Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What books should be discussed next in The Reading Room?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: What books should be discussed next in The Reading Room?
The Lord of the Rings
Unfinished Tales
The Fall of Arthur
The Letters of JRR Tolkien
The History of Middle-earth series
Farmer Giles of Ham
Leaf by Niggle
Smith of Wooton Major
Roverandom
Other (please describe)
View Results (68 votes)

cats16
Valinor

Sep 11 2013, 7:16pm

Post #51 of 83 (220 views)
Shortcut
Ooo a massage parlor [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds nice! Ah, how nice the immortals have it these days. I should send a load over some time.

Mandos seems tense. Perhaps some R&R at the massage parlor would help?

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2013, 7:18pm

Post #52 of 83 (222 views)
Shortcut
There is no GAP in Rohan. [In reply to] Can't Post

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 11 2013, 7:22pm

Post #53 of 83 (207 views)
Shortcut
Oooh goodie- another one! [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually think that Saruman had kept his robes and hair white by using Ent draughts- some interesting chemicals in those- phosphates for sure- maybe that's why he was glowing whiteCrazy That was the real cause of dispute between him and the Ents

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 11 2013, 7:24pm

Post #54 of 83 (214 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

they have that somewhat expensive chain of stores selling outdoor gear, called Rohan, instead. Problem is, few of the locals can afford to shop there- hence the ubiquitous brown homespunWink

CuriousG
Valinor

Sep 11 2013, 7:58pm

Post #55 of 83 (204 views)
Shortcut
Sweatshop [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, "Rohan Outback Gear" is one of those companies that exploits cheap local labor to produce clothes for export that the locals can't afford to buy. And the real reason for all those horses? Gourmet dog food, I tells ya.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 11 2013, 8:36pm

Post #56 of 83 (199 views)
Shortcut
That's very true [In reply to] Can't Post

We could intersperse those little stories between the six books of LOTR so that it's not just one insanely long marathon.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 11 2013, 8:42pm

Post #57 of 83 (195 views)
Shortcut
Jumping into UT [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't necessarily need a break after Silm. I just didn't want to demand that we move straight into UT simply because that's what I'm eager to discuss. I do agree, though, that it's a natural sequel to Silm, especially the First Age section.

So here's an idea I'm thinking of (and mentioned briefly in response to Elizabeth). What if we dive right into UT after Brethil's discussion of Letter #131. We could discuss The Children of Hurin instead of the narn as printed in UT, but otherwise go all the way through UT. Following that, we could discuss Arthur. Whenever that is complete, we could jump right into LOTR, but between each of the six books, we could break for one of the smaller works.

UT is sitting pretty with the most votes, so I think it makes sense to go ahead and do it next.

How does this order sound to everyone?

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2013, 9:08pm

Post #58 of 83 (190 views)
Shortcut
I think that UT is the next Major work [In reply to] Can't Post

by general consensus, and though I really want to get to non-ME works, I can wait until the interspersion of LotR. It will also give people time to catch up on their LotR read through, between the books. Perhaps we could do a few Letters between the books of LotR, if we need to slow down the pacing a bit?

All around, I think it a fantastic idea!!!

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 11 2013, 9:21pm

Post #59 of 83 (186 views)
Shortcut
Whole idea here. Love it. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I don't necessarily need a break after Silm. I just didn't want to demand that we move straight into UT simply because that's what I'm eager to discuss. I do agree, though, that it's a natural sequel to Silm, especially the First Age section.

So here's an idea I'm thinking of (and mentioned briefly in response to Elizabeth). What if we dive right into UT after Brethil's discussion of Letter #131. We could discuss The Children of Hurin instead of the narn as printed in UT, but otherwise go all the way through UT. Following that, we could discuss Arthur. Whenever that is complete, we could jump right into LOTR, but between each of the six books, we could break for one of the smaller works.

UT is sitting pretty with the most votes, so I think it makes sense to go ahead and do it next.

How does this order sound to everyone?

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 11 2013, 9:22pm

Post #60 of 83 (192 views)
Shortcut
Supply and demand: bought out by Tony Lama // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 11 2013, 9:38pm

Post #61 of 83 (213 views)
Shortcut
Should I start #131 the week of the 17th instead? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can if we need to make some space....I could start it next Tuesday and go over 4 weeks. That would put us at Oct 24th week for UT launch.

Which if we do so, first post should be Oct 24th at ten o'clock in the morning: just on principle.

CuriousG
Valinor

Sep 12 2013, 1:09am

Post #62 of 83 (193 views)
Shortcut
Agreed with Ardamire, Rembrethil, and Brethil [In reply to] Can't Post

But you know me, I agree to have Orcs invade my kitchen when they're hungry.

Anyway, if we can all agree, how about Arda's scheme:
  1. Brethil starts Letter #131 next week or the week after (no rushing ya, honey!) and goes 4 weeks.(Breth's offer)
  2. We go into UT, but either skip Narn (which sounds like Narnia, dang) and do COH after UT, or do COH in place of Narn's spot in UT. (I could go either way, but would prefer COH after UT. But either is fine.)
  3. Break for Sympos whatever book we're in.
  4. Arthur (SirDennis mentioned starting a new job recently; maybe he'll have time to join Arthur when we get to it?)
  5. Do LOTR with smaller books and letters in between (letters being Remb's addition to Arda's idea)
I really like the sound of that. Did I gather all the current ideas in one spot? LOTR is so much fun, but it's good to break it up somehow. It's rather profane to say so, and I see the Lightning of Mandos aimed my way, but at some point, a LOTR read-through can seem more like work than fun, and it should definitely be fun and not work. *Zapped for saying LOTR isn't always fun.*

And while I'm getting zapped, just why is LOTR pulling the same # of votes as Farmer Giles??!?! Wake up, voters, this is THEONERING.NET, not FarmerGiles.net. Or am I in the wrong place??!!? Smile

Short of starting another poll, it sounds like we've reached consensus here. Can some of the people most likely to lead/host chapters please chime in with your preferences? I hope this will work for everyone.

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 12 2013, 1:35am

Post #63 of 83 (183 views)
Shortcut
I like it. And would those Orcs be in your Online Kitchen? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm easy on doing CoH either way. For continuity of UT maybe after? But its not a deal breaker in either place.

Alright (cracks knuckles) I'm up for next week (17th) to start #131; I will post another reminder for the new date.

Just noticing...that's a cute little shock collar you have there BTW. Can I, uh, get the frequency for it? (*loads fresh batteries into remote*)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 12 2013, 8:10pm

Post #64 of 83 (170 views)
Shortcut
I always log into FarmerGiles.net [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure what website you're on, but I'm here to discuss the new trilogy based on Farmer Giles, of course!

I'm really liking this schedule. It allows for a bit of everything. Personally, I would rather not do a full CoH discussion in the middle of UT. So I think we need to either do that first or after UT is completely done. Others may disagree, though.

The next thing to do, of course, is to figure out how exactly we'll discuss the longer sections of the book, with Tuor being the first. I think that any/all leaders of this should probably just hash out the divisions themselves, but we'll need leaders for that first!

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 12 2013, 8:42pm

Post #65 of 83 (166 views)
Shortcut
We seem to be inclining towards the same idea for CoH [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm not sure what website you're on, but I'm here to discuss the new trilogy based on Farmer Giles, of course!

I'm really liking this schedule. It allows for a bit of everything. Personally, I would rather not do a full CoH discussion in the middle of UT. So I think we need to either do that first or after UT is completely done. Others may disagree, though.

The next thing to do, of course, is to figure out how exactly we'll discuss the longer sections of the book, with Tuor being the first. I think that any/all leaders of this should probably just hash out the divisions themselves, but we'll need leaders for that first!

To take it on after UT. I think that would work splendidly. CoolAngelic

CuriousG
Valinor

Sep 12 2013, 8:58pm

Post #66 of 83 (151 views)
Shortcut
COH post-UT [In reply to] Can't Post

That works. I agree that the schedule gives a little bit of everything, an embarrassment of riches.

Now we'll need a leader to do the scheduling and recruit chapter leaders. Any volunteers? (Are the volunteers all lurking on FarmerGiles.net and need a tug back here? But I gotta admit, I enjoy that site more than this one and only come to TORN for the dirty dwarf jokes.)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 12 2013, 9:13pm

Post #67 of 83 (151 views)
Shortcut
Absence of Thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

I just love the other site for its complete lack of Thorin! It's really rather nice Tongue

I can possibly work on a tentative schedule this weekend. And I'll plan on CoH being after UT.

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 12 2013, 9:27pm

Post #68 of 83 (162 views)
Shortcut
You crack me up Arda!!!!! ;-p [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
**I just love the other site for its complete lack of Thorin! It's really rather nice** Tongue And on other matters...

I can possibly work on a tentative schedule this weekend. And I'll plan on CoH being after UT. Sounds great !!!! Cool

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 12 2013, 9:37pm

Post #69 of 83 (149 views)
Shortcut
Just doing my civic duty! (On both accounts.) // [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Valinor

Sep 12 2013, 9:51pm

Post #70 of 83 (161 views)
Shortcut
Rumor has it [In reply to] Can't Post

that Richard Armitage will be cast as Farmer Giles of Ham in the new trilogy movie based on the "book." He's also being cast as the dog in "Roverandom." There's no escaping him, nowhere.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 12 2013, 11:06pm

Post #71 of 83 (142 views)
Shortcut
Next thing you know [In reply to] Can't Post

he'll be digitally replacing every actor from LOTR. It'll be in the Super Extended Ultimate Deluxe Edition.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Sep 13 2013, 1:01am

Post #72 of 83 (133 views)
Shortcut
i don't see... [In reply to] Can't Post

"50 shades of grey havens"
"how green was my dragon"
"the thorinbirds"

or
"inscrutable lampost : the definitive biography of kristen stewart"

... anywhere.

just saying.

cheers --

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Sep 13 2013, 1:07am

Post #73 of 83 (135 views)
Shortcut
i just saw this [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
[curiousg]
Yeah, "Rohan Outback Gear" is one of those companies that exploits cheap local labor to produce clothes for export that the locals can't afford to buy. And the real reason for all those horses? Gourmet dog food, I tells ya.
[/curiousg]

fie on you. consider yourself smited. do not confuse this with being smitten. it is a very different thing. as. you. will. learn.

cheers --

(This post was edited by Maciliel on Sep 13 2013, 1:07am)

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 13 2013, 1:09am

Post #74 of 83 (125 views)
Shortcut
We left off "Manwe Shrugged" as well. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 13 2013, 2:50am

Post #75 of 83 (303 views)
Shortcut
Some people are so forgetful....JK [In reply to] Can't Post

If you give a Halfling a Ring (if you give a mouse a cookie)

To sink a continent (to kill a mockingbird)

How to crush wills and dominate people
(How to win friends and influence people)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.