Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What books should be discussed next in The Reading Room?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: What books should be discussed next in The Reading Room?
The Lord of the Rings
Unfinished Tales
The Fall of Arthur
The Letters of JRR Tolkien
The History of Middle-earth series
Farmer Giles of Ham
Leaf by Niggle
Smith of Wooton Major
Roverandom
Other (please describe)
View Results (68 votes)

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 11 2013, 2:47am

Post #26 of 83 (260 views)
Shortcut
CONGRATS! on the new land Cats!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Enjoy the scenery! Cool

cats16
Valinor

Sep 11 2013, 2:56am

Post #27 of 83 (263 views)
Shortcut
Thanks!! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's quite nice, I must say. Plenty of available real estate. I wonder what a lot goes for on that town on the hill, over there...?

Tongue

CuriousG
Valinor

Sep 11 2013, 11:35am

Post #28 of 83 (246 views)
Shortcut
Well, no one reminded me before getting to Rohan [In reply to] Can't Post

about what horses leave behind them. You have to watch your step EVERYWHERE in that horse land. But the view of green plains and white mountains is worth it, so glad to see you got there.

Lightfoot
Rivendell

Sep 11 2013, 1:16pm

Post #29 of 83 (246 views)
Shortcut
Farmer Giles! [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoy reading Tolkien's non-ME works too. It is hard to find any discussion on them ( everybody is obsessed with the elves and hobbits and don't want to leave ME to discuss anything else). Plus reading non -ME works gives you a greater appreciation of Tolkien as an author/ poet as a whole.That said I think it would be fun to explore The Smith, Roverandom, Farmer Giles, and the like. Save LOTR for the anniversary year!

Lightfoot
Rivendell

Sep 11 2013, 1:17pm

Post #30 of 83 (228 views)
Shortcut
Be sure to say hello to Shadowfax and feed him an apple for me! [In reply to] Can't Post

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2013, 1:20pm

Post #31 of 83 (235 views)
Shortcut
oh, and [In reply to] Can't Post

.... they're not fertilizing the land in tol eressea and valinor?

cheers --

CuriousG
Valinor

Sep 11 2013, 1:23pm

Post #32 of 83 (226 views)
Shortcut
One doesn't talk about such things in heaven. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yavanna reminds us it's organic fertilizer, and Manwe's winds blows the odor towards Harad, which explains why the Haradrim are so cantankerous.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2013, 1:32pm

Post #33 of 83 (224 views)
Shortcut
plus, [In reply to] Can't Post

seeing how it's valinor... it could be considered holy. hence the expression that has traveled down to us through the ages.

cheers --

cats16
Valinor

Sep 11 2013, 3:25pm

Post #34 of 83 (216 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Pretty sure I'm guano need some new shoes, as I look down at my feet...

cats16
Valinor

Sep 11 2013, 3:27pm

Post #35 of 83 (219 views)
Shortcut
Done. [In reply to] Can't Post

He's quite a slippery fellow. But this old guy came up and started whistling...and there he was. Quite convenient, I must say.

PS- He loved the apple.

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 11 2013, 5:15pm

Post #36 of 83 (200 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to Rohan, Cats [In reply to] Can't Post

The views from Edoras are very nice and the horses are beautiful. However, avoid any odd muttering men in black with no eyebrows. And do NOT shop in any of the Edoras boutiques- their dress sense is dire. Unless you go to Edoras' very own Rodeo Drive (ha ha) to get some over priced Eowyn frocks!

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 11 2013, 5:22pm

Post #37 of 83 (202 views)
Shortcut
I think this sounds like a reasonable plan [In reply to] Can't Post

As I said in the thread in the RR, we could break up LOTR a little into the three separate books, or do it as one. But I do feel that it's more appropriate in the anniversary year. UT and some of the short works would be great in the meantime. There's a bit of everything in UT, so even if, say, somebody hasn't read the Sil, or CoH, they can still join in the discussions on "The Quest for Erebor", the chapters about the pallantiri, the Istari etcSmile

cats16
Valinor

Sep 11 2013, 5:29pm

Post #38 of 83 (210 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

*takes notes* Hmm..I wonder what the currency exchange rate is here? Is the inflation bad?

I thought about heading over to Isengard to visit some friends, but some know-it-all I met said to go northeast; now I'm quite lost. Some people...

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 11 2013, 5:36pm

Post #39 of 83 (205 views)
Shortcut
Never trust an elf! [In reply to] Can't Post

Or at least when it comes to taking directions from themWink

cats16
Valinor

Sep 11 2013, 5:49pm

Post #40 of 83 (184 views)
Shortcut
They're the worst! // [In reply to] Can't Post

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 11 2013, 5:58pm

Post #41 of 83 (190 views)
Shortcut
Apologies Cats [In reply to] Can't Post

I've just realised that you're male and therefore unlikely to want an Eowyn frock (or perhaps you are? I'm not pre-empting or judging!Angelic) Instead, may I recommend King Theoden's Tunic Emporium! Just the thing to wear to cocktail parties at IsengardWink

cats16
Valinor

Sep 11 2013, 6:06pm

Post #42 of 83 (189 views)
Shortcut
Haha no worries! [In reply to] Can't Post

You're not the first, lol.

I'll run over to the Tunic Emporium to check it out. Ooo a cocktail party sounds nice! I'd like to see some Old Toby there, although I hear the host it a bit of a stiff when it comes to things like that. Tongue

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 11 2013, 6:11pm

Post #43 of 83 (195 views)
Shortcut
Don't you believe it... [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you see all the red wine he was swilling whilst trying to get Gandalf on side?Shocked Not to mention the barrels of pipe weed in his store- true we don't see him smoke it but....

cats16
Valinor

Sep 11 2013, 6:16pm

Post #44 of 83 (179 views)
Shortcut
Forgot about the wine! Interesting... // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 11 2013, 6:17pm

Post #45 of 83 (182 views)
Shortcut
I think it was a potent batch of Old Toby [In reply to] Can't Post

and some good wine that spawned the little known tale called 'Gandalf and Eomer's Excellent Adventure'.

They know how its done in Rohan. Cool

CuriousG
Valinor

Sep 11 2013, 6:18pm

Post #46 of 83 (185 views)
Shortcut
Well, he was into gunpowder [In reply to] Can't Post

He may have been into all sorts of experimental things to smoke (trying them out on Orcs first, of course). "Journal: Gunpowder in pipe. Boom. Orc scraps. Try powdered Ent bark next."

And I'm suspicious about how he kept his clothes and hair so stark white. That's a bleach addiction crying for help, if you ask me.

CuriousG
Valinor

Sep 11 2013, 6:22pm

Post #47 of 83 (180 views)
Shortcut
I have long suspected that [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf "cured" Theoden out of that dreadful state by slipping him a bottle of Prozac. Presto! Happy king once more. The real reason Gandalf wandered homeless all the time was because he was a traveling salesmen for a pharmaceutical company, and he always had free samples on hand. Too bad he didn't have a good antihistamine for Sauron's burning eye. Maybe he wouldn't have been such a bad guy without allergy agony.

cats16
Valinor

Sep 11 2013, 6:26pm

Post #48 of 83 (180 views)
Shortcut
"Boom." hahaha [In reply to] Can't Post

He's quite blunt, that Saruman.

You would think he spilled the wine at least once on the clothes. Do they not have laundry service in Valinor? (psssst, Brethil can you answer this??)

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 11 2013, 6:49pm

Post #49 of 83 (179 views)
Shortcut
There is one underground Dry Cleaners [In reply to] Can't Post

but having grubby clothes that need cleaning rather marks you as a Mortal, and with Mandos materializing in the most awkward places one never wants to give away that little secret.

The Cleaners is quite secret; it fronts as an illegal massage parlor, which the Valar are surprisingly tolerant of.

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 11 2013, 6:51pm

Post #50 of 83 (168 views)
Shortcut
A gallon of Visine might have gone a long way [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Gandalf "cured" Theoden out of that dreadful state by slipping him a bottle of Prozac. Presto! Happy king once more. The real reason Gandalf wandered homeless all the time was because he was a traveling salesmen for a pharmaceutical company, and he always had free samples on hand. Too bad he didn't have a good antihistamine for Sauron's burning eye. Maybe he wouldn't have been such a bad guy without allergy agony.

towards saving Middle-earth?

With proper citations that sounds like a Symposium piece CG.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.