Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
pony petters
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Sep 9 2013, 5:58am

Post #1 of 29 (779 views)
Shortcut
pony petters Can't Post

since i'm fond of horses and kind to animals in real life, i notice (and like) when individuals, either acting as their characters or their real-life selves, are nice to horses and ponies in the films. giving them gentle pats and so on.

i noticed quite a few individuals in auj patting their equine companions. not sure whether they were doing this because they were just being themselves or whether they thought their characters would do this, but i like seeing it.

gandalf pets shadowfax, and the horse on whom he rode to isengard. i think i also recall him petting his horse in auj.

bilbo / freeman of course pets myrtle. i believe i saw both dori and fili pet their ponies. i'll have to watch again, keeping the pony petters in mind, and keep a tally.

has anyone else noticed this?

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Glorfindela
Valinor

Sep 9 2013, 4:45pm

Post #2 of 29 (379 views)
Shortcut
People who are kind to (non-human) animals and like them are generally decent [In reply to] Can't Post

Just an observationůSmile

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Sep 9 2013, 4:48pm

Post #3 of 29 (363 views)
Shortcut
agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

agreed, glorfindela. : )

have you noticed any pony petters in auj?

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Glorfindela
Valinor

Sep 9 2013, 4:59pm

Post #4 of 29 (363 views)
Shortcut
I haven't specifically noticed any [In reply to] Can't Post

But I always like seeing kindness to animals, so if you do think of any specific instances I would be interested to hear about them. Smile

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Sep 9 2013, 5:09pm

Post #5 of 29 (348 views)
Shortcut
one... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that comes to mind...

as the troop arrives at the desolate, former farm and prepares to make camp, in the background, dori and / or fili pets a pony.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Sep 9 2013, 6:57pm

Post #6 of 29 (357 views)
Shortcut
Here's a few screencaps [In reply to] Can't Post

Fili pets a pony

Bilbo pets a pony

Bilbo sneaks treats to a pony

Bilbo gets a pony

Azog pets a warg

Just had to throw that last one in there. Azog seems pretty fond of Daisy. Evil

"It was just a sword, beautiful in the way of a weapon, with the jewels in the hilt set in gold scrollwork, and the blade glimmering and eager, as if it would fight of itself. Weapons are named for this; some are eager fighters, some dogged, some unwilling; but all are alive."--The Hollow Hills

cats16
Tol Eressea

Sep 9 2013, 6:59pm

Post #7 of 29 (346 views)
Shortcut
Sadly i just pictured... [In reply to] Can't Post

Azog singing the song 'Daisy' from 2001 to his pal, Daisy. ShockedCrazyLaugh

Is there a Black Speech Google Translator? I wonder if we can find the lyrics for that...Tongue

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Sep 9 2013, 11:03pm

Post #8 of 29 (278 views)
Shortcut
I'm getting warm fuzzies just thinking about it. :P [In reply to] Can't Post

"It was just a sword, beautiful in the way of a weapon, with the jewels in the hilt set in gold scrollwork, and the blade glimmering and eager, as if it would fight of itself. Weapons are named for this; some are eager fighters, some dogged, some unwilling; but all are alive."--The Hollow Hills

(This post was edited by Riven Delve on Sep 9 2013, 11:03pm)

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Sep 10 2013, 12:33am

Post #9 of 29 (249 views)
Shortcut
So true! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Sep 10 2013, 12:36am

Post #10 of 29 (265 views)
Shortcut
I just now noticed the pony petting [In reply to] Can't Post

I only ever noticed Bilbo sneaking treats to Myrtle. I saw the screencaps of the pony petting. Makes on feel all warm inside. Blush They were so nice to the ponies.

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 2:47am

Post #11 of 29 (249 views)
Shortcut
It is lovely to see Telpemairo! [In reply to] Can't Post

An excellent thread!

Though it is not in film but in a Vlog, I love the quick shot of RA and his pony tossing their hair together. Cool

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 2:48am

Post #12 of 29 (249 views)
Shortcut
I agree Glorfindela! // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
People who are kind to (non-human) animals and like them are generally decent
Just an observationůSmile

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Lightfoot
Rivendell

Sep 11 2013, 1:05pm

Post #13 of 29 (179 views)
Shortcut
All those pony petters [In reply to] Can't Post

even decided to leave the ponies in Rivendell and save them from a rather gruesome fate. ( in the book they were devoured by certain goblins under the Misty Mountains)

Faithful servant yet master's bane,
Lightfoot's foal, swift Snowmane

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2013, 1:43pm

Post #14 of 29 (170 views)
Shortcut
well.. [In reply to] Can't Post

... technically they bolted, but i definitely noticed that in auj, the ponies got a better fate than in the book.

let's see how the ponies beorn will lend them wind up. i hope they too get a better fate in the films than they did in the book.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2013, 3:06pm

Post #15 of 29 (161 views)
Shortcut
Never noticed that! [In reply to] Can't Post

But in a film, somethings can be changed, to a positive effect. In a book you can leave things to the imagination; in a film, less so. This was something I wouldn't want to see, implied of otherwise.

Sooooo, who thinks that they might come back later?

I personally think that the third film, could very well center around a non-human character, and I am NOT talking about Smaug.

AngelicAngelicThe Hobbit: The Return of Minty the Magnificent!!AngelicAngelic

Think about it!Wink

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 11 2013, 4:48pm

Post #16 of 29 (148 views)
Shortcut
I thought... [In reply to] Can't Post

that the ponies Beorn gave them returned- the Dwarves were lent them to take as far as the entrance to the elf road into Mirkwood, but had to send them back, Beorn, as a bear, trails them, at a distance, to ensure that they treat the ponies well and let them go- the ponies can take themselves home. It is the ponies they are given at Lake Town which get barbecued by Smaug.
Moral of the story? If you're a pony, never volunteer to carry a dwarf!!

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2013, 4:51pm

Post #17 of 29 (144 views)
Shortcut
you're right [In reply to] Can't Post

you're right telain elaen, i was confusing them with the lake town ponies.

nevertheless, i hope the ponies get a better cinematic fate than the literary one.

you know -- one of the things i sorely missed in return of the king was a nice cameo of bill, safe in the shire.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 11 2013, 5:03pm

Post #18 of 29 (140 views)
Shortcut
Sam was riding Bill to the Grey Havens [In reply to] Can't Post

Well actually, probably not- but weren't the three other hobbits on ponies, whilst Frodo rode in the cart with Bilbo? Then Sam returns on foot[crazy unless he had just stabled Bill nearby somewhere

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2013, 5:29pm

Post #19 of 29 (133 views)
Shortcut
there were four ponies [In reply to] Can't Post

frodo's was tethered to the back of the wagon, because he rode with bilbo. it was to keep up the pretense until the last minute. frodo knew he wasn't returning, but merry, pippin, and sam did not.

i'm not sure why you're thinking that sam walked back on foot (?)

yes, it would have been lovely if sam had been riding bill.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 11 2013, 5:40pm

Post #20 of 29 (140 views)
Shortcut
Well, let's say that Sam's pony WAS Bill [In reply to] Can't Post

I like that ideaSmile
Re Sam walking- in the last scene, Sam is seen walking around the bend to his hobbit hole, having just got back from the Grey Havens and says "Well, I'm back". He has no pony with him then, so, I'm assuming he had put the pony in the stable firstCool

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2013, 5:48pm

Post #21 of 29 (125 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

i always assumed he put the pony back in the stable first. also, i have always rather thought that sam doesn't own a pony, that it was borrowed.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

swordwhale
Grey Havens

Sep 11 2013, 5:51pm

Post #22 of 29 (130 views)
Shortcut
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileSmile

I always find this a positive side of someone's character (I grew up on horseback and with other critters as well).

Bilbo's little sneaky snack to Myrtle is very nice. Also find of Viggo Mortenson's horsemanship and obvious caring for his equine costars... and Orli's nose kissing (even though he is not as terrific a horseman).

Also: while in the books, Tolkien often reflects the reality of war by having the ponies get killed or eaten, the movies are kinder to them. Tolkien lived through WW I, in which untold millions of equines died alongside their human war partners.

Back In The Day (the 50s), TV western cowboys like Roy Rogers and Clayton Moore (the Lone Ranger) notably did a lot of horse hugging; their horses were, in fact, stars in their own right, and got more publicity sometimes than their human sidekicks.

So yeah, where are their stars on the Hollywood walk of fame?????

Go outside and play...

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 11 2013, 5:53pm

Post #23 of 29 (122 views)
Shortcut
Twas Bill, I tell you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, I've always loved the part of the book when they return to Bree on the way home and Sam is reunited with Bill. After the way Tolkien treated the ponies of The Hobbit, I'm always so glad that Bill wasn't eaten by the Watcher in the Water!!

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2013, 6:02pm

Post #24 of 29 (129 views)
Shortcut
i've always thought [In reply to] Can't Post

that it must have bothered vigo to how his character to allow brego to be set loose with not only his halter, but a trailing rope.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

swordwhale
Grey Havens

Sep 12 2013, 3:36am

Post #25 of 29 (101 views)
Shortcut
trailing ropes........... [In reply to] Can't Post

indeed!

a fairly short cotton rope is less of a hazard... I've seen horsemen leave such on a hard to catch horse in a clean paasture (with nothing to catch it on), a thick cotton rope is unlikely to cause issues like rope burn... when I adopted my mustang through the BLM's adopt-a-horse program, she was shoved through chutes (this is a wild, unhandled horse!), and a leather (breakable) halter and cotton lead were put on her as per the Rules... the corral faeries apparently came out and unwove the rope, leaving the snap dangling from the halter... she tamed rather well anyway......

Go outside and play...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.