Other actors who could have played Aragorn
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Eruonen
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 6:42pm

Post #1 of 127 (14649 views)
Shortcut
Other actors who could have played Aragorn Can't Post

I long thought, before the films were even dreamed of, that Clint Eastwood's "man with no name" was a near
perfect look for the Ranger of the North. He has the steely eyes and the presence - think of Aragorn at the Prancing Pony.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/...Eastwood_-_1960s.JPG

http://corecanvas.s3.amazonaws.com/...iginal/aragorn_5.jpg

A current actor with striking similarity to Clint is Hugh Jackman.

http://images2.fanpop.com/...101613-1280-1024.jpg

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Sep 10 2013, 6:46pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 10 2013, 7:20pm

Post #2 of 127 (13194 views)
Shortcut
I always wanted Eastwood for Gandalf. [In reply to] Can't Post

He's pointy.

But babies and audiences love round features so we got McKellen with an extra round prosthetic on the end of his nose.

“That hobbit has a pleasant face,
His private life is a disgrace.
I really could not tell to you,
The awful things that hobbits do.”

Eruonen
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 8:27pm

Post #3 of 127 (13175 views)
Shortcut
Clintagorn vs Ruffians in San Bree [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxYdbGHzaTk

Fighting some orcs...2:22 mark
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyjrUAimzZg

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Sep 10 2013, 8:32pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 10 2013, 9:14pm

Post #4 of 127 (13392 views)
Shortcut
BTW, Mortensen was seventh choice. [In reply to] Can't Post

The role was originally offered to Daniel Day Lewis, who declined. Then they offered it to Nicolas Cage, but he refused. They auditioned Vin Diesel, but after they saw the tape they didn’t think he’d work. So they offered it to Daniel Day Lewis again, but he refused again. So they got Stuart Townsend, but after a month of rehearsals they fired him and offered it to Daniel Day Lewis yet again, but he refused it yet again. So Mark Ordesky’s wife reminded him of this actor named Viggo Mortensen they met at a party a year or two before. Ordesky put together a quick demo tape of Mortensen’s roles in “Psycho”, The Prophecy”, and “Texas Chainsaw Massacre III”. (?!?!) He showed the tape to Peter Jackson who, for some reason, felt Mortensen would be perfect for Aragorn. (One wonders exactly what Jackson saw in Mortensen's roles as a villain in these three horror films that made him think that.) Mortensen almost said no, but his son convinced him to take the role. Philippa Boyens said she knew they’d made the right choice when Mortensen’s very first question wasn’t “How much is my salary?” or “How big is my trailer?” but rather “How long did Aragorn live with the Elves?”

If Mortensen had turned down the role New Line was going to take over casting from Jackson. Their first choices were Russell Crowe or Jason Patric.

BTW, Keanu Reeves really wanted the role and apparently his agent floated a few rumors that the casting was a done deal. Needless to say, the resultant storm of protest on TORn was deafening.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 10:39pm

Post #5 of 127 (13250 views)
Shortcut
Talk about the minefield averted! Other than Daniel Day Lewis, [In reply to] Can't Post

the rest were terrible choices. Nicolage Cage?!!
Vin Diesel?!! Keanu Reeves?! (maybe as an elf).

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Sep 11 2013, 1:00am

Post #6 of 127 (13158 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

They would have been terrible choices. I'm glad they picked Viggo. I thought he did well and fit the image.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Sep 11 2013, 1:01am

Post #7 of 127 (13132 views)
Shortcut
That first image of Eastwood isn't bad [In reply to] Can't Post

He kind of looks like an Aragorn. But I'm still content with Viggo.

Meneldor
Valinor

Sep 11 2013, 1:07am

Post #8 of 127 (13186 views)
Shortcut
Why did DDL say no? [In reply to] Can't Post

Was he worried about being typecast after Last of the Mohicans?

That's a beloved movie I haven't seen in a while. Time to dig through my DVDs.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 11 2013, 1:41am

Post #9 of 127 (13182 views)
Shortcut
Well, as I recall... [In reply to] Can't Post

First time it conflicted with a commitment to play "Priest" Vallon in The Gangs of New York. (Of course he didn't end up playing that role.)

The second time, when Jackson thought DDL would be be done with the minor role of Vallon, PJ learned DDL had switched to the major role of Bill "The Butcher" Cutting, so DDL still wasn't finished with The Gangs of New York..

The third time, DDL seems to have given the reason that fifteen months was just too long to commit to a role on the other side of the world away from his family.

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 11 2013, 2:03am

Post #10 of 127 (13186 views)
Shortcut
Knowing DDL's working style... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can only imagine the amount of preparation he would have required for the role--nonstop reading of all major Tolkien works in a short time, to begin. Shooting the film is only a minor part for him. But as you say, it would have been quite a commitment itself in reality for DDL and his family.

Patty
Immortal

Sep 11 2013, 11:56am

Post #11 of 127 (13134 views)
Shortcut
Indeed, although... [In reply to] Can't Post

With the right amount of scruffiness, Keanu might not have been too horrific. Any of the rest of those would have been the kiss of death, although, admittedly I thought the same thing about Sean Astin until I saw the movie. Now I know he was a perfect choice for Sam.

Permanent address: Into the West

Lala

Sep 11 2013, 12:54pm

Post #12 of 127 (13094 views)
Shortcut
Kenau would be perfect for...Figwit! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 11 2013, 6:11pm

Post #13 of 127 (13096 views)
Shortcut
Vin Diesel with or without the see-in-the-dark eyes? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he'd be much too large to play that role. He'd be more of a Boromir. When the two of them cleared the snow for the others on Caradhras, Aragorn was taller and thinner than Boromir, and I'd think a Ranger, even with a healthy diet in Rivendell, wouldn't have Diesel's bodybuilder look to him from living in the wild.

In the book I pictured Aragorn as more clean-cut, the king-in-waiting, but I realized for the movie it's hard to get one actor to look both roguish like Strider and refined like King Aragorn, so I think Viggo was a good choice for the Ranger look. But I don't think he could have pulled off the book scene at the Argonath where he looks all kingly and dignified. Even at his coronation scene in the movie, Viggo looked rough and out of place, IMO.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 11 2013, 6:13pm

Post #14 of 127 (13061 views)
Shortcut
I could see Russell Crowe as Aragorn. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eruonen
Half-elven

Sep 11 2013, 6:36pm

Post #15 of 127 (13107 views)
Shortcut
I agree, I think Russell Crowe could have, but he was just [In reply to] Can't Post

coming off of Gladiator. "The film was shot in three main locations between January-May 1999. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/...ladiator_(2000_film)

Hugh Jackman was involved with X Men.

"Principal photography began in September 1999 and ended in March 2000, in Toronto, Canada"

http://en.wikipedia.org/.../X-Men_(film_series)

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Sep 11 2013, 6:40pm)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Sep 11 2013, 6:45pm

Post #16 of 127 (13112 views)
Shortcut
Fantasy rendering of Sir Clintagorn [In reply to] Can't Post

http://thebrotherhoodofevilgeeks.files.wordpress.com/...3-e1363665565372.jpg

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Sep 11 2013, 6:45pm)

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Sep 12 2013, 9:37am

Post #17 of 127 (13051 views)
Shortcut
Daniel Day Lewis [In reply to] Can't Post

matches Aragorns physical description in the book perfectly. Many of the other actors are too stocky to play the tall lean ranger.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 12 2013, 12:45pm

Post #18 of 127 (13059 views)
Shortcut
So, what if you had to cast Aragorn young? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not Estel young (as a 10 year-old boy), but as a young adult around 25 to 27 years old? Say, you wanted to depict the first meeting of Aragorn and Gandalf the Grey, and the years immediately following.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Eruonen
Half-elven

Sep 12 2013, 2:50pm

Post #19 of 127 (13013 views)
Shortcut
Difficult as there are a lot of unknown actors who could [In reply to] Can't Post

probably be perfect physical matches.

A physique like Chris Hemsworth?

http://0.tqn.com/...chris-hemsworth2.jpg

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 12 2013, 2:54pm

Post #20 of 127 (13013 views)
Shortcut
Ironically... [In reply to] Can't Post

Stuart Townsend, when he was cast as Aragorn in LotR, would have been good for the character as a young Ranger. Now, of course, he is actually the right age to play the older Aragorn.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Eruonen
Half-elven

Sep 12 2013, 3:14pm

Post #21 of 127 (13033 views)
Shortcut
I never thought he had the right look. His face is too sinister in so [In reply to] Can't Post

many photos. A good vampire.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Sep 12 2013, 3:14pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 12 2013, 3:16pm

Post #22 of 127 (12983 views)
Shortcut
Quite possibly true. However... [In reply to] Can't Post

Many people might have said the same thing about Viggo Mortensen after seeing his portrayal of Lucifer in The Prophecy. So, I'm trying to be fair.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Sep 12 2013, 3:23pm

Post #23 of 127 (13070 views)
Shortcut
Townsend as Aragorn. [In reply to] Can't Post

This was from his LOTR days

http://media.aintitcool.com/...townsend-aragorn.jpg

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/4076

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Sep 12 2013, 3:23pm)

shadowdog
Rohan

Sep 12 2013, 4:15pm

Post #24 of 127 (12983 views)
Shortcut
So why [In reply to] Can't Post

was Townsend let go? I wasn't into production details prior to seeing Fellowship in the theater. I heard he was considered too young; but also that there were other problems.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Sep 12 2013, 4:27pm

Post #25 of 127 (13023 views)
Shortcut
Well, when they say "it just was not working" either he was not [In reply to] Can't Post

able to bring enough gravitas in his performance or the look was recognized as just too young etc.

I am sure it was a terrible thing to have happen to a young actor, but he seems to have weathered it ok.

He said this:

"I was there rehearsing and training for two months, then was fired the day before filming began. After that I was told they wouldn't pay me because I was in breach of contract due to not having worked long enough. I had been having a rough time with them, so I was almost relieved to be leaving until they told me I wouldn't be paid. I have no good feelings for those people in charge, I really don't. The director wanted me and then apparently thought better of it because he really wanted someone 20 years older than me and completely different."
http://www.thefantasyforum.com/...t-Townsend-get-fired

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.