Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
New Reading Discussion anytime soon?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 7:06pm

Post #26 of 129 (277 views)
Shortcut
I see you have the Poll up and going CG - excellent! [In reply to] Can't Post

Awesome!

So anyone with ideas, head over to the Pollantir.

Though I notice NO special mention of discussing Thorin is listed. I suppose that counts as 'Other', so vote accordingly everyone.

Thanks Nuradar, for getting the discussion about this started! Smile

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

CuriousG
Valinor

Sep 10 2013, 7:13pm

Post #27 of 129 (277 views)
Shortcut
*sighs wearily* [In reply to] Can't Post

No discussion would be complete without numerous insertions about the glories of Thorin. I just accept that he'll pop up no matter what we discuss, even the Velveteen Rabbit. *sighs again*

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 7:18pm

Post #28 of 129 (279 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for your understanding. [In reply to] Can't Post

Choocolate might come up too. Now and then.

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 8:20pm

Post #29 of 129 (263 views)
Shortcut
Hope you are feeling better soon Elaen... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but if you have to be illing, I'm glad you have ME to distract you. Even to the point of turning into the Zit Police.

Of course the REAL jewel in your investigative crown would be finding one on Orlando.

(Do feel better!)

AngelicAngelicAngelic

(This post was edited by Brethil on Sep 10 2013, 8:20pm)

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 10 2013, 8:31pm

Post #30 of 129 (268 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Brethil [In reply to] Can't Post

I've just finished disc 1 of TTT- nothing on Legolas, alas
The Balrog has some serious problems as do the orcs. And Sam's intermittent shaving rash looks sore!
Actually, it is amazing what you can pick up on repeat viewings- I have never taken in all the extras standing around Meduseld as Gandalf heals Theoden. I've always seen the Fellowship, Grima and his henchmen, but never the others. Also noticed female elven guards at Lothlorien in FOTR, which I had not seen before- so Tauriel not a wholly new departure.
Books and films alike, there is always more to see and discover!

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2013, 9:02pm

Post #31 of 129 (252 views)
Shortcut
Time to start soon then :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I would love to do a read through of LOTR

Fellowship of the Ring has 22 chapters. So a chapter a week starting New Year 2014 would mean we reached the end in early June. A symposium after that would bring up the July publication anniversary rather neatly.twenty-one chapters in TTT: so we could finish it round Bout the anniversary in November (but only by starting soon after finishing Fellowship (that is, we'd probably have to be started on TTT before the precise Fellowship anniversary came round)
Rotk has 19 chapters, so no trouble finishing by its anniversary date: indeed there'd be time for a break betwee TTT and starting ROTK. We might, of course want to have discussions about the appendices, and so to allow time for those.

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

CuriousG
Valinor

Sep 10 2013, 9:59pm

Post #32 of 129 (248 views)
Shortcut
The terrifyingly sharp spike in insanity in 1954-5 [In reply to] Can't Post

was due to people like me, had I been alive then, who would have gone insane waiting for the next volume of the trilogy to come out. I mean, c'mon, that would be worse than being torn apart by wild dogs, or close enough. It was a braver generation back then, able to endure torments that in modern times make the bravest heart shrink and wither. Even with the movies, we know the basic of what will happen next year. What if we were left wondering if Smaug would eat Bilbo this winter, or if the Dwarves ate Bombur out of starvation?!?!?!

Long live instant gratification!

PS. The above is NOT an invitation for anyone to imagine, dragons included, smothering a certain dwarf in chocolate and consuming him. Honestly, who thinks up thoughts like that?

PPS. Feel better soon, Elaen!

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 10:07pm

Post #33 of 129 (238 views)
Shortcut
"Consuming" is one of those words open to interpretation. // [In reply to] Can't Post

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 10 2013, 10:47pm

Post #34 of 129 (249 views)
Shortcut
From Letter #170.... [In reply to] Can't Post

dated 30th Sept 1955 to Allen & Unwin-
"When is Vol.III likely now to appear? I shall be murdered if something does not happen soon"

Says it all really- fans were as mad then as now, it seems. At this point it was nearly a year since the publication of TTT

PS- thanks for the get well wishes.
PPS- you opened things right up with your instant gratification statement!!!

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 11 2013, 2:51am

Post #35 of 129 (220 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of Instant Gratification... [In reply to] Can't Post

...look what I got from CG! He's a bit Balin-ish but its a start!!!!!

Bombadil21
Bree

Sep 11 2013, 4:50am

Post #36 of 129 (223 views)
Shortcut
COH? [In reply to] Can't Post

What about the Children of Hurin? So far as I'm aware there's only been one 2007-08 discussion of that novel - it probably deserves a little more attention methinks!

sador
Half-elven

Sep 11 2013, 8:09am

Post #37 of 129 (221 views)
Shortcut
2007 [In reply to] Can't Post

I joined TORn on November of that year, and barely missed the discussion! Frown

However, we haven't discussed UT since, either - despite having two discussions of it on the old boards.
I would suggest combining the two books - discussing Unfinished Tales, but rather than the Narn, having a longer read-through of The Children of Hurin.

CuriousG
Valinor

Sep 11 2013, 12:05pm

Post #38 of 129 (211 views)
Shortcut
Excellent idea [In reply to] Can't Post

I should have put COH on the Pollantir but figured it overlapped too much with UT. But as you say, we could focus on COH rather than the Narn, and do the rest of UT also.

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 11 2013, 6:32pm

Post #39 of 129 (198 views)
Shortcut
Great ideas Bombadil and Sador [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I should have put COH on the Pollantir but figured it overlapped too much with UT. But as you say, we could focus on COH rather than the Narn, and do the rest of UT also.

I tried not to make too references to CoH in the Turin chapter read through so as not to go too far afield; would be great to cover it in place of Narn and do it justice. If we slot it in place of the Narn chapter, can we do it in three or four weeks do you think? That might push LOTR until April start but its within the bulk of the Anniversary year.

And we finally get to discuss Sador! Wink

(This post was edited by Brethil on Sep 11 2013, 6:33pm)

Bombadil21
Bree

Sep 13 2013, 12:09am

Post #40 of 129 (178 views)
Shortcut
CoH [In reply to] Can't Post

Sador is a fascinating character!

I think discussion "The Children of Hurin" would allow that story to have some breathing space of its own - it really demands to be valued and appreciated in its own light and for its own sake, I think, and not just through the prism of the "legendarium".

I'd definitely be up for leading a chapter or two on that, my favorite of Tolkien's novels!

(This post was edited by Bombadil21 on Sep 13 2013, 12:10am)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 13 2013, 12:24am

Post #41 of 129 (179 views)
Shortcut
If you haven't seen... [In reply to] Can't Post

We've come to a decision on our next book discussion over here. The Children of Hurin will be discussed after our UT discussion.

'Twas in the Land of Willows that I heard th'unfathomed breath
Of the Horns of Ylmir calling - and shall hear them till my death.

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 13 2013, 12:27am

Post #42 of 129 (169 views)
Shortcut
Well agreed Bombadil!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ardamire will be working on a tentative schedule for UT, and we will do CoH after it (probably skipping the Narn to save it for CoH, and do it full justice). Look for the schedule soon; I'd love to see you do a chapter.

Exciting! I think we have a lot of great discussions in our future.

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 13 2013, 12:30am

Post #43 of 129 (171 views)
Shortcut
You beat me to it...! [In reply to] Can't Post

...of course I can always go elsewhere and announce how ARDAMIRE IS WRITING THE SCHEDULE and put all sorts of pressure on you....CoolLaughLaughLaughLaugh

Might go over to FarmerGiles.com and spam around, and tell them they are losers for having no Thorin at all.

(I do hope there ISN'T a real site of that name....Crazy)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 13 2013, 1:39am

Post #44 of 129 (164 views)
Shortcut
Preach it, sister!! [In reply to] Can't Post

You better let everyone know I'M WRITING THE SCHEDULE!!! Tongue I'll try not to feel too much pressure. Wink

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 13 2013, 2:13am

Post #45 of 129 (170 views)
Shortcut
I checked..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Now what exactly do you have against homesteading!?MadWinkTongue Hmmmm????

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 13 2013, 3:26am

Post #46 of 129 (156 views)
Shortcut
Oooops!!!! (*heheee*) [In reply to] Can't Post

I shall refrain from casting the scarlet L of loserdom around their worthy site.

(Though I bet there's no Thorin pics on it. Their loss.)

CuriousG
Valinor

Sep 13 2013, 11:54am

Post #47 of 129 (143 views)
Shortcut
Wasn't the schedule due 3 days ago? [In reply to] Can't Post

C'mon, what's with the slowdown? BRETHIL SAID ARDAMIRE WAS WRITING THE SCHEDULE. We're counting on you. Don't let us down.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 13 2013, 4:04pm

Post #48 of 129 (133 views)
Shortcut
Slow down you say? [In reply to] Can't Post

Why surely, I can slow down if that's needed. I'll be sure that the SCHEDULE THAT I AM WRITING is not done for quite some time.

CuriousG
Valinor

Sep 13 2013, 4:17pm

Post #49 of 129 (131 views)
Shortcut
ROFL! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Sep 13 2013, 4:45pm

Post #50 of 129 (132 views)
Shortcut
i would like [In reply to] Can't Post

to call for a reading room discussion of the schedule that ardamire is writing.

calling for volunteers to discuss the first four sentences of the schedule. i recommend waiting a bit until assigning sentence leaders for the remaining part of the announcement, because we don't want to plan so far into the future.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.