Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
How good is this illustrated book by Alan Lee?

php111

Sep 8 2013, 6:56pm

Post #1 of 10 (348 views)
Shortcut
How good is this illustrated book by Alan Lee? Can't Post

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forums, I just registered! Am I in the right section to talk about books? If I'm not then I really apologize I'm asking in the wrong place.

Anyway, I'm in the US, and I ordered a illustrated by Alan Lee book from the Amazon UK site even though I'm not in the UK. I am going to copy/paste the link to the book. Would someone please tell me if that book from the link is a really good book and it was a good or bad choice to make for me to order that book? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0261102303?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

Thank you,

BallyWhooo
Bree

Sep 9 2013, 12:44am

Post #2 of 10 (218 views)
Shortcut
If you like Alan Lee's artistry... [In reply to] Can't Post

then it is certainly worth your money. I have this version (among others) and like it very much, but then I love Alan Lee's representations of ME (and John Howe's too).

php111

Sep 9 2013, 1:06am

Post #3 of 10 (208 views)
Shortcut
I never own any books by Alan Lee before [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
then it is certainly worth your money. I have this version (among others) and like it very much, but then I love Alan Lee's representations of ME (and John Howe's too).

I never own any books by Alan Lee before. I always wanted one but I could never afford them. This copy among others I could afford, but honestly none of the other books. I hope I'll receive this book soon and most important I hope I like it. I always wanted LOTR by Alan Lee.

demnation
Rohan

Sep 9 2013, 5:35am

Post #4 of 10 (191 views)
Shortcut
I have this version [In reply to] Can't Post

This functions as my "upscale" version of LOTR ( the one that never gets taken off the shelf and read). It has its own book mark, and nice, thin "Bible" pape. It's just generally a nice looking book.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

CuriousG
Valinor

Sep 9 2013, 7:58pm

Post #5 of 10 (153 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, php! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, you're in the right place for book questions, and it appears that others have answered you quite well, so I just wanted to welcome you to the Reading Room.

php111

Sep 9 2013, 8:01pm

Post #6 of 10 (150 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you so much!

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Sep 9 2013, 8:27pm

Post #7 of 10 (142 views)
Shortcut
Hope you enjoy your book when it arrives :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

php111

Sep 9 2013, 9:23pm

Post #8 of 10 (164 views)
Shortcut
Some more questions? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Hey, I have The Hobbit on paperback. I do have some questions.

1.) Should I read The Hobbit first before this Alan Lee book I ordered?

2.) Based on the link I gave for the LOTR, could someone post a link to a copy but for The Hobbit?

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2013, 6:54am

Post #9 of 10 (157 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it's necessary to read the Hobbit before LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

Lord of the rings has a prologue to catch you up with what you need to know "concerning hobbits". Anything else you might need to know will be explained in the text (or if puzzled, ask here!)

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

elostirion74
Rohan

Sep 10 2013, 8:13pm

Post #10 of 10 (140 views)
Shortcut
an excellent choice IMO [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, you“re in the right section and welcome to the Reading room!

The edition of LoTR with illustrations by Allan Lee that you have ordered is an excellent choice in my opinion.

1. The quality of the paper is quite good compared to many other editions

2. Lee“s illustrations for LoTR complement the story very well. Provided that you like Alan Lee“s artistic style (which is graceful and subdued rather than dramatic) his illustrations will enrich you reading.

3. This edition has a strong and durable binding, so it“s likely to last even with frequent use.

My only complaint with this edition is that I would have liked a slighly more distinctive kind of print/type of lettering. It“s not difficult to read by any means, so it“s a minor complaint: I just wanted it to add more to the reading experience and feel less neutral; it“s a centenary edition after all.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.