Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
I've started "The Book Thief"

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 11 2013, 7:16pm

Views: 105
Shortcut
I've started "The Book Thief" [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm about a hundred pages in. My sister raved about this book, and I started it once before and the beginning was too grim for me, but now I'm finding it compelling. It's the story of a young girl growing up in Nazi Germany, and is apparently based on the author's grandmother's memoirs. It's narrated by Death, who is as wry and urbane as Pratchett's Death.

So far the book it reminds me of the most is "Slaughterhouse Five", partly for the subject material and partly for the voice. No space aliens, though.

It's categorized as a young adult book. I would have hated this book as a teenager, but I'm finding it a page-turner now.

I'm glad to hear, Lily, that your crazy summer is coming to an end and things are settling down. As my mom used to say, "Life do get tedious sometimes."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Subject User Time
It's the thank-goodness-it's-September reading thread! Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Sep 10 2013, 2:46pm
    We are getting probably our last blast of heat now (mid 90s..97 F now) Eruonen Send a private message to Eruonen Sep 10 2013, 7:53pm
        I read about six of those. Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor Sep 10 2013, 8:36pm
        Chicago's temperatures have been all over the place, haven't they? Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Sep 10 2013, 8:49pm
            Actually, Brandon Sanderson took over and has done a terrific Eruonen Send a private message to Eruonen Sep 10 2013, 8:53pm
                Good for him! Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Sep 10 2013, 9:03pm
    I've started the Percy Jackson series. RosieLass Send a private message to RosieLass Sep 10 2013, 8:55pm
        I was watching the HP marathon this weekend and Eruonen Send a private message to Eruonen Sep 10 2013, 8:57pm
            I thought that callbacks to LOTR were better done than AUJ's Semper Fi Send a private message to Semper Fi Sep 11 2013, 12:24am
        Oh, and I *adore* Precious Ramotswe. RosieLass Send a private message to RosieLass Sep 10 2013, 9:01pm
        I know for a fact... Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Sep 10 2013, 9:10pm
        I was reading somewhere.... Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Sep 10 2013, 9:10pm
        "The gateway to the Underworld is in Los Angeles." RosieLass Send a private message to RosieLass Sep 11 2013, 9:53pm
        Ooh, I love those books! Werde Spinner Send a private message to Werde Spinner Sep 12 2013, 9:26pm
            I've heard about the Percy Jackson movie adaptations. RosieLass Send a private message to RosieLass Sep 12 2013, 10:30pm
    I have just finished Erewen Send a private message to Erewen Sep 11 2013, 6:52pm
        I enjoyed The Historian, several years ago Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Sep 11 2013, 8:18pm
    Orlando Innamorato Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor Sep 11 2013, 7:11pm
        I'm not familiar with this. Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Sep 11 2013, 8:23pm
            The copyrights expired centuries ago Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor Sep 11 2013, 9:38pm
                "Campaign notes from a medieval DnD game" Great description! // Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Sep 12 2013, 2:13pm
    I've started "The Book Thief" Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Sep 11 2013, 7:16pm
        I've heard about this Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Sep 11 2013, 8:25pm
    A Child's Christmas in Wales Na Vedui Send a private message to Na Vedui Sep 11 2013, 10:29pm
        I read that every December. Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Sep 11 2013, 10:41pm
        Oh yes Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Sep 12 2013, 2:14pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.