Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies (et. al.) did you watch last weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 9 2013, 2:02am

Post #1 of 33 (337 views)
Shortcut
What movies (et. al.) did you watch last weekend? Can't Post

which really means what visual, moving media have you watched recently or since the last time you posted?

No movies for me, although I'm still hoping to see Pacific Rim (for a second time) at the second run theater.

On DVD, we've been watching season 3 of Walking Dead.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 9 2013, 3:51am

Post #2 of 33 (200 views)
Shortcut
No movies, but season six of True Blood has just finished here. [In reply to] Can't Post

While I thought the season overall was good (LOVED the fairy grandfather!), the last two episodes were weeeeeeeak. I'm glad that the series will end after the next season, and I hope the show gets its mojo back for all the episodes next year.

The TV reviewer on stuff.co.nz wasn't as enamoured with season six though:

It's as though the writers decided the best way to improve on two separate villains is to combine them. "You know what's scarier than faeries and vampires? A faerie-vampire!" No, what's scary is that the same logic was applied to the writing of Sharknado. Fortunately the makers of Sharknado realised they were making F-grade trash and embraced it.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Sep 9 2013, 3:52am)

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Sep 9 2013, 3:58am

Post #3 of 33 (200 views)
Shortcut
Billy Budd, 1962, directed by Peter Ustinov [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure many viewers would dismiss it as a boring old B&W movie, but I was fascinated. It's a character driven discourse on law and justice that examines what happens when the purest and most innocent of men meets the most corrupt and despicable bully. Of course, setting the story on a Royal Navy man o' war in 1797 doesn't exactly discourage my interest. Based on a story by Herman Melville (Moby Dick).

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep.

(This post was edited by Meneldor on Sep 9 2013, 4:03am)

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Sep 9 2013, 1:46pm

Post #4 of 33 (183 views)
Shortcut
Star Wars... [In reply to] Can't Post

Episode I through III with some friends on Saturday. I don't think they're as bad as everyone says - they just drag along in certain sequences. Well, ate pancakes and chocolates and made ourselves sick, ending with a philosophical discussion close to midnight. And something to do with Anakin Skywalker's cute little braid. Crazy
What do you think of The Walking Dead so far, Magpie?

"Eala Earendel engla beorhtast
ofer middangeard monnum sended."

"There is nothing so absurd but some philosopher has said it." - Cicero

(This post was edited by BoromirOfWinterfell on Sep 9 2013, 1:47pm)

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Sep 9 2013, 2:49pm

Post #5 of 33 (187 views)
Shortcut
Pride & Prejudice [In reply to] Can't Post

The new one, with Keira Knightly. We also have the older 5-hour version. We're sort of Jane Austen junkies at our house. We have all the books (and have even read most of them) and are working our way towards having every single movie adaptation of every single book. Some adaptations are better than others. The long BBC ones usually are the best, though.

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

cats16
Valinor

Sep 9 2013, 5:13pm

Post #6 of 33 (163 views)
Shortcut
Ooo that sounds interesting. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've heard of it, but didn't know of the setting. Sounds like I'll need to put that on my list.

About this time last year, I caught the Gable/Laughton version of Mutiny on the Bounty on TV. It was incredible! I couldn't believe how grand the film was, especially coming out in 1935. I wouldn't hesitate to rate it higher than some other acclaimed films of that era. It's strange how you don't hear anything about it in any "all time" lists.

Side note: Have you heard (won't assume either way) about Ron Howard's adaptation of In the Heart of the Sea? I was so close to grabbing the book when I was in Barnes & Noble recently. I'm really looking forward to seeing that story come to life (based on what I know about it from Melville's inspirations).

(This post was edited by cats16 on Sep 9 2013, 5:16pm)

cats16
Valinor

Sep 9 2013, 5:30pm

Post #7 of 33 (168 views)
Shortcut
Sadly not much this weekend... [In reply to] Can't Post

Caught the last 20 or so minutes of Argo on HBO last night (didn't realize until then that there was a free preview weekend...). Although I'm planning on watching quite a few things over the next couple of weeks.

I'm still not fond of Argo. Even seeing the ending again confirmed this.

Forgot to mention that music video 'The Fox'. I saw it first in the thread here. After the initial shock, I think the video actually has a surprising (for some) amount of social commentary on the state of pop culture. In my mind, it shouldn't be dismissed-- on an analytical level. If you watch it as a satirical video, you can find a lot of neat moments in there. I think those quickest to laugh it off and declare it to be worthless are those most unwilling to see another level of meaning. (Of course I don't mean anyone here or elsewhere in particular. A general statement based on reading about it across the internet.)

(This post was edited by cats16 on Sep 9 2013, 5:33pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 9 2013, 7:33pm

Post #8 of 33 (158 views)
Shortcut
Matango [In reply to] Can't Post

I've probably written this up before. But Uncle Baggins hadn't seen it before, and I had it on hand, so we watched it together. It's a lovely Japanese B-movie from 1963. As kid I saw it a couple of times on black and white TV, under the name "Attack of the Mushroom People". For a B movie, it's actually pretty good. It was scarier in black and white, though it's still pretty atmospheric in color. The sets are amazing. I loved the fungus-covered ship. And the storm effects were very good for the time.

One curious thing about this movie is the similarity of the opening to Gilligan's Island, which was created a year later. Did the Gilligan's Island creators know about Matango? In Matango, there's a small yacht manned by a skipper and one sailor. It's caught in a storm, and shipwrecked on a small island. There are five passengers: a rich man, a professor, a sweet girl, a movie star girl, and a writer. The writer doesn't match the GI characters, but the others do.

Anyway, this is a childhood favorite and it was fun to watch it again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Sep 9 2013, 7:34pm)

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Sep 9 2013, 8:44pm

Post #9 of 33 (146 views)
Shortcut
First I've heard about it. I like RH movies. [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it in production now? Any talk about release dates?

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

cats16
Valinor

Sep 9 2013, 9:08pm

Post #10 of 33 (140 views)
Shortcut
Not entirely sure, to be honest. [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw an Empire article say shooting would begin sometime in September (in London), but I haven't seen any confirmation of that being true. Pre-production started some time ago, I know. I remember seeing Howard tweet a picture of whaling-related items awhile back. I think he was on the East coast doing research.

Have not seen a release date, either. My guess, though, would be late fall/early winter 2014. Seems like an Oscar-bait film.

demnation
Rohan

Sep 9 2013, 10:45pm

Post #11 of 33 (133 views)
Shortcut
Back to the Future [In reply to] Can't Post

Still holds up, I think.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.Ē Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

sevilodorf
Gondor

Sep 9 2013, 11:45pm

Post #12 of 33 (136 views)
Shortcut
Lone Ranger [In reply to] Can't Post

Not great but certainly not as bad as the box office makes it out to be. Better than Oz the Great and Powerful in my opinion.

A few too many Johnny Depp jokes and definitely a paint by the numbers sort of movie, but there were some laughable moments. It suffered most from not making up its mind what type of movie it wanted to be... will we treat the subject seriously or poke fun at it?

C for mediocre.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Nunilo
Bree

Sep 10 2013, 7:00am

Post #13 of 33 (123 views)
Shortcut
Endeavour [In reply to] Can't Post

I recently finished the first series of Endeavour (the prequel to Inspector Morse) and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was very well made and the costumes/acting excellent. I haven't seen much of the original Morse but I definitely want to catch up on them now. There's a funny thing on the DVD I bought. In the show the detective is called 'Fred Thursday', but the blurb on the back cover refers to him as 'Fred Friday'! Laugh

I also watched Broadchurch, which I really liked until the ending, which I found a bit underwhelming. It will be interesting to see how they do series 2.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 10 2013, 6:25pm

Post #14 of 33 (136 views)
Shortcut
Best movie of the year [In reply to] Can't Post

GRAVITY. Holy @#$%.

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Tauriel saved us from Itaril. Never forget.

cats16
Valinor

Sep 11 2013, 1:23am

Post #15 of 33 (106 views)
Shortcut
Mind if I ask... [In reply to] Can't Post

how did you see it already?! Shocked

I'll be there at midnight to see it when it's out, but is it available elsewhere?

No need to reveal your ways if you'd like to keep it a secret.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 11 2013, 12:59pm

Post #16 of 33 (99 views)
Shortcut
No secrecy [In reply to] Can't Post

Festival. Smile

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Pazeer
Rivendell

Sep 11 2013, 2:08pm

Post #17 of 33 (81 views)
Shortcut
The Time Machine [In reply to] Can't Post

Watched The Time Machine with Guy Pearce as the lead!
I think it's a great movie, so can someone explain to me why it has only gotten a score of 5 on IMDB?!

Also catched Riddick in the cinema! Good sci-fi/action fun, although it wasn't a fantastic movie! Not as good as Pitch Black, but would recommend it if you just want to see a fun and pretty straightforward movie!
BTW: The effects were great! Smile

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 11 2013, 2:27pm

Post #18 of 33 (73 views)
Shortcut
LOL, I already forgot I saw Riddick [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a total rehash of Pitch Black with much less interesting supporting cast. How to make An Unnecessary Sequel 101. Better than abominable Chronicles of Riddick, though, but that's not saying much.

IMO, this franchise has the same issue as POTC - they made a trickster character (Jack Sparrow, Riddick) a main one in sequels and that doesn't work. Caroline Fry and Elizabeth Swann were main protagonists in first POTC and Pitch Black respectively and then they just went with popularity contest over narrative and made trickster into a hero. Which neutered half of their initial appeal.

cats16
Valinor

Sep 11 2013, 3:17pm

Post #19 of 33 (75 views)
Shortcut
Aha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Must have been quite the experience.

*walks away jealous*

Wink

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 11 2013, 4:22pm

Post #20 of 33 (70 views)
Shortcut
It really was [In reply to] Can't Post

October will be here any day. trust me, it's worse when you se eit and then have to wait to see it again.

cats16
Valinor

Sep 11 2013, 4:25pm

Post #21 of 33 (66 views)
Shortcut
Didn't think of it like that. [In reply to] Can't Post

While I'm thinking of it, did you see it in 3D?

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 11 2013, 4:41pm

Post #22 of 33 (72 views)
Shortcut
Yes that was the only way [In reply to] Can't Post

You think you are in space. It's just that immersive. ground-brekaing visual effects and heartfelt story to boot. Bullock is beyond fantastic.

cats16
Valinor

Sep 11 2013, 5:50pm

Post #23 of 33 (57 views)
Shortcut
Wow. Can't wait! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 11 2013, 6:15pm

Post #24 of 33 (52 views)
Shortcut
That's the impression I got from the trailer... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It was a total rehash of Pitch Black.

...which confuses me because of the big change of direction taken in the second film.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 11 2013, 6:38pm

Post #25 of 33 (48 views)
Shortcut
yep [In reply to] Can't Post

This is PB on another planet with Riddick and a bunch of non-descript tough guy and a token masculine girl sterotypes. No surprises unlike several PB reveals. They address stuff from the second movie briefly at the beginning so those who want to see Karl Urban should try not to blink.

They went back to PB recycle bin because Chronicles of Riddick flopped and rightly so. I've nothing against trying something different but that was poor execution in every way conceivable.

(This post was edited by Semper Fi on Sep 11 2013, 6:39pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.