Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
The Evilest Villain Ever !!!
Poll: The Evilest Villain Ever !!!
The Only Real Villain is The Dark Lord Sauron !!!
Darth Vader
Lord VoldeMort
The Joker
Hannibal Lector
Freddy Krueger
HAL 9000
Joffrey Baratheon(Lannister) *pfffffffff*
aaaaand of course Myaself , The Witch King of Angmar !!!! wooohooo
None Above
View Results (57 votes)

W1tchK1nG
The Shire

Aug 20 2013, 10:42pm

Post #1 of 19 (475 views)
Shortcut
The Evilest Villain Ever !!! Can't Post

One Villain To Rule Them all , One Villain To Find Them , One Villain To Bring Them All and In The Darkness Bind Them

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 20 2013, 11:15pm

Post #2 of 19 (289 views)
Shortcut
Of those options I picked Voldemort [In reply to] Can't Post

as he killed with deliberate intent to enhance himself. However I'd choose Morgoth as the most evil villain because he took the innocence and purity of the not-long-born Elves and twisted them into Orcs, corrupting them into evil minions who in turn killed other inhabitants of Middle-earth. (Not to mention his destruction of Middle-earth and the Two Trees of Valinor.)

Sauron, by comparison, only followed in his mentor's footsteps - the only new thing he did was create the One Ring. Talk about under-achievement from an immortal nasty.

Which reminds me of this excerpt from Ufthak's Gandalf's Diaries:

Speaking of the Enemy, I’ve wondered before now why Sauron, and Melkor before him, came up with their “greatest” achievements in a very disjointed manner. You’d think that with hard work and continuous research they could keep churning out an endless stream of nasties to keep the Mortal Lands on the hop, but no. Take Melkor for example - after many, many years, he manages to twist Elves to create orcs. All nice and dandy, and a nasty surprise for everyone there. But then how long after that did he take to unveil his next weapon, the dragons? If anyone else had been running things he would have been receiving memos about performance targets way before then.
As for Sauron, he’s been something of a one-hit wonder, to my mind. After he escaped from the Great Liquidation when the Valar put Melkor and co. permanently out of business, what did he manage to do? He built Barad-Dur, admittedly, which is a fairly impressive architectural feat, although no more than a toothpick when set against Thrangorodrim. And he created the One Ring to control the other Rings, but as we are seeing now, that proved to be something of a double-edged sword. Since then - nothing. He’s bred more orcs and used other people’s discoveries to serve his purposes, but nothing new or original has come out of the Black Land for eons.
Compare this to Saruman, who after perhaps twenty years, certainly no more, of admitting to himself that he wanted to rule, has managed to cross-breed orcs and humans to create a very nasty new breed that can seemingly withstand sunlight and have the foulest tempers I’ve ever seen. A few years and he’s managed to iron out a weakness in the orcs that Melkor couldn’t solve in thousands.
Dark Lords. Bloody piss artists, the pair of ‘em.

batik
Tol Eressea

Aug 21 2013, 12:40am

Post #3 of 19 (271 views)
Shortcut
Snidely Whiplash! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing redeeming about that guy!

sevilodorf
Gondor

Aug 21 2013, 1:39am

Post #4 of 19 (271 views)
Shortcut
The guy in No Country for Old Men.... [In reply to] Can't Post

that guy was scary.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Aug 21 2013, 1:52am

Post #5 of 19 (288 views)
Shortcut
I put 'none' since the Emperor from Star Wars wasn't on here. [In reply to] Can't Post

He seriously gives me the creeps. He's the ultimate chessmaster, organizing everything to his evil purposes. Granted, the prequel trilogy... wasn't stellar... in some respects, but Palpatine still managed to fool a whole council of senior Jedi - including Yoda. That's some serious evil. And just when you think he's a creepy but harmless old man... he starts shooting lightning at you and telekinetically throwing giant metal frisbees at you.

Darth Vader was cool and I could take him seriously as a villain, until the prequel trilogy totally ruined him.

Sauron and Morgoth? We really don't get to see them operate enough to see their villainy. We are just shown their deeds. However, Morgoth wins awards for plunging the world into literal darkness so many times and coming up with the idea for monsters (dragons, orcs, etc.). Giant spiders, however, were apparently *not* his idea.

Elizabeth
Valinor

Aug 21 2013, 8:23am

Post #6 of 19 (251 views)
Shortcut
But, what about Morgoth? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sauron was a mere servant of this Ultimate Villain!

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 21 2013, 8:35am

Post #7 of 19 (278 views)
Shortcut
But even scarier [In reply to] Can't Post

was his hair. Shocked

Lightfoot
Rivendell

Aug 21 2013, 3:43pm

Post #8 of 19 (240 views)
Shortcut
None of the above. [In reply to] Can't Post

A tie between Morgoth and Ungoliant for me!Evil

(This post was edited by Lightfoot on Aug 21 2013, 3:44pm)

macfalk
Valinor

Aug 21 2013, 7:27pm

Post #9 of 19 (206 views)
Shortcut
Gyp Rosetti. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Aug 21 2013, 7:31pm

Post #10 of 19 (205 views)
Shortcut
HAL was never a villain [In reply to] Can't Post

He was given instructions that were counter to his programming and which drove him insane. It wasn't his fault.

malickfan
Gondor

Aug 21 2013, 9:48pm

Post #11 of 19 (222 views)
Shortcut
Other-George Lucas [In reply to] Can't Post

(Joking)
Wink

But seriously Morgoth (even with his leisurely timespans and rather 'you bullied me I'm angry now' approach to villainry)

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 22 2013, 12:40am

Post #12 of 19 (195 views)
Shortcut
Dr. Frank-N-Furter [In reply to] Can't Post

Just imagine how he'd corrupt the hoobits....

sevilodorf
Gondor

Aug 22 2013, 1:54am

Post #13 of 19 (203 views)
Shortcut
imagine being his barber// [In reply to] Can't Post

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Aug 23 2013, 6:39pm

Post #14 of 19 (177 views)
Shortcut
A whole lot of real life people were much eviler than many of these villains. [In reply to] Can't Post

Morgoth's goal is to destroy everything that exists because he can't stand that there's other sentient beings with free will of their own, unbound to serve him... or that there exists *anything* other than he himself. That's pretty damn evil. So he's my answer.

Joker is admirably evil too, as his goal is to turn others evil. (I'm only familiar with the movie Joker.) Though you could say he's outside questions of good and evil.

CuriousG
Valinor

Aug 26 2013, 2:01pm

Post #15 of 19 (149 views)
Shortcut
Hannibal Lecter got my vote [In reply to] Can't Post

Someone who kills, tortures, and eats people to "satisfy his own needs," that's an evil villain to extreme. He didn't have armies of minions to spread his dirty work, but if he did have, think about how much worse it would be. (Like Reavers on Firefly, if anyone knows that show.)

angelclaw
Bree

Aug 29 2013, 2:53am

Post #16 of 19 (140 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

About both real life people and Morgoth. Joker isn't any more evil than Freddy Kreuger IMO.

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Sep 8 2013, 7:58am

Post #17 of 19 (163 views)
Shortcut
Sauron's threat [In reply to] Can't Post

is the most fascinating because he's never truly there; only a heavy cloak hanging over them. However, Hannibal Lecter is one of my utmost favourites - especially the new one in the series 'Hannibal'. In Silence of the Lambs Hannibal doesn't have much screen time - the fact that he's behind bars makes it worse, really. The Hannibal played by Mads Mikkelsen is almost better than Anthony Hopkins - we don't see much of Hopkins' Hannibal before his atrocities were known. Mikkelsen plays the innocent psychiatrist so well that it scares me.

joec_34
Rivendell

Sep 12 2013, 3:45am

Post #18 of 19 (95 views)
Shortcut
Iago [In reply to] Can't Post

Iago from Shakespeare's Othello.

Elskidor
Rohan

Oct 10 2013, 1:36pm

Post #19 of 19 (111 views)
Shortcut
Funny [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Speaking of the Enemy, I’ve wondered before now why Sauron, and Melkor before him, came up with their “greatest” achievements in a very disjointed manner. You’d think that with hard work and continuous research they could keep churning out an endless stream of nasties to keep the Mortal Lands on the hop, but no. Take Melkor for example - after many, many years, he manages to twist Elves to create orcs. All nice and dandy, and a nasty surprise for everyone there. But then how long after that did he take to unveil his next weapon, the dragons? If anyone else had been running things he would have been receiving memos about performance targets way before then.
As for Sauron, he’s been something of a one-hit wonder, to my mind. After he escaped from the Great Liquidation when the Valar put Melkor and co. permanently out of business, what did he manage to do? He built Barad-Dur, admittedly, which is a fairly impressive architectural feat, although no more than a toothpick when set against Thrangorodrim. And he created the One Ring to control the other Rings, but as we are seeing now, that proved to be something of a double-edged sword. Since then - nothing. He’s bred more orcs and used other people’s discoveries to serve his purposes, but nothing new or original has come out of the Black Land for eons.
Compare this to Saruman, who after perhaps twenty years, certainly no more, of admitting to himself that he wanted to rule, has managed to cross-breed orcs and humans to create a very nasty new breed that can seemingly withstand sunlight and have the foulest tempers I’ve ever seen. A few years and he’s managed to iron out a weakness in the orcs that Melkor couldn’t solve in thousands.
Dark Lords. Bloody piss artists, the pair of ‘em.

Looking at it that way then Sauron was a pretty poor student, and just got lucky with the ring, lol. Poser is he.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.