Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Was Radagast meant to be in Rivendell in AUJ?

morro91
Bree

Sep 8 2013, 4:20am

Post #1 of 9 (1206 views)
Shortcut
Was Radagast meant to be in Rivendell in AUJ? Can't Post

I'm sure this has been spotted before, but I couldn't find anything in the quick search I did. If its been put before, apologies.

In A Hobbits Tale documentary, if you pause on some images of Radagast they seem to show him in Rivendell:

http://i.imgur.com/1fB9ro5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hSmwtEK.jpg

The first shows him in the Rivendell area that the dwarves stay at. The second is more based on the fact that Elrond (in the background) seems to be wearing the same costume as he did in AUJ.

If he was, what was he going to do there (he obviously wasn't part of the White Council) and why did they ultimately remove him?

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Sep 8 2013, 5:25am

Post #2 of 9 (700 views)
Shortcut
I never noticed those. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if that scene (or scenes) will make it into the extended cut. Assuming they're actually scenes for AUJ. Somehow I doubt we'll end up seeing it though, even if it turns out to be true.

Maybe it was originally shot as a quick meeting between Gandalf and Radagast before they went to the High Fells. But now that that scene has been moved to the next movie, having them meet in Rivendell would probably no longer be necessary or make sense, whether or not the High Fells is presented as a flashback.

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 8 2013, 7:48am

Post #3 of 9 (681 views)
Shortcut
Could it just be... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that he happens to be talking to Peter Jackson in an area of the set where there's a bit of Rivendell scenery? He isn't in costume, so there's no suggestion in the first picture that he's actually been filming near that pillar. The second could be anything - a break during filming of several scenes, perhaps.

I don't know, but it seems to me that he's someone who keeps to himself and the company of his animals. Otherwise wouldn't he have been at the White Council, to show the Morgul blade in person?

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Sep 8 2013, 8:45am

Post #4 of 9 (619 views)
Shortcut
i imagine [In reply to] Can't Post

that THIS should be the scene where Gandalf and Radagast talk to each other deciding to go to the High Fells together. Such a scene is missing, as an explaination

morro91
Bree

Sep 8 2013, 8:51am

Post #5 of 9 (599 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I do agree with this explanation, hopefully its in the Extended Edition

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 8 2013, 11:52am

Post #6 of 9 (549 views)
Shortcut
I don't think that Radagast was meant to be in Rivendell when the company was there. [In reply to] Can't Post

SInce Radagast has been added to the story, though, he might appear before the White Council with Gandalf to deliver their findings and to bring the full might of the Council against the Necromancer.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Sep 8 2013, 10:15pm

Post #7 of 9 (435 views)
Shortcut
It may be of no consequence, just same set area and off camera interactions, However, this seems most likely to me if [In reply to] Can't Post

it is filmed footage. Perhaps Gandalf and Radagast go before the council, two Wizards to balance out the nay saying of Saruman. lol

In Reply To
SInce Radagast has been added to the story, though, he might appear before the White Council with Gandalf to deliver their findings and to bring the full might of the Council against the Necromancer.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Old Pilgrim
Rivendell

Sep 9 2013, 5:34pm

Post #8 of 9 (311 views)
Shortcut
Interesting pictures [In reply to] Can't Post

Radagast in Rivendell is not such a bad idea at all. We know that he prefer solitary life among animals but the White Council is very important thing and it would make more sense if he was reported of the events in Mirkwood and not Gandalf.
In my opinion meeting with him in Trollshaws was not such a good idea, he should instead go to Rivendell and there meet Gandalf and the others but then again who would save our dwarven company? Perhaps Gandalf will meet him in Rivendell once he will be travelling back and there make a plan with him to visit the tomb of the Witch King.

Cillendor
Lorien

Sep 10 2013, 6:20am

Post #9 of 9 (294 views)
Shortcut
I really hope that [In reply to] Can't Post

the entire White Council sequence will be redone. I love that they included the WC in the movie, but the entire scene was horribly awkward. Galadriel reading every other thought in Gandalf's head, toning out everything that Saruman says. I hope they redo the scene and include Radagast (he could come in late after escaping the Wargs), not give Galadriel quite so much authority, and not interrupt Saruman constantly. If they do this, I don't care what other changes are made for the EE.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.