New Reading Discussion anytime soon?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Nuradar
Rohan

Sep 10 2013, 11:51am

Post #1 of 129 (748 views)
Shortcut
New Reading Discussion anytime soon? Can't Post

Hi folks. Just wondering if there will be a reading discussion anytime soon. I would like to start the books again because it's been many years since I first read them. I thought it would enhance my experience if I was able to join a discussion. Just wondering, thanks...

Nuradar

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 10 2013, 1:06pm

Post #2 of 129 (577 views)
Shortcut
Hi Nuradar [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, there's not any discussion coming up of the core books (ie TH, LOTR and Sil) at present. As you probably know, we've just finished the read- through of the Sil.
However, Brethil is leading the discussion of Letter 131- in which Tolkien describes the whole legendarium. This should provide fertile grounds for discussion of all the books. The discussion starts 24th Sept and the Letter, if you don't have a copy of Letters, is printed at the beginning of most issues of the Silmarillion
Also, Bruinen was leading a discussion on the History of the Hobbit- he seems to be having a break at the moment- not sure if he's on holiday, or just busy, but that may well resume soon
In November we have the second TORn symposium, whereby anybody can submit an essay on a Tolkien subject.
Please feel free to join in all and everything. Hope this helps Smile

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2013, 1:33pm

Post #3 of 129 (563 views)
Shortcut
Well, if you have something specific in mind... [In reply to] Can't Post

One topic, or point (or a few) that you are burning to discuss, you could post a new topic on it. We don't need to discuss a WHOLE book if you have something on your mind.

Nuradar
Rohan

Sep 10 2013, 1:40pm

Post #4 of 129 (564 views)
Shortcut
thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

for letting me know about the upcoming topics alaen32. I appreciate that, and I'll join if I can. All the best.

Nuradar
Rohan

Sep 10 2013, 1:41pm

Post #5 of 129 (555 views)
Shortcut
thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

for the open invite Rembrethil. I'll definitely keep that in mind as I read the books!

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 4:08pm

Post #6 of 129 (553 views)
Shortcut
Upcoming books [In reply to] Can't Post

Great question, Nuradar. I think that between discussing Letter #131 and the next Symposium, we wouldn't start a new book until December. That might be Unfinished Tales, but I don't think we've reached critical mass for that yet, or had a large enough chorus of voices for it.

I'd like to do a read-through of LOTR, but since that takes 1.5 years, I think we might hold off on that until we've gone through all the other alternatives.

Meanwhile, if you'd like to post your impressions/questions/etc of each chapter as you go along, I'm sure you'd have a lot of willing replies, including mine.

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 4:15pm

Post #7 of 129 (548 views)
Shortcut
Hello Nuradar!! [In reply to] Can't Post

As Elaen most excellently summed up, we have a few things coming up in the near future. We are sort of discussing now what the next 'big thing' will be, after this Symposium - so watch this space!
Glad to hear you are doing a read through. I am coming up soon on my annual LOTR read soon as well.
Hope to see you in the stuff we have scheduled- plus as Rembrethil said if there is something you'd ever like to discuss, you know where to post it!

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

noWizardme
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 4:19pm

Post #8 of 129 (543 views)
Shortcut
Surely +someobody+ was suggesting reading The Fall of Arthur? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 4:21pm

Post #9 of 129 (538 views)
Shortcut
Unfinished Tales would be a fun choice! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 4:23pm

Post #10 of 129 (546 views)
Shortcut
Another piece it would be great to cover. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am all for it. Smile

noWizardme
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 4:23pm

Post #11 of 129 (546 views)
Shortcut
Slo-mo LOTR readthrough? [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose we could do a read-through of LOTR around other things - e.g. schedule 1 week of discussion per month or something? That way it could be done at the same time as tackling another book.

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "

noWizardme
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 4:26pm

Post #12 of 129 (535 views)
Shortcut
History of the Hobbit readthrough is also afoot, I think [In reply to] Can't Post

And most interesting too. The last thread I see is this one

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 4:27pm

Post #13 of 129 (539 views)
Shortcut
We ought to make this a poll! [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously. But I'm thinking we should use this thread because RR regulars (or semi-regulars or whatever) will more likely read it vs the Pollantir, since we'd want to see what active members would participate in. Or we could do a Pollantir too and compare results. Why not?

Anyway, what would people like to discuss next? I'm up for about anything, except for an Index.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 4:33pm

Post #14 of 129 (532 views)
Shortcut
Or maybe pick their favorite chapter of LOTR, out of sequence, and lead it? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2013, 4:40pm

Post #15 of 129 (528 views)
Shortcut
We could do one of the short stories [In reply to] Can't Post

Farmer Giles of Ham

Leaf by Niggle

Smith of Wooton Major

Roverandom

This could fill up the short period between now and Letter #131

Just an idea...............

Maciliel
Valinor

Sep 10 2013, 4:43pm

Post #16 of 129 (533 views)
Shortcut
i was hoping [In reply to] Can't Post

that we'd do lord of the rings next.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 4:48pm

Post #17 of 129 (530 views)
Shortcut
Want to see Elaen do the Index. [In reply to] Can't Post

Been waiting for it.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 4:56pm

Post #18 of 129 (522 views)
Shortcut
She must do the Table of Contents too. A package deal. // [In reply to] Can't Post

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 10 2013, 5:41pm

Post #19 of 129 (522 views)
Shortcut
Blue Meanies the lot of you!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, if you want to be bored beyond endurance.......
Actually, on a more serious note- I wondered about reading LOTR during 2014 since it is the 60th Anniversary year- it might result in even greater participation. However, I know a lot of people like to read it at a set time of year.
Or..... we could have a read through soon and culminate in an LOTR themed TAS (which is also planned). FOTR was published in on 29th July 1954, TTT 11th November 1954 and ROTK not until 20th October 1955, so we can perhaps plan reads (and TAS's) around these?

Otherwise......
Discuss the arrangement Tolkien has used for the index- why do you think he has arranged the names in alphabetical order? Would you have done something different? What do the numbers after the names really refer to? Are they really the page reference numbers or is it really a secret code which will enable the reader to truly enter Middle-earth? So many questionsEvilWink

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 10 2013, 5:46pm

Post #20 of 129 (517 views)
Shortcut
Huh- look at her lording it over in Valinor! [In reply to] Can't Post

And here's me lounging around in my sick bed- actually watching FOTR EE for the first time in ages- and noticing yet more details- like in some of the scenes after they leave Lothlorien, Elijah Wood appears to have a large zit on his chin, which has been skilfully covered with make-up!
Anyway Brethil- I will have my revenge- see above- if you want more of the same, I'm sure I can obligeWinkAngelicEvil

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 10 2013, 5:47pm

Post #21 of 129 (521 views)
Shortcut
There is one from 11th August on Chapter 3-Rivendell// [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 5:52pm

Post #22 of 129 (523 views)
Shortcut
LOL--ROFL! [In reply to] Can't Post

Discuss the arrangement Tolkien has used for the index- why do you think he has arranged the names in alphabetical order? Would you have done something different? What do the numbers after the names really refer to? Are they really the page reference numbers or is it really a secret code which will enable the reader to truly enter Middle-earth?

See? We KNEW you could so something with it, we just knew!

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 10 2013, 5:58pm

Post #23 of 129 (521 views)
Shortcut
There's more where that came from [In reply to] Can't Post

You have been warned!Evil

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 6:31pm

Post #24 of 129 (517 views)
Shortcut
Pollantir thread with a signpost? [In reply to] Can't Post

Shall we use the Pollantir format to vote on options, with a post here announcing it? I can do it if you want CG or you can. All depends on how many references you want made to Thorin's magnificence.

I think running commentary on Elijah's complexion should be an option.

And on a serious note ( not that Frodo's acne isnt highly serious) the idea of aLOTR readthrough in 2014, for the 60th Anniversary, seems fitting, with a bit of space in July for the Symposium.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Sep 10 2013, 6:33pm)

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 10 2013, 6:41pm

Post #25 of 129 (510 views)
Shortcut
I'm about to embark on TTT [In reply to] Can't Post

so I will update you on any dermatological crises spotted (see what I did there?)WinkTongue

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.