Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Gandalf and Thrain meeting at Bree

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Sep 10 2013, 8:37pm

Post #1 of 6 (726 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf and Thrain meeting at Bree Can't Post

Well I dont know if this has been discussed but aparently Bree could appear as the DoS prologue. But due that PJ doesnt have therights to show nothing about Te Quest for Erebor,what do you think if he changes the timeline a Little bit and shows Thrain meeting Gandalf, and giving him the key there. I think its sounds stupid but they could show any stupid reason for Thrain not wanting to wear the key with him until the end of the journey, perhaps Gandalf was meant to be with him alll the journey for safe keeping,and things went wrong and Thrain gets lost in the forest and eventually captured.

It appears in on of the tie-in books I think that it mentions that Thrain was set to Erebor a year before Thorin tried, or it was a year before Moria stuff? I dont remember, but it seems that we are gonna know a lot more about Thrain in DoS, just feelings...

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Sep 10 2013, 9:03pm

Post #2 of 6 (395 views)
Shortcut
Jackson is allowed to show Gandalf meeting with Thorin in Bree... [In reply to] Can't Post

This meeting is mentioned in "Durin's Folk" in the LotR appendices, so there's no reason for Jackson to have to dance around that. There's even a small exchange of dialogue between Gandalf and Thorin that Jackson could use.

I'm perplexed as to how they are going to handle Thrain here. Firstly, Balin seemed to state that Thrain went missing directly after the Battle of Azanulbizar, so I see it as unlikely that Gandalf will meet Thrain in Bree. Second, Gandalf seemingly has not yet explored Dol Guldur. It's possible he did, and found it abandoned, but then where did he get the map and key from Thrain? Did Gandalf meet Thrain BEFORE the Battle of Azanulbizar, or did he find Thrain in Moria, and not mention it to Thorin? Very very confusing stuff, I hope Jackson has thought this out properly.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Sep 10 2013, 9:20pm

Post #3 of 6 (321 views)
Shortcut
perhaps before the battle? [In reply to] Can't Post

that would make sense but would be odd. And Gandalf entering Moria¿ it is suposed that Azog returned there after being injured so I guess Moria was plenty of orcs? too bad they didnt show the Balrog and why Moria was deserted after the victory

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2013, 9:22pm

Post #4 of 6 (289 views)
Shortcut
How did you type an inverted question mark? [In reply to] Can't Post

I know it's totally OT, but my OCD is killing me. How did you do that!?

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Sep 10 2013, 9:40pm

Post #5 of 6 (272 views)
Shortcut
Turn on NUM lock... [In reply to] Can't Post

...hold ALT key, type 168 on the right-hand side keyboard.

¿?

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Sep 10 2013, 9:41pm)

Old Pilgrim
Rivendell

Sep 11 2013, 5:25am

Post #6 of 6 (224 views)
Shortcut
Unlikely [In reply to] Can't Post

Their meeting at Bree is unlikely, especially after Philippa Boyens confirmed that Gandalf get the map and keys in Dol Guldur. My theory is that Gandalf travels there after the battle of Azanulbizar and finds nothing but a deserted fortress without any live (a proof is his statement in AUJ; "But the Old Fortress is abandoned"). However after investigating a place a little bit he found Thrain captured and dying and right before he die he give him both things. I believe that Gandalf also encountered orcs there with Bolg or Azog as their leader (proof for that it Azog's strange facial expresion once he noticed Gandalf on the tree near the end of AUJ) and after he defeat them he leave Dol Guldur.

Bree can still appear as a place where Gandalf meets Thorin, where they discuss about this adventure and where Gandalf promise Thorin that he will find him a 14 member of the company. After all this scene would be quite important because we would learn more about whole thing and I can imagine it would be a nice prologue.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.