Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
I have always thought so.

squire
Valinor

Sep 8 2013, 10:15pm

Views: 178
Shortcut
I have always thought so. [In reply to] Can't Post

Every passage in the book that I can remember suggests that Gandalf wore the Ring of Fire throughout his time in Middle-earth.

That said, I believe it was a late addition to the story. I have no problem imagining Tolkien writing the parley at the Black Gate with no idea that Gandalf has a surefire "One Ring on Sauron's Hand" detector buzzing away - or not buzzing away, as was the case - on his pinky. I think it's more likely that Tolkien would have seen Gandalf as being in sufficiently general tune with the universe (with "The Force" if you will) to know in his gut if Sauron had taken back the One.

I've always read Gandalf's response to the Mouth - bring the prisoner out and show him to us - as a clear sign that Gandalf knows perfectly well that only one hobbit, and not the one with the Ring, has been captured. And the Mouth's sudden hesitation communicates back to Gandalf that the prisoner has likely escaped.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Subject User Time
One thing that always interested me... aruman Send a private message to aruman Sep 8 2013, 2:28am
    Fight on, and do not despair! Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor Sep 8 2013, 2:50am
        Tolkien's "Theory of Courage" at work here noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Sep 8 2013, 1:51pm
            I agree with both of your posts NoWiz elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Sep 8 2013, 3:08pm
                Frock and Sam :) // noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Sep 8 2013, 4:12pm
            Great point! aruman Send a private message to aruman Sep 13 2013, 1:51pm
    Aragorn the leader Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Sep 8 2013, 4:33am
        This is the Reading Room... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Sep 8 2013, 11:42am
            I am thinking of these passages... Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Sep 8 2013, 7:44pm
                Fair enough... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Sep 8 2013, 8:54pm
    Where is Sting? sador Send a private message to sador Sep 8 2013, 4:34am
        Exactly. Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Sep 8 2013, 8:36am
            Maybe Sam did what he nearly did and continued on his own. Hamfast Gamgee Send a private message to Hamfast Gamgee Sep 8 2013, 9:27am
    I think Gandalf, ring bearer himself, would know immediately if Sauron had regained The One Ring noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Sep 8 2013, 12:59pm
        Did Gandalf wear his ring? sador Send a private message to sador Sep 8 2013, 5:03pm
            Perfectly true: if he's not wearing his Ring, the argument falls. // noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Sep 8 2013, 5:07pm
            I have always thought so. squire Send a private message to squire Sep 8 2013, 10:15pm
                ring-wearing and ring-bearing and rapport with Sauron noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Sep 9 2013, 2:29pm
                    Ha! Blingless bigshot! Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor Sep 9 2013, 2:58pm
                        Not too hard to guess who the bearers of the Three are… noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Sep 9 2013, 5:16pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.