Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Just like the book!

Darkstone
Half-elven

Sep 9 2013, 9:17pm

Views: 155
Shortcut
Just like the book! [In reply to] Can't Post

There came great beasts, like moving houses in the red and fitful light, the műmakil of the Harad dragging through the lanes amid the fires huge towers and engines.
-The Seige of Gondor

1.) In your opinion, what about this shot makes it near flawless (assuming you share my opinon)? What details? Does it appear flawed?

As they come from out of the fog the contour of the heads is reminiscent of the monstrous face of the Watcher in the Water. These are not cute circus pachyderms. These are not sweet wooly mammoths. These are monsters of another age emerging from the mists of time.

Just perfect.

2.) Would you have preferred a more traditional design, perhaps closer to an elephant, or is this broader design more fitting?

Instead of a piddly little traditional elephant I’d prefer Tolkien’s monstrously sized oliphaunt:

The ruins of what seemed a very war-tower lay upon his heaving back, smashed in his furious passage through the woods; and high upon his neck still desperately clung a tiny figure-the body of a mighty warrior, a giant among the Swertings.
-Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit

A wonderful and humorous comparison! It's so huge it makes a giant of a man seem tiny! Now that’s a big animal!!

3.) Any other thoughts?

Sam drew a deep breath. "An Oliphaunt it was!" he said. "So there are Oliphaunts, and I have seen one. What a life! But no one at home will ever believe me.”
-ibid

Yeah, Sam, PJ knows how you feel!

“That hobbit has a pleasant face,
His private life is a disgrace.
I really could not tell to you,
The awful things that hobbits do.”

Subject User Time
SCOD: The Mumakil One Ringer Send a private message to One Ringer Sep 9 2013, 1:08pm
    Oliphaunts vs. Elephants Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Sep 9 2013, 1:23pm
        Well Faleel Send a private message to Faleel Sep 9 2013, 2:31pm
            Who said anything about "small"? Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Sep 9 2013, 3:36pm
    The mumakil are awesome!! Werde Spinner Send a private message to Werde Spinner Sep 9 2013, 2:39pm
    I'm wondering if Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor Sep 9 2013, 3:18pm
        Throne of Blood (1957)? Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Sep 9 2013, 7:12pm
    I Faleel Send a private message to Faleel Sep 9 2013, 7:33pm
    Just like the book! Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Sep 9 2013, 9:17pm
    "Legions of Haradrim from the south." Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Sep 10 2013, 8:58pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.