Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Announcing the AUJ Chapter of the Week (CHOW) Discussion- Introduction Thread.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

cats16
Valinor

Sep 5 2013, 8:24pm

Post #1 of 27 (825 views)
Shortcut
Announcing the AUJ Chapter of the Week (CHOW) Discussion- Introduction Thread. Can't Post

Now that The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey has been released, and The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is swiftly on its way, we would like to begin a weekly chapter-by-chapter discussion of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. We've decided to call it CHOW. (Thanks to Silverlode for the suggestion!).

As many of you may know, The Lord of the Rings board has hosted "Screencap of the Day (SCOD)" discussion threads for many years. Each SCOD leader has chosen the most evocative screencap from a certain part within The Lord of the Rings trilogy to discuss. These discussions have varied greatly - everything from changes from the books, technical aspects of the scene (cinematography, editing, score, lighting, etc), acting, props, and so on. Using this existing structure, we would also like to do the same for the new trilogy. This is, therefore, a thread to discuss ideas and suggestions for kickstarting a weekly thread in The Hobbit board.

There are 31 chapters on the DVD of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, however, there is no official title list. Based on the soundtrack list names, we have named each of them:

1. Prologue
2. My Dear Frodo
3. Old Friends
4. An Unexpected Party
5. Dinner Time
6. Thorin Oakenshield
7. Bilbo's Choice
8. The Adventure Begins
9. The Battle of Moria
10. Radagast the Brown
11. The Trollshaws
12. Roast Mutton
13. A Troll Hoard
14. The Hill of Sorcery
15. Warg-scouts
16. The Hidden Valley
17. Moon Runes
18. The Defiler
19. The White Council
20. Over Hill
21. A Thunder Battle
22. Under Hill
23. The Goblin King
24. Riddles in the Dark
25. Gandalf Returns
26. Brass Buttons
27. Out of the Frying-Pan
28. Bilbo's Mecry
29. And Into the Fire
30. Azog Attacks
31. A Good Omen

If in doubt which chapter is which, consult your DVD (hopefully you own it!)

The first thing we need your opinions on is the timing of the discussion threads. If we do one chapter per week, it will take 31 weeks to complete the discussion. That's great, if it wasn't for The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug being released! The Hobbit Movie board moves at rocket speed during these times, and we can expect well over 300 new threads in The Hobbit board per week during November through to January. As a consequence, some discussions will be overlooked and missed altogether. There are several options we have thought of, but feel free to add your own:

1) Start CHOW and run throughout the 31 weeks
2) Start CHOW as soon as possible, pause it in December (say, on chapter 7), and restart CHOW (on chapter 8) in January
3) Delay CHOW so that it coincides with the release of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug on DVD, so we can move straight onto that
4) Wait until The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey extended edition has been released
5) Other

This is all assuming we do a weekly chapter-by-chapter discussion, rather than splitting chapters. Thoughts, opinions? There is also the question of the day in which CHOW discussions are posted - do we assign a certain day (weekends are always quieter), or leave it open?

In terms of the content of the discussions, we will leave that up to the CHOW discussion leaders. It really is an open book, so we don't want to restrict anyone. Some suggestions might be:

- The use of CGI in the scene (or even HFR, if you can remember what it was like)
- The score and the soundtrack
- The props, sets and landscapes in the scene
- The costumes we see in the film
- The actors and acting
- General scene setups
- Differences from book
- A comparison with animated film
- A comparison with The Lord of the Rings films

And certainly, the list isn't exhaustive. We want people to talk about anything and everything they can think of - how characters evolve through the film, how and why the scene is the way it is, why Azog is alive rather than dead, and even why the Talking Purse was removed! Using the existing structure of SCOD, we are looking at posting a number of questions per chapter, and can be as brief and as detailed as you like. There is no limit, so ask as much as you can! Discussions can also include screencaps if you wish (this site has a nice collection). But remember, all posts must remain within the TORn TOS, especially when it contains number of pictures and picture sizes (you can provide links as well, if you'd prefer).

We envisage this to be a discussion of the film, and do not expect an in-depth critical analysis of the scenes. We're hoping for a discussion that's really diverse and engaging. We would, therefore, expect everyone involved to follow the 14 TORNetiquette rules. In other words, have fun, rather than criticise other people's opinions and viewpoints.

Since this is merely the "introduction" thread, we're asking for opinions and suggestions on the set-up of this. Feel free to PM either cats16 or DanielLB if you have any additional queries/concerns.

Once we have gauged interest, and people's opinions on the timing of threads, we will post another "sign-up" thread, where you can sign-up to be a chapter discussion leader. These will be given on a first come first serve basis. Hopefully we can get this started as soon as possible.

We're really looking forward to this, and hope you are too.

Thank you.

CHOW Team.

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Sep 5 2013, 9:33pm)

Thranderz
Rohan

Sep 5 2013, 9:05pm

Post #2 of 27 (377 views)
Shortcut
Cool [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd definitely be interested in this and look forward to it starting. I think a doing it on a weekly basis would be best because we could just do DoS after we finish AUJ and by the time they are both done TaBA will be upon us. Wink Thanks for doing this, will keep my eye on it and would be interested in being a leader, I'ts late here now but I'll be back on tomorrow.

I simply walked into Mordor.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 5 2013, 9:44pm

Post #3 of 27 (364 views)
Shortcut
Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

You are certainly thorough, cats! Smile

I'm wondering, with DoS coming upon us in a mere - what, 13 or 14 weeks? - would you want to consider doing a speeded-up version with multiple chapters per week, to finish up beforehand?

Or would you rather start with one chapter per week, see how it goes, and then decide how the pacing is working out?

However it goes - thank you for taking the reins on this! Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

cats16
Valinor

Sep 5 2013, 10:01pm

Post #4 of 27 (346 views)
Shortcut
Sure thing! And thanks!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy to do it.Smile Although I should credit Daniel for some of the thoroughness. Angelic

Good points that you raise. This actually came up during our initial brainstorming. Especially since not every chapter will receive the same attention. I'm curious to see the general consensus.

Glad to see you'll be joining us!

Smile

(This post was edited by cats16 on Sep 5 2013, 10:03pm)

LordotRings93
Rohan

Sep 5 2013, 10:21pm

Post #5 of 27 (333 views)
Shortcut
This sounds awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Whichever option you choose is fine by me, although I'd want to start immediately for the 31 weeks, just because it sounds like some neat discussions will come of this.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Avnar
Lorien

Sep 5 2013, 10:23pm

Post #6 of 27 (350 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

No offense but I hate going to the lotr board because of the scod threads...

All they do is clog the board up and you have to wade through them all to find a normal discussion

Oh well... It's probably just me and EVERYONE else loves them haha

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Sep 5 2013, 10:28pm

Post #7 of 27 (330 views)
Shortcut
Cool beans! [In reply to] Can't Post

This sounds like a great idea to help keep us busy for a while!

I think once a week is great, as it gives us something to look forward to each week without diluting our energies too much! Like many, I've got only limited time to participate and twice a week would be harder for me. I'd be interested in leading a discussion -- especially if it's a chapter with Thorin in it. Cool And as for things getting busy in December -- maybe just take that month off??? I do think AUJ discussions will get fairly lost during that time, and discussion leaders might be a bit disappointed during those weeks if their threads end up largely ignored.

Neat idea, cats and the rest of the team -- and thanks for putting this together! I know it's a lot of work to organize, so well done to you.

Nunilo
Bree

Sep 5 2013, 11:02pm

Post #8 of 27 (314 views)
Shortcut
This sounds like a lot of fun :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I really enjoy reading SCOD, but I agree with others that once a week sounds like good timing if you will be doing one chapter at a time, since there will be plenty to discuss. I think whole chapters are a nice/simple way to organise it, and they will be easy to reference if people want to rewatch just the one chapter being discussed.

Personally, I like it when weekly threads are set for a particular day, only because it makes everything a bit more structured, but to make it a little more flexible perhaps you could set them for anytime over the weekend? That would make it a bit easier for busy discussion leaders. Just my 2 cents. I look forward to this!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 5 2013, 11:17pm

Post #9 of 27 (311 views)
Shortcut
Looks great! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd go for option two, with a restart late in January.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 6 2013, 12:19am

Post #10 of 27 (288 views)
Shortcut
This looks great Team CHOW! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was inclined to say starting right away with a break for DoS may be the best way to go. That would still give plenty of discussion time post-DoS and pre- DoS EE.

Starting before EE still gives you time to choose two options: backtrack to the earliest EE scenes and cover them once it is released (since we won't be that far ahead anyway) and then incorporate them all added onto regular scenes moving in order. Or do special EE scenes at the end. (I kind of like the first idea.)

This sounds like a lot of fun!!!!! (*applause*) Great Idea!!!!! WinkSmileCool Will be glad to join you!

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

cats16
Valinor

Sep 6 2013, 2:16am

Post #11 of 27 (265 views)
Shortcut
Thanks!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't wait for it!Smile

Sort of a general reply to everyone else who has responded so far: thank you for your input! You're all raising really good points, and it's great to see the enthusiasm.

I saw the comment about it being too similar to SCOD: we really hope for a broad discussion, so it doesn't have to only be images, and interpretation of the frame. It's really based on the week's leader, and how they decide to tackle that particular chapter. I'm sure that we'll be having all sorts of discussions, whether they are spurred by the discussion leader or someone responding. Hope that helps! Smile

Kim
Valinor

Sep 6 2013, 3:03am

Post #12 of 27 (270 views)
Shortcut
Sounds great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks cats16 and DanielLB for volunteering to set this up for us! I also vote for option #2 and for having it on the same designated day every week. Cool

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 6 2013, 5:58am

Post #13 of 27 (265 views)
Shortcut
Sorry you feel like that. I think it will be different ... [In reply to] Can't Post

The activity in The Lord of the Rings board is nothing compared to the activity on this board (for obvious reasons). CHOW won't be clogging up the board anytime soon.

Just think of it as any other type of discussion ... Smile

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 6 2013, 10:24am

Post #14 of 27 (253 views)
Shortcut
Now I might sound daft but.... [In reply to] Can't Post

How will we know when the chapter in question, ends? I would hate to go too far into the discussion, and to eat up all the material for the next week. Will there be a running time limit like:

"Today we will discuss material between time index XX:XX and XX:XX."

It might be helpful for those of us that have a short time to watch the clips. Though I have the movie on my Ipod, so I can do it any timeLaugh.

Sorry if i seem to poke holes, someone should really remove all pointy things from my reach!

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Sep 6 2013, 12:31pm

Post #15 of 27 (221 views)
Shortcut
I'll be there! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd also go with Ataahua's suggestion of taking a break for a longer period of time with the release of DOS. I have a hunch the Hobbit board will still be moving at a pretty good clip even well into January.

"It was just a sword, beautiful in the way of a weapon, with the jewels in the hilt set in gold scrollwork, and the blade glimmering and eager, as if it would fight of itself. Weapons are named for this; some are eager fighters, some dogged, some unwilling; but all are alive."--The Hollow Hills

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 6 2013, 1:08pm

Post #16 of 27 (212 views)
Shortcut
This could be fun... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. but I would echo what Riven Delve said above me. I think it would be sensible to stop in December, partly because of DOS, partly just because it's December and it's busy, and it's disheartening for anyone to prepare a discussion and find no one's joining in.

But I wouldn't resume in January. I think there will be so much discussion still ongoing about the new film, and threads disappearing down the board quicker than you can blink. I'd restart a bit later, when the board quietens down and people start to get a bit angsty waiting for the next poster, the next v-log - anything fresh to talk about. By that time insights from DOS might also affect how people view AUJ.

Just a thought.

Noria
Rohan

Sep 6 2013, 1:24pm

Post #17 of 27 (210 views)
Shortcut
This sounds like fun. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for setting it up.

Option 2 seems to be the popular choice and it's fine for me.

But will anybody really want to go back to talking about AUJ for some months after DoS appears? Though it might well be a respite from what are sure to be some very "interesting" debates about DoS.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Sep 6 2013, 2:36pm

Post #18 of 27 (204 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Since it's "Week" I assume that if, say, a chapter starts Monday and noon then that means that the discussion for said chapter would end the next Monday when the next chapter starts.

The Grey Pilgrim
Lorien

Sep 6 2013, 2:42pm

Post #19 of 27 (197 views)
Shortcut
Sounds great! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm in. Option 2 sounds best to me.

Legomir
Bree

Sep 6 2013, 4:41pm

Post #20 of 27 (181 views)
Shortcut
Sounds extremely fun [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm in!

Queen of Erebor
Lorien

Sep 6 2013, 10:08pm

Post #21 of 27 (148 views)
Shortcut
Count me in! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think option #2 is the best, since once DoS is out, most of us are going to want to discuss elements of the newest installment of the Hobbit trilogy. Once a week seems to suit me better, but I have one question. Do we have to respond at the same time, or do we have until the next chapter discussion is posted? Not all of us are online at the same time, so I may not be able to respond on a Monday at noon for example. I'm usually online later than that.Smile

Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long-forgotten gold.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 6 2013, 10:11pm

Post #22 of 27 (148 views)
Shortcut
Sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant the movie chapter, as in the run time in the film.

Apologies for the confusion.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Sep 6 2013, 10:30pm

Post #23 of 27 (144 views)
Shortcut
Ooooh [In reply to] Can't Post

No need to apologize, after rereading it again I see what you meant. Sorry about that!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 6 2013, 10:33pm

Post #24 of 27 (148 views)
Shortcut
As with any thread... [In reply to] Can't Post

it will be "active" as long as it's on the first page of the forum, and will still be "open" after that, though fewer people may see comments posted then. So it's basically on the same time frame as any other thread on the boards. Reply when you can. Smile

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Kendalf
Rohan

Sep 6 2013, 11:47pm

Post #25 of 27 (140 views)
Shortcut
Nice idea, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

Firstly, would it really be best to base such a comprehensive discussion on the Theatrical Edition? Surely waiting for the Extended Edition would provide the greater scope for debate, especially as it would (we hope) feature a number of scenes intended to appeal particularly to we fans and also open up the further possibility of discussion as to what the scenes add to the film?

Secondly, would it really be best to start this now? As you've rightly pointed out, DoS is on its way and these Boards will be clogged with threads for months. A CHOW on AUJ may struggle to attract and hold people's attention whether it ploughs on regardless or takes a break for months.

Perhaps another idea might be to wait for the Extended Edition, allow fans to absorb it and then start this next March or so. That way, it can fill the (comparatively less busy) thirty-odd weeks in the lead up to the next Extended Edition, ie of DoS in November 2014, whereafter the process can start again in March 2015...

Just an idea Smile

"I have found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.