Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
UK movie review of Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug Anual
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Sep 8 2013, 12:12pm

Post #1 of 46 (3013 views)
Shortcut
UK movie review of Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug Anual Can't Post

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/spoilers-pictures-hobbit-desolation-smaug-annual-012400174.html

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 8 2013, 12:13pm

Post #2 of 46 (1574 views)
Shortcut
Now clickable! [In reply to] Can't Post

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/...nnual-012400174.html

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Sep 8 2013, 12:39pm

Post #3 of 46 (1301 views)
Shortcut
The more spoilers I get [In reply to] Can't Post

Ther more I like what I am picturing on my head. I mean, I like Beorn implication with Azog, I like the fact that Azog is getting involved with shapeshifters, that is giving Azog more weigt to be there and a deeper motivation for Beorn. I like what Im hearing about everything, is the old way of adapting, like in LOTR movies, the shape is there, but some changes are made, and the shape is still there, the shape of the story I mean.

I am getting excited Im gonna see AUJ, right now!

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Sep 8 2013, 12:46pm

Post #4 of 46 (1230 views)
Shortcut
Oh! and about Gandalf...Thrain ghost? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or perhaps the Necromancer has taken Thrains shape to take some info from Gandalf...Im confused with this, perhaps he is taking another shape like in the alternative battle of the black gate stuff that was cutted out...

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

vinsanity
The Shire

Sep 8 2013, 1:09pm

Post #5 of 46 (1017 views)
Shortcut
.. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Dol Guldur stuff seems to be very trippy, i like it Smile

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Sep 8 2013, 2:58pm

Post #6 of 46 (989 views)
Shortcut
Animal abuse comment at the bottom of the article // [In reply to] Can't Post

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 8 2013, 3:02pm

Post #7 of 46 (950 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I can tell folks that this book is awesome. I got it last week and have looked at it a few times already. I've even played the ga,Ed on a separate sheet of paper to not ruin the book. It's worth a purchase if folks don't have it already.

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Sep 8 2013, 3:32pm

Post #8 of 46 (877 views)
Shortcut
looking forward to getting a copy [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice to hear. I ordered mine and I am still eagerly waiting its arrival. It's all very interesting and I get the feeling they are taking more chances with this production than LotR. I think there is more opportunity with this story than LotR and I am excited and hopeful about how some of the choices turn out. IMO, LotR was written in a style and came through the pages of a chronicling of last great epic of Middle Earth and was fairly explicit in describing most events. The Hobbit was created as a bed time story and looking at it through the voice of Bilbo comes across that way, a quaint an abridged version of the Quest of Erebor centering almost entirely on himself during the events occurring in Middle Earth at that time. I get the feeling that PJ an co. are looking at this trilogy as not just what was formerly centered in a camera lens that was zoomed and centered on Bilbo but a wide angle panoramic view of what was going on in Middle Earth and that connected to the story leading into the War of the Ring. How it translates remains to be seen and is dependent on their imagination and ability to connect with Tolkien.

I know opinions vary wildly but as much as I enjoyed reading the Hobbit, it never captured my attention and imagination the way the LotR did and part of that was simply the limitation of the story being told. I choose not to look at Tolkien's novels simply as stories but events in a living vibrant pre-history where the events being told are as there were related by those involved in the events but clearly their was a whole world happening around them, some very inter related but just out of view and some further out on the periphery. I believe Tolkien himself considered his legendarium his most important achievement so when I read something that denotes the movie will have events beyond the book, it doesn't bother me. I am still concerned about execution and if they feel they tie in to the story but part of me is excited as it may be something unexpected but rewarding.

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 8 2013, 3:48pm

Post #9 of 46 (860 views)
Shortcut
I think you'll enjoy it [In reply to] Can't Post

I got lucky and found a UK seller on the US amazon that had it.

I totally agree with that I think this is being looked at Bilbo's journey but how that journey leads into The War of the Ring. I think it's going to give us something really special to watch on TV. Plus we get that feeling of both being worthy of their namesakes.

I love The Hobbit but I do enjoy reading The Lord of the Rings more. They both capture my attention Because of how amazing both stories are though. I personally though look at The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings as one giant story anyways when I read them so if the movies are done like that in the end it's why I'm ok with it.

(This post was edited by Elessar on Sep 8 2013, 3:49pm)

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Sep 8 2013, 4:19pm

Post #10 of 46 (855 views)
Shortcut
Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

I am really looking forward to how they incorporate him in the story being told in the movie. Beorn is one of those mysteries Tolkien never really explained like Tom Bombadil but they were similar in many ways. Both had great power and were very connected to nature and both serve as interludes in the story where the heroes are able to rest and recoup.

The big difference is that Beorn makes a decision to be an active participant, much as the Ents in TTT, with his Dues Ex arrival at the BoFA and then becomes a Chieftain among men. Just as Pippin and Merry awakened the dormant but awesome power of the Ents of Fangorn, Thorin and co. encounters with the Goblin King and then Beorn roused the dormant but immense strength he possessed into action in the greater events of Middle Earth.

Two of my favorite Tolkien inventions are Bombadil and Beorn because of the mystery behind them, their great power and the fact they don't really to seem to fit into the more normal conventions of Middle Earth. More importantly because they seemingly were intended not to fit. I look forward to more him in the story but hope they can maintain those elements.

Eurolock
Bree

Sep 8 2013, 4:58pm

Post #11 of 46 (935 views)
Shortcut
The parts about Gandalf's magical repertoire sounds dreadful... [In reply to] Can't Post

Creating magical doppelgangers? Eh?

Worrying stuff. The portrayal of Gandalf's powers had been really well done by PJ up to now. Hope it is about to derail into Harry Potter territory..

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Sep 8 2013, 6:07pm

Post #12 of 46 (859 views)
Shortcut
so Gandalf is fighting a ghost...? [In reply to] Can't Post

in the trailers it shows Thrain fighting Gandalf, so their saying he's a ghost?

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Sep 8 2013, 6:17pm

Post #13 of 46 (859 views)
Shortcut
Bolg [In reply to] Can't Post

Isnt mentioned again,anywhere....character deleted ?!

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Sep 8 2013, 6:27pm

Post #14 of 46 (797 views)
Shortcut
Oh my, please no! [In reply to] Can't Post

All this ghost talk and magic tricks business i don't like... at all!

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Sep 8 2013, 6:41pm

Post #15 of 46 (745 views)
Shortcut
yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

The description of the Dol Guldur stuff doesnt sound like i hoped it would be...

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Sep 8 2013, 7:01pm

Post #16 of 46 (776 views)
Shortcut
i doubt it [In reply to] Can't Post

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Sep 8 2013, 7:33pm

Post #17 of 46 (726 views)
Shortcut
what? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Sep 8 2013, 7:49pm

Post #18 of 46 (688 views)
Shortcut
Bard - [In reply to] Can't Post

- as a family man makes him a bit different from the other exiled heirs of Middle-Earth.

At one point, I was a little worried audiences might see him as an Aragorn clone.

There are quite a few parallels between the Hobbit and LOTR, so I've a feeling that some of the alterations to the story were done to make them a little less obvious.

I've always seen Bilbo's story as part of of the greater events that occurred during his adventure. I was always a little disappointed that we were never told more about the Necromancer. (When I read the LOTR some years later, It took a while to realise that Sauron was the Necromancer from the Hobbit.)

And yes, I did wonder if Bilbo had unwittingly met Legolas. I mean, what was the likelihood of the not-exactly-outgoing Elvenking introducing his family to the little Hobbit - especially in the midst of several crises?

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

(This post was edited by Hanzkaz on Sep 8 2013, 7:55pm)

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Sep 8 2013, 8:00pm

Post #19 of 46 (701 views)
Shortcut
The one other missing part of the story - [In reply to] Can't Post

I personally though look at The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings as one giant story anyways

- I'd like to see on screen is that of the War in the North.

With all these 'new' Hobbit characters (and their potential descendants), that could still be a possibility.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

(This post was edited by Hanzkaz on Sep 8 2013, 8:01pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 8 2013, 8:09pm

Post #20 of 46 (691 views)
Shortcut
Beorn vs Bombadil [In reply to] Can't Post

I am as well. Since like you said there is almost nothing about him I believe Jackson will add some good depth to the character. I also like Beorn because unlike Bombadil I think he serves a purpose to the story. As you said he is active in events that help change the way this story could have gone. I think that's been my issue with Bombadil he just didn't fit the story and didn't really do much.

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 8 2013, 8:10pm

Post #21 of 46 (663 views)
Shortcut
War in the North [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the game that was done. I do wish Tolkien had wrote more on the War in the North as I think it could have been interesting and made for an interesting series of movies.

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Sep 8 2013, 8:12pm

Post #22 of 46 (677 views)
Shortcut
Where did you get that idea? [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't see any mention of Thrain at all in that article. From what I got from reading that, Gandalf's going to be magically creating some kind of decoy of himself. I don't think they were talking about the Necromancer taking another shape.

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Sep 8 2013, 8:22pm

Post #23 of 46 (670 views)
Shortcut
I didn't see that... [In reply to] Can't Post

There was no mention of Thrain at all in the article. In the books, Thrain was a rambling mess when Gandalf found him, so I see nothing to indicate that will be different in the movie. Gandalf explores Dol Guldur and comes across a crazed dwarf that turns out to be Thrain, who attacks him. There was no fight mentioned between them in the books, and it looks like the timeline's going to be tweaked a little (or a lot), but I've seen no indication thus far that Thrain will be a ghost, zombie, or any other undead type of creature.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Sep 8 2013, 8:26pm

Post #24 of 46 (696 views)
Shortcut
that Bulg was cut out [In reply to] Can't Post

Bolg is played by Conan Stevens who gave up his big role in Game of Thrones, you really think they would cut his character out?

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Sep 8 2013, 8:28pm

Post #25 of 46 (651 views)
Shortcut
i wasn't saying he was a ghost... [In reply to] Can't Post

a poster said that the necromancer might have been taking his form.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.