The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Want your design on TORn?

calisuri
PTB

Jan 4 2008, 7:29pm

Post #1 of 24 (44347 views)
Shortcut
Want your design on TORn? Can't Post

TORN DesignWhen we redesigned TORn a few months ago, we did so with the intention of being able to swap out designs with ease. To that end, we were hoping to have Ringer submitted designs that we could occasionally feature. If you are handy with Photoshop/Illustrator and have some free time, we'd love to see what you come up with! The following link will download a .zip file that contains our official logo and a Photoshop file of the site template. The Photoshop file has a layer included that should make the designing process a bit easy. If you don't know how to handle the Photoshop file, chances are you won't be able to submit a design! But for those of you who do, give your best shot and send it to me at calisuri@theonering.net. Please include your nickname, the source of the assets (original imagery) you used and if you would like to have your email/website displayed. The TORn staff will choose the best entries and randomly post them on the site. Have fun! [Download the Assets]

The Mysterious Calisuri

(This post was edited by calisuri on Jan 19 2008, 5:06pm)

Rabittooth
Bree

Jan 6 2008, 12:46am

Post #2 of 24 (28932 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

For some reason I cannot open the TORN logo in Photoshop (I think I'm using 5.0) it's telling me:

Could not open the document because the parser module cannot parse the file.

I've never worked with a eps file before. Although I'm opening (or attempting to) it properly according to the help files.
Any suggestions?

Smile

-Rabittooth

www.rabittooth.com

Rabittooth
Bree

Jan 6 2008, 1:48am

Post #3 of 24 (28968 views)
Shortcut
Like this... [In reply to] Can't Post

I want to go for something like this:

http://www.rabittooth.com/torn2.jpg

whatcha think? Cool

-Rabittooth

www.rabittooth.com

Altaira
Superuser

Jan 6 2008, 2:48am

Post #4 of 24 (28840 views)
Shortcut
Wow, nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

That looks awesome to me, though I'm not the final judge; Calisuri is. I'll make sure he's aware of this post and answers you here on via email.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

calisuri
PTB

Jan 19 2008, 5:19pm

Post #5 of 24 (29828 views)
Shortcut
First User Submitted Skin Posted [In reply to] Can't Post

Phil Dragash Design 01A few weeks back we asked Ringers to submit designs to skin TheOneRing.net. Since then we've had received a lot of wonderful artwork from all parts of the world. We plan on featuring one design every few weeks, so if you submitted something, please be patient! Our first skin comes from Phil Dragash. Among the many designs Phil submitted, this 'Aragorn' skin based on stills from The Lord of the Rings films, really stood out. (We'll be seeing more of Phil's skins in the coming weeks as there are many great ones) If you like this theme, please click on the 'discuss' link below to leave your feedback. If you are interested in submitting your own design for TORn, please check out our original request by clicking on the following link. Thanks! [Submitting Designs]

The Mysterious Calisuri

Radhruin
Rohan

Jan 19 2008, 5:50pm

Post #6 of 24 (28807 views)
Shortcut
Very eye-catching [In reply to] Can't Post

if you get my meaning. ;) I think it's stunning. Nice job!

"A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it."
~Chesterton

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jan 19 2008, 6:58pm

Post #7 of 24 (28889 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I am now a hopeless pile of drool.

Feel free to keep that design forever ;P

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 19 2008, 10:13pm

Post #8 of 24 (28782 views)
Shortcut
Thought you would like this one, Ainu Laire [In reply to] Can't Post

(I was just reading your profile) Wink
BTW, are you still planning to come and study in NZ? We could do with some more brainy and talented young people.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 20 2008, 2:25am

Post #9 of 24 (28840 views)
Shortcut
I love this. Talk about eye-catching! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

luvgabe
The Shire

Jan 20 2008, 9:37pm

Post #10 of 24 (28737 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful skin [In reply to] Can't Post

Love the "skin" idea! This Aragorn one is gorgeous. Thanks!

Emily_M

Jan 20 2008, 9:40pm

Post #11 of 24 (28775 views)
Shortcut
beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good job. Only problem is I won't be able to read the news because the gorgeous Viggo is too distracting.

LordPhillock

Jan 21 2008, 2:44am

Post #12 of 24 (28824 views)
Shortcut
Thanks guys! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, much thanks to all of you who gave me such compliments to the skin I made. Honestly, I have never received so many nice comments on a work of mine that I have on the internet. Yes, it's kind of sad...

I've sent quite a bunch (and still am making more Wink) designs for later!

Again thanks! This is my first forum post too! Woo!

Radhruin
Rohan

Jan 21 2008, 6:50am

Post #13 of 24 (28835 views)
Shortcut
Welcome [In reply to] Can't Post

to the forums! The front page really does look quite nice! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Hope you will join us on the rest of the forum boards, we're an o.k. bunch here. We don't bite.....Hard.

"A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it."
~Chesterton

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jan 21 2008, 10:59am

Post #14 of 24 (28704 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, your contribution to the home page is a great way to start at TORn! Wonderful done - I look forward to more of your work!

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 21 2008, 2:55pm

Post #15 of 24 (28812 views)
Shortcut
Hey welcome Lord Phillock [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm liking your skin a lot. The colour combination is beautifully balmy and highlights Aragorn well, being set against an evening in Gondor, separated by the golden TORn title and framed by Anduril. Very well thought out and conceived.

Are you a graphic design artist or something? Cool

KioRustleweed

Jan 21 2008, 3:50pm

Post #16 of 24 (28773 views)
Shortcut
Will you be introducing user choice layouts? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not that I don't like the new one, its very nice, but I do prefer the old one. Will you be setting up a way for users to be able to pick which layout they prefer?

jinglepig78

Jan 21 2008, 5:05pm

Post #17 of 24 (28852 views)
Shortcut
First user submitted skin [In reply to] Can't Post

HeartThis one is really cool. Please keep it up, you're very talented.

calisuri
PTB

Jan 22 2008, 4:17pm

Post #18 of 24 (28730 views)
Shortcut
We are thinking about it... [In reply to] Can't Post

Takes a bit of technical prowess that we have to research a bit - but that was intended to be the original option

The Mysterious Calisuri

ringers rock!
Rivendell

Apr 24 2008, 3:00am

Post #19 of 24 (28777 views)
Shortcut
Still going? [In reply to] Can't Post

user-submitted skins are a GREAT addition to the boards! Sorry, a bit new here, but are ya'll still accepting submissions? the conversations seem to have stopped earlier this year, but I'd love to jump on the bandwagon - sorry i missed the first!

Ouch. Fell off the planet. What's a girl gotta do to get some magic rope around here?

frodo-lives

Jun 19 2008, 2:02pm

Post #20 of 24 (28673 views)
Shortcut
yes, ahem, me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love to have a play with the design but can't seem to access the asset files. Maybe just temporary downtime, I'll try again later.

sorry, I'm a complete newbie to these boards (though have been following TORN for ages, but for some reason never signed up).

I was also wondering if there's a place for newbies to introduce themselves.

(this of course is ENTIRELY off topic. How's that for a first post. Blush)

Laerasëa
Tol Eressea

Jun 19 2008, 6:44pm

Post #21 of 24 (28571 views)
Shortcut
Hello! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sure- it's at the top of the off-topic forums (a sticky) here. (ah- sorry, can't help with the asset files question! I don't really know much about that)

Welcome to TORn, glad you signed up, and hope you enjoy it here!! (I do!) Laugh
-L

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying. - Oscar Wilde
This is a work of fiction. All the characters in it, human and otherwise, are imaginary, excepting only certain of the fairy folk, whom it might be unwise to offend by casting doubts on their existence. Or lack thereof. -Neil Gaiman
Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. - Mark Twain
You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. - Walt Disney
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils. - Louis Hector Berlioz
Don't use words too big for the subject. Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. -C.S. Lewis

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 1 2008, 1:57am

Post #22 of 24 (28800 views)
Shortcut
I have the assets... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if they're still doing this or not but I have the zipped file. If any one wants it, you can PM me.

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Blitz

Oct 29 2008, 4:13pm

Post #23 of 24 (29172 views)
Shortcut
Is this... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is this still going on? As far as submitting something for the website?
Im new to the boards, not new to the site. But im an artist and would like to try my hand at contributing if it is cool.

autumnrain

Nov 20 2009, 10:52pm

Post #24 of 24 (40021 views)
Shortcut
Found pictures :) [In reply to] Can't Post

What if we found a picture/photo on the internet that would make a great layout? Would that still be eligible?

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

QuickPost Quickpost this image to Myspace, Digg, Facebook, and others!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.