Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Miniatures/Bigatures...the real problem?

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Sep 9 2013, 2:48pm

Views: 1316
Shortcut
Miniatures/Bigatures...the real problem? Can't Post

I remember Peter discussing this topic at the beginning of filming for The Hobbit. He said that, because of the huge detail they are shooting in (48fps, 5k), they can't use miniatures. They had to do everything on the computer because they couldn't capture that detail in miniatures like they did in LOTR.

I just finished watching all of the special features on LOTR again and those guys that made the miniatures were unbelievably talented. The detail that went into them was out of this world.

Now I know that there aren't many moments in AUJ that could use miniatures, but I have a feeling that we might be missing out on a huge aspect of filming that we had in LOTR. I just remember some of those shots in LOTR, such as the Argonath, Helms Deep, Minas Tirith, Rivendale, Orthanc, etc. that used miniatures/bigatures, and how absolutely amazing those looked on screen.

They were able to use them to get panning shots, close ups, and background sets, as well as overlapping them with other shots. I just feel that the use of that vital tool was essential to getting some groundbreaking shots and visuals and that not having them in the Hobbit is a huge loss.

I'm not sure how close they can match the detail on the computers. I remember Peter saying how he would love to do more stuff on miniatures after LOTR. Those guys were world class miniature makers by the end.

What are your thoughts on the use of these in LOTR and the lack of them in The Hobbit?

Subject User Time
Miniatures/Bigatures...the real problem? Misty Mountain Hop Send a private message to Misty Mountain Hop Sep 9 2013, 2:48pm
    Don't take my word for it Thranderz Send a private message to Thranderz Sep 9 2013, 3:04pm
    I thought the miniatures in LotR were fabulous... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Sep 9 2013, 3:28pm
        Agree 100% Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Sep 9 2013, 4:44pm
    My thoughts Skaan Send a private message to Skaan Sep 9 2013, 3:41pm
        I would have to agree. Misty Mountain Hop Send a private message to Misty Mountain Hop Sep 9 2013, 3:59pm
        Dwarrowdelf in LotR arithmancer Send a private message to arithmancer Sep 9 2013, 8:21pm
            Ah yes, forgot about that Skaan Send a private message to Skaan Sep 9 2013, 9:14pm
                My recollection arithmancer Send a private message to arithmancer Sep 10 2013, 12:01am
    The technology has caught up with miniatures DwellerInDale Send a private message to DwellerInDale Sep 9 2013, 4:00pm
    the artistic look is gone architecthis Send a private message to architecthis Sep 9 2013, 5:02pm
        But surely.... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Sep 9 2013, 6:08pm
            absolutely architecthis Send a private message to architecthis Sep 9 2013, 6:22pm
                .. vinsanity Send a private message to vinsanity Sep 9 2013, 6:29pm
                Quite so....the artistic skill or value is not in doubt, Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Sep 9 2013, 8:05pm
                    agreed architecthis Send a private message to architecthis Sep 9 2013, 10:09pm
                    OT Cirashala Send a private message to Cirashala Sep 9 2013, 11:07pm
                        What I found a bit jarring about Rivendell in AUJ... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Sep 10 2013, 12:08am
                            Rivendell in LotR arithmancer Send a private message to arithmancer Sep 10 2013, 12:24am
                                Different Rivendell Old Pilgrim Send a private message to Old Pilgrim Sep 10 2013, 5:45am
                                    60 years arithmancer Send a private message to arithmancer Sep 10 2013, 12:20pm
                                        It's interesting you mention the colour grading... Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Sep 10 2013, 12:56pm
                        I think they have re-jigged the layout of Rivendell for TH... Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Sep 10 2013, 10:01am
                        In LOTR Legomir Send a private message to Legomir Sep 10 2013, 11:27am
                            I'm not sure there is much consistency ... DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Sep 10 2013, 2:18pm
                                Well Legomir Send a private message to Legomir Sep 10 2013, 7:16pm
                                But is the WETA environment consistent with LotR....? dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Sep 10 2013, 7:51pm
                                Changes Elessar Send a private message to Elessar Sep 10 2013, 11:16pm
                                Thang You Very Buch...Daniel Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Sep 11 2013, 12:38am
                    Both look real to me Elessar Send a private message to Elessar Sep 10 2013, 12:59pm
                        Me too // dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Sep 10 2013, 1:28pm
            A medium rooted in technology. cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Sep 9 2013, 6:52pm
                Excellent post, cats Noria Send a private message to Noria Sep 9 2013, 7:27pm
                    Thanks, and very good points yourself, Noria. cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Sep 9 2013, 7:55pm
                This is the end of cinema! Again! Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Sep 9 2013, 10:17pm
                    I feel like we've done this before. cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Sep 9 2013, 10:38pm
                ... architecthis Send a private message to architecthis Sep 9 2013, 10:18pm
                as an analogy architecthis Send a private message to architecthis Sep 9 2013, 10:26pm
                    To answer both of your posts... cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Sep 9 2013, 11:00pm
                        thanks for the response architecthis Send a private message to architecthis Sep 9 2013, 11:15pm
                            I get where you're coming from. cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Sep 10 2013, 11:56pm
                        Agree. Different look and different issues to overcome. glor Send a private message to glor Sep 10 2013, 12:56am
                I think "change" is the best way to put it. Misty Mountain Hop Send a private message to Misty Mountain Hop Sep 11 2013, 2:46pm
                    I totally agree Silwen_Peredhil Send a private message to Silwen_Peredhil Sep 11 2013, 7:33pm
        I fear that movies will never be the same. Misty Mountain Hop Send a private message to Misty Mountain Hop Sep 12 2013, 1:48pm
            i actually do not think this will happen architecthis Send a private message to architecthis Sep 12 2013, 2:06pm
    3D has a lot to answer for sycorax82 Send a private message to sycorax82 Sep 10 2013, 11:45am
    Not a problem for me nhui06 Send a private message to nhui06 Sep 10 2013, 6:06pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.