Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Tolkien scholar reviews of AUJ?

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2013, 2:18am

Post #1 of 8 (243 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien scholar reviews of AUJ? Can't Post

I'm just very curious to hear what some of the top Tolkien scholars think of Jackson's adaptation thus far. I know John Rateliff did a review on his blog, but when I went to read it, it seemed to be unavailable.

Not that it's going to change my opinion of good-but-not-great regarding AUJ, but I'm really dying to hear the perspective of someone who has spent a significant amount of time researching Tolkien's writing in-depth. Any help would be appreciated Smile

demnation
Rohan

Sep 10 2013, 4:12am

Post #2 of 8 (180 views)
Shortcut
I think Tom Shippey [In reply to] Can't Post

said somewhere that he enjoyed it, even though it was a bit noisy and bombastic. From what I can tell, most of the top Tolkien scholars avoid saying anything about the films. John Rateliff is the only one I can think of that has actually said anything of real substance.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

(This post was edited by demnation on Sep 10 2013, 4:13am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 10 2013, 9:28am

Post #3 of 8 (156 views)
Shortcut
And the original threads can be found here: [In reply to] Can't Post

Tom Shippey's review of the film - Thread

John Rateliff's review of the film - Thread

And, John Rateliff's review of the DVD - Thread

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 10 2013, 11:18am

Post #4 of 8 (136 views)
Shortcut
Pssst Daniel! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your link to Tom Shippey's review actually links to your roll cloud picture!Wink

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 10 2013, 11:53am

Post #5 of 8 (134 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad it did. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's an impressive cloud!

'Twas in the Land of Willows that I heard th'unfathomed breath
Of the Horns of Ylmir calling - and shall hear them till my death.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 10 2013, 1:58pm

Post #6 of 8 (129 views)
Shortcut
Subliminal messaging at its best! [In reply to] Can't Post

Did it work? Wink It must have been the last thing I copied/pasted, and ended up not pressing the right buttons. Wink

This is the right link.

Unless you want to look at more clouds, then click here.

BlushLaugh

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2013, 3:35pm

Post #7 of 8 (104 views)
Shortcut
Ah thank you Daniel... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and yes, very impressive cloud pictures...

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2013, 4:56pm

Post #8 of 8 (135 views)
Shortcut
Shippey review link... [In reply to] Can't Post

Wasn't able to read Shippey's review, apparently the publication that he wrote it for doesn't allow for free viewing of certain articles.

Thanks anyway, enjoyed reading the Rateliff review.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.