleuz Send a private message to Fleuz Sep 11 2013, 7:59pm
        I don't think it's accident per se Seaber Send a private message to Seaber Sep 11 2013, 10:57pm
            Yes "fate" or as Tolkien's prefered to call it, "luck" burgahobbit Send a private message to burgahobbit Sep 12 2013, 10:10pm
                Luck/Fate Yngwulff Send a private message to Yngwulff Sep 13 2013, 3:51am
                    Elrond's Line just before reading the Runes... Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Sep 13 2013, 2:31pm
    table Cirashala Send a private message to Cirashala Sep 11 2013, 8:11pm
        Really like that idea Silwen_Peredhil Send a private message to Silwen_Peredhil Sep 12 2013, 6:47pm
    i liked how PJ made it more dramatic and new age MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Sep 12 2013, 3:14am
        Agreed Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Sep 12 2013, 2:22pm
    crystal table fool_of_a_took Send a private message to fool_of_a_took Sep 12 2013, 8:45pm
    Enjoyed this Scene IdrilofGondolin Send a private message to IdrilofGondolin Sep 14 2013, 8:06pm
        Gandalf arithmancer Send a private message to arithmancer Sep 15 2013, 1:03pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.