Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Smeagol's revenge (fan fiction - but only 240 words!)

noWizardme
Grey Havens

Sep 10 2013, 3:41pm

Views: 165
Shortcut
Smeagol's revenge (fan fiction - but only 240 words!) Can't Post

Gollum, dancing like a mad thing, help aloft the Ring, a finger still thrust within its circle. It shone now as if verily it was wrought of living fire. He shouted, but amidst the roar of the fires below, and the shrieking of voices in his head, he knew not what he was saying - was it Run, Master! He sees us!! Or was it only Precious, precious, precious! O, my Precious!? Impressions beat down upon his exhausted and bewildered senses - Gollum dancing in demented triumph; the Ring shrieking with the malice and rage of its true master, and the onrushing cold presence of his Nazgul. In the leaping fiery light there were wraiths coming for the Ring, and torturers crowding in with hot irons and never-ending questions - or was it only the shadows of Frodo sobbing on his knees, and Sam grimly staggering down the passage towards them? And everywhere, as always for so long, every shade was Deagol's face.

But suddenly, for just an instant, Smeagol was free of them all and knew what he must do. A strange look of insight, determination and deep peace came over his face - at odds with Gollum's cavorting. In the moment before Gollum was aware of the danger, Smeagol stepped them back over the brink. They wavered for a moment on the edge as Gollum struggled frantically, and then with a shriek they toppled and fell into the depths.

I guess most readers here will see that this is an adaptation of part of the Mount Doom chapter of LOTR. Frodo has taken it to the brink of the fire on Mount Doom intending to throw it into the one fire which can destroy it. He's then unable to cast it in: Frodo instead puts the Ring on and claims it for his own - which reveals him to Sauron, and causes an urgent dispatch of the Nazgul away from fighting Aragorn to capturing Frodo the Upstart Dark Lord. But Gollum also wanting the Ring, jumps him, and seizes the Ring by biting off Frodo's finger. The most obvious reading of Tolkien's text, which told from Sam's point of view, is then that Gollum simply overbalances into the fire during his victory dance (with a side order of this perhaps being destiny, or a playing out of Frodo earlier telling Gollum earlier in the chapter"If you touch me ever again, you shall be cast yourself into the Fire of Doom"). Either way, it is Gollum, not Frodo, who finally accomplishes the Ring's destruction. Deagol, you may remember, is Smeagol's companion on a fishing trip - Deagol finds the Ring but then Smeagol murders him for it. This murder haunts Smeagol during the rest of his life. Smeagol's sense of finding a moment of self-possession between the forces beating on him is also intended to recall Frodo's experience of putting the Ring on at Amon Hen.

Nah, I don't really believe Smeagol could really rally his sense of self and destroy the Ring on purpose as I've depicted here- not after so long, and especially not holding the Ring once more and standing on Mt Doom. It's not at all what I think "really happened". But I kinda liked trying this scene from inside Smeagol's head (as opposed to Gollum's head), and seeing if I could give Smeagol an heroic moment, finally realizing that taking the Ring meant either back to the torture chamber, or at best a better-appointed cave to be miserable in. Instead he decides to both get his revenge on his various torturers, and to save Middle-earth.

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

Subject User Time
Smeagol's revenge (fan fiction - but only 240 words!) noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Sep 10 2013, 3:41pm
    Brilliant CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Sep 10 2013, 5:27pm
        Thanks! noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Sep 10 2013, 6:23pm
            Similar to Frodo and free will CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Sep 10 2013, 7:11pm
                Yes, I did have that situation in mind as a parallel! // noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Sep 10 2013, 8:32pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.