Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Blue Crystal Atop Raddy's Staff?

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 6:48pm

Post #1 of 20 (742 views)
Shortcut
The Blue Crystal Atop Raddy's Staff? Can't Post

When he Brings Sebastian
BACK to Life?
A Black Inky fluid flows into IT?

So, what Powers does
this Crystal have?

What is the Black Inky stuff anyway?

Does it remain inside this Crystal?

Bomby doesn't think this
has been discussed anywhere.

Any Theories?

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 10 2013, 6:54pm

Post #2 of 20 (490 views)
Shortcut
I think the black stuff [In reply to] Can't Post

Is the darkness of evil being drawn out of the creature. It's almost as if he's "pulling" the darkness out of Sebastian and into his stone. This is the way I like to think of it anyway; when I first saw the scene I thought Radagast was using the dark cloudy stuff to help Sebastian too, and I didn't like that at all. Instead he is getting rid of the darkness and saving his friend furry little at the same time. Smile

I also think that the black stuff disolves after it has been there long enough, for it can't be seen in later scenes.

"I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I’m afraid, and he gives me courage.” - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir, if ever you should need my help, I will come." - Lady Galadriel.

(This post was edited by burgahobbit on Sep 10 2013, 7:04pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 7:43pm

Post #3 of 20 (397 views)
Shortcut
BH...Cool thinking?...soo.. [In reply to] Can't Post

What do you guys think
about the Other Potions
and thingies he tries
before The Crystal?
Like blowing smoke at him, etc?
I remember he TRYS
at least 3 Cures, but they don't work...

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Sep 10 2013, 7:45pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 7:50pm

Post #4 of 20 (360 views)
Shortcut
The evolution of cures [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the way it is shown - Radagast tried earthly, Arda-based physical cures but they fail - it seems the power of spirit is what fixes Sebastian and draws out the blackness.

Radagast looks very sweet when he is puzzled too. Laugh

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 8:17pm

Post #5 of 20 (349 views)
Shortcut
He is speaking some Kind of Incantation! [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that Elvish?
Anyone figure out What the Translation is?

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 8:47pm

Post #6 of 20 (346 views)
Shortcut
Possible translation of Radagast's Spell [In reply to] Can't Post

Radagast-Aiwendill and Lio came up with some translations in this thread:

Radagast's Spell

Radagast-Aiwendil said he found this in a fanfic with the translation as follows:

"Lerya laman naiquentallo. Sí a hlare ómaquettar. Na coilerya en-vinyanta. Sí a hlare ómaquettar. Na coilerya en-vinyanta."
(Translation: Free the animal from the curse. Now hear words of my voice. Be its life renewed. Now hear words of my voice. Be its life renewed.)

and this from Lio,
Sí a hlare ómaquettar ‘Now hear words of my voice’ (Quenya)
Lerya laman naiquentallo ‘Free [the] animal from curse’ (Quenya)
Na coilerya en-vinyanta ‘Be its life renewed’ (Quenya)

I am not a Quenya speaker, but I did reference the words at one of the online Elvish tanslation sites, and they seem to fit the meanings (no claim to correct syntax!)

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2013, 8:55pm

Post #7 of 20 (337 views)
Shortcut
They said something similar on TORn Tuesday with Sylvester McCoy [In reply to] Can't Post

A view posted something that QB, read on air. It was similar to this, if not the exact same.

SEBASTIAN LIVES!!!!

He made me want a hedgehog as a pet.

(This post was edited by Rembrethil on Sep 10 2013, 8:56pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 9:29pm

Post #8 of 20 (290 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the info Rembrethil [In reply to] Can't Post

And agreed - Sebastian is awesome!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 9:58pm

Post #9 of 20 (297 views)
Shortcut
Way Wowww ...Gandalf's Crystal had many Powers.. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was Beacon in Moria,
Also in GoblinTown,
A force field when confonted by the Balrog,
Blowing on it
Lit the Pine Cones!

What else do you think
Raddy's Crystal can DO?

What we may see?

Does it help him Transform
into the Famous MOTH?

"so many Questions,... questions & Answers
we will GET to see!"
Bomby

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Sep 10 2013, 10:02pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 10:17pm

Post #10 of 20 (273 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf the Kindler [In reply to] Can't Post

...especially with Narya on board.

Radagast as ... the Whisperer? Talking with birds, beasts (and bugs), and possibly transforming into their shapes? As you say Bomby, maybe the Moth...

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2013, 10:58pm

Post #11 of 20 (261 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

But what is really awesome was this: The day after I watched the movie, I got a new student in my SS class. So I make my regular introduction, and the mother says," Hello, this is my son, Sebastian." I really geeked out inside, but I managed to contain myself, and reply," Hi, has anyone told you that you have a cool name?"

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 10 2013, 11:04pm

Post #12 of 20 (258 views)
Shortcut
Love hedgehogs! [In reply to] Can't Post

They're so cute. However, I wouldn't recommend them as pets- they are actually a bit smelly and infested with fleas! My Mum and I have rescued quite a few injured ones between us- they smell a bit overpowering to have indoors!

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2013, 11:10pm

Post #13 of 20 (256 views)
Shortcut
Domesticated ones or wild hedgehogs? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the heads-up, and yeah, any pets must wait anyway, until I have my own space.

I hate all the allergies in my family!

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 11:27pm

Post #14 of 20 (250 views)
Shortcut
That's great Rem!!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But what is really awesome was this: The day after I watched the movie, I got a new student in my SS class. So I make my regular introduction, and the mother says," Hello, this is my son, Sebastian." I really geeked out inside, but I managed to contain myself, and reply," Hi, has anyone told you that you have a cool name?"

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 11:30pm

Post #15 of 20 (256 views)
Shortcut
Good for you on rescuing! [In reply to] Can't Post

Reminds me of possums a bit - inoffensive for the most part but rather smelly! We had one get into our shed and get a bit confused as to how to get out; he ended up spending a few days in there, and the cleanup was....unpleasant. But I did eventually get him to relocate!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 11:42pm

Post #16 of 20 (263 views)
Shortcut
Bomby loves the Fact that Raddy.. [In reply to] Can't Post

cares for the smallest
"Mostly Harmless"...things..

While Gandalf is always
Dealing with the
BIG TIME Issues...

In away, they are Polar
Opposites?

He is my Hero
in these Movies.

Bomby

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Sep 11 2013, 1:03am

Post #17 of 20 (243 views)
Shortcut
Good question [In reply to] Can't Post

The black mist or whatever it was that was drawn from Sebastian, was the evil spell cast over him, and the blue crystal was drawing it out. Perhaps the crystal keeps the black mist intact, so that it does not harm again.

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 11 2013, 2:37am

Post #18 of 20 (221 views)
Shortcut
That's sweet Bomby!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
cares for the smallest
"Mostly Harmless"...things..

While Gandalf is always
Dealing with the
BIG TIME Issues...

In away, they are Polar
Opposites?

He is my Hero
in these Movies.

Bomby

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 11 2013, 3:07am

Post #19 of 20 (212 views)
Shortcut
"Thang you" ...Brethil, it seems.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bomby & Brethil are
Simpatico!

You remind me of
my long-LOST
Goldberry...

xoxoBomby

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 11 2013, 3:10am

Post #20 of 20 (212 views)
Shortcut
I take that as the enormous compliment that it is Bomby!!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.