Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Come on in! It's Fiesta time!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Patty
Immortal

Sep 7 2013, 10:41am

Post #26 of 57 (146 views)
Shortcut
Have a great weekend everybody! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Permanent address: Into the West

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 7 2013, 12:41pm

Post #27 of 57 (144 views)
Shortcut
*hugs* [In reply to] Can't Post

This is such a difficult thing to deal with - my prayers for healing for you and all your family! Unsure

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Sep 7 2013, 2:37pm

Post #28 of 57 (155 views)
Shortcut
No as bad as when they dug up Beethoven . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Evil

And congrats on finding your cousin! It's wonderful to re-connect. Hopefully you two can Moot up sometime in person (I recommend the descent from Chasm).Laugh

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 7 2013, 2:44pm

Post #29 of 57 (155 views)
Shortcut
You mean when he was [In reply to] Can't Post

decomposing?

My piano teacher told me that joke when I was eleven :-D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Sep 7 2013, 5:02pm

Post #30 of 57 (139 views)
Shortcut
Yes! But it's even worse for poor Maurice. [In reply to] Can't Post

He was un-Raveling.
Sly

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Sep 7 2013, 7:58pm

Post #31 of 57 (135 views)
Shortcut
Anybody raise bees around here? [In reply to] Can't Post

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Sep 7 2013, 9:30pm

Post #32 of 57 (131 views)
Shortcut
Oh, how sad. [In reply to] Can't Post

So sorry your family's having to go through all that, Ataahua. Such an awful tragedy, and there's no sense to be made of it. Too many young people are lost -- and older people too -- through suicide. Sending lots of "hang in there" thoughts your way.

Our kowhai trees have been blooming for weeks now -- they've got to be almost finished. They sure are pretty when they're in flower! I love hearing and seeing the bellbirds up close when they come visit the trees! Unfortunately our biggest kowhai, rather a good-sized tree, is way around back where no one ever sees it; we've got three little ones around front but they've got some growing to do!

Greenwood Hobbit
Gondor

Sep 7 2013, 10:26pm

Post #33 of 57 (122 views)
Shortcut
<snicker> Great picture! Imagine if the Vikings had filmed Pinocchio'... [In reply to] Can't Post

Greenwood Hobbit
Gondor

Sep 7 2013, 10:38pm

Post #34 of 57 (130 views)
Shortcut
A very sad week for Ataahua and family [In reply to] Can't Post

which I'm really sorry to read about. It's very true about keeping in touch and keeping an eye on people being important, though they can be very resistant to help sometimes.

I've just been lucky enough to take my father to Jersey (Channel Islands, between England and France) for a few days. It's only a small island, about nine miles by five, but full of interest and beautiful scenery. The native granite is an unusual warm peachy shade, very attractive. There is a lot of history there attached to WW2, as it was occupied by the Germans, and that aspect brings in the tourists, as well as the beaches, walking routes etc. Dad is past going away on his own (he's 86) so I do all the organising, driving etc, and he pays - it works for me!

Have also just drink my first ever American beer - Goose Island India Pale Ale, brewed in Chicago. Very tasty - cheers!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 8 2013, 5:29am

Post #35 of 57 (114 views)
Shortcut
Glad you liked it! Goose Island is a real place [In reply to] Can't Post

in Chicago. It's a man-made island, but it was formed by the Chicago River branching off in two directions. The remaining part of the "island" was a man-made channel dug in the late 19th century.

The brewery is still located in Chicago, but unfortunately it was recently purchased by a major beer conglomerate. They have promised to let Goose Island brew their own special beers, but most major beer companies in the US make their money by delivering a consistent, mostly bland product. We'll see how long Goose Island can remain independent.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 8 2013, 11:48pm

Post #36 of 57 (108 views)
Shortcut
Could it have been a roll cloud? [In reply to] Can't Post

Like these ones here?

You're right that it could've been a front, but it might also have been strong land and sea breezes. They also form before/during (on the edge of) thunderstorms, but you said there weren't any other clouds about. You guys get all the cool clouds. Jealous.

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Sep 9 2013, 12:25am

Post #37 of 57 (110 views)
Shortcut
Whoa! No I've never [In reply to] Can't Post

seen anything quite like those! Where do those tend to happen?

"MIne" was flat, except for little bitty skinny downdrafts. Raggedy underneath.
Come visit me when I'm in Nebraska and Colorado sometime when I go back home to visit. I'll show you clouds!ShockedSmile

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 9 2013, 12:27am

Post #38 of 57 (106 views)
Shortcut
We should make a Lizst of good musical puns. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Sep 9 2013, 12:59am

Post #39 of 57 (98 views)
Shortcut
Dunno. Might be too hot to Handel.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 9 2013, 1:32am

Post #40 of 57 (100 views)
Shortcut
mmm. Wouldn't want to Foster any wild ideas. [In reply to] Can't Post

But there is no Haydn its an interesting project. Wink

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Sep 9 2013, 1:47am

Post #41 of 57 (95 views)
Shortcut
Not as interesting as the Elgar Days. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Sep 9 2013, 2:02am

Post #42 of 57 (99 views)
Shortcut
so happy [In reply to] Can't Post

.... to be the first to congratulate your arrival to the hallowed isle of valinor.

please write many postcards ('tho the mainland to valinor mail route is not very regular, so you cannot expect many from me, alas).

cheers (and congrats) --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 9 2013, 2:08am

Post #43 of 57 (90 views)
Shortcut
Excellent point Ethel - but still fun to banter about over a Tosti campfire. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Sep 9 2013, 2:29am

Post #44 of 57 (93 views)
Shortcut
Rock, man. Enough! (say it fast . . . ;D) You have the win, though-- [In reply to] Can't Post

I never heard of Tosti.Blush

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Sep 9 2013, 3:30am

Post #45 of 57 (94 views)
Shortcut
Can we please get bach to the point of this thread? [In reply to] Can't Post

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 9 2013, 3:37am

Post #46 of 57 (95 views)
Shortcut
Oh no... Good words, Ataahua... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so sorry for what your sister-in-law and family are going through. It's so hard to get your head around suicide. I have very close family that goes through dark depression that we have to help through just like you say.

*hugs* Hang in there.

Light the Beacons: TheOneRing.net's Fellowship Fundraiser on eBay!

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 12:50am

Post #47 of 57 (76 views)
Shortcut
I just noticed the change of scenery! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for the congrats or I might not have seen it just yet! Have been posting from work today on my phone and in a hurry so hadn't noticed ... you may expect some postcards quite soon!

WinkAngelicHeart

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 12:58am

Post #48 of 57 (71 views)
Shortcut
I would be happy to compline... // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 1:08am

Post #49 of 57 (71 views)
Shortcut
Haha!!!! Very nice Ethel... [In reply to] Can't Post

No winners! We've simply been very bizet at having fun... Wink

I think Tolkienia needs a daily wordplay game in the newspaper - maybe we can call it the Pun Run.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 10 2013, 1:19am

Post #50 of 57 (72 views)
Shortcut
Oh my! [In reply to] Can't Post

*gets out slender Elven glasses, pops corks off chilled bottles of bubbly miruvor* Welcome to the far Western shores! Cool

There's plenty of gift shops with lovely postcards, well, for the most part - just watch out for those produced by someone named "Ezpeleta"! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.