Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
What time of the year do you usually read The Hobbit and/or The Lord of the Rings?

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 1 2013, 12:04am

Post #1 of 23 (307 views)
Shortcut
What time of the year do you usually read The Hobbit and/or The Lord of the Rings? Can't Post

I'm curious to see what time of the year you all tend to read these? For myself I tend to start reading The Hobbit first then The Lord of the Rings in or around the start of November. Then I follow that up with watching the movies. This has been my pattern for basically the last 12 years.

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 1 2013, 12:42am

Post #2 of 23 (219 views)
Shortcut
I start somewhere around Halloween Elessar [In reply to] Can't Post

and watch the films at Christmas - very similar to what you do.

TH was always a bit of year-round, open and read from any spot. Its also my 'travel' book (ie: its been to Disney many times.)

Even before the films I read them in the fall every year - but after the films it really got 'set' that way and Christmas just feels right with finishing ROTK and watching all the movies.

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 1 2013, 1:13am

Post #3 of 23 (220 views)
Shortcut
That time of the year [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm thinking lots of folks will be like us. I just found myself thinking how many might be. No real reason other than curiosity.

I agree. Starting in the Fall and finishing with watching ROTK just feels right. It really helps set in the relaxation of my Christmas break and the lovely catching up with an old friend. It just feels right as you said. Cool

Meneldor
Grey Havens

Sep 1 2013, 1:59am

Post #4 of 23 (208 views)
Shortcut
My first copy of LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

was a Christmas present, so I think of it as something to read in a big comfy chair, wrapped up in an afghan with snow outside. But that doesn't stop me from reading it at any time of the year.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep.

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 1 2013, 2:05am

Post #5 of 23 (195 views)
Shortcut
That's awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

It does make the weather feel warmer when jumping into that world. The nice comfy afghan doesn't hurt either. I could probably read the books a couple times a year (and have) but I'm afraid of overdoing it.

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Sep 1 2013, 8:09am

Post #6 of 23 (186 views)
Shortcut
At all or any times of year! [In reply to] Can't Post

No seasonal pattern for me, as far as I'm aware!

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Sep 2 2013, 12:32am

Post #7 of 23 (180 views)
Shortcut
This is My Ritual [In reply to] Can't Post

I begin reading TH the day after the semester ends in Spring -- some time in May. After that I go right into LOTR and then the Silmarillion. This takes up my entire summer. I have been doing this for at least 20 years. Soon I will be adding The Children of Hurin to this.

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 2 2013, 6:50am

Post #8 of 23 (167 views)
Shortcut
Last year [In reply to] Can't Post

Last year I did the whole The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Sil (first time reading it), and then read The Children of Hurin. I don't see myself reading the last two again this year but may next year.

Meneldor
Grey Havens

Sep 2 2013, 4:15pm

Post #9 of 23 (162 views)
Shortcut
Rereading Sil [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Last year I did the whole The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Sil (first time reading it), and then read The Children of Hurin. I don't see myself reading the last two again this year but may next year.

I've noticed that Sil gets better with rereads. JRRT often includes passing mention of places and characters that will become prominent later in the story, and the whole arc is more meaningful when I understand the allusions.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep.

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 2 2013, 4:37pm

Post #10 of 23 (152 views)
Shortcut
I could see that [In reply to] Can't Post

Being the case. It was a bit of a rough read in spots the first time through but now I will know where some dry spots are and will learn to enjoy them. Plus enjoy the spots I did enjoy the first time more.

CuriousG
Valinor

Sep 2 2013, 8:19pm

Post #11 of 23 (145 views)
Shortcut
The Sil as great browsing book [In reply to] Can't Post

The Sil seems more episodic than LOTR, so it's easier to jump in and read a favorite part and leave again. It's rare that I reread the entire thing. When I browse LOTR to "just remember a little scene," I usually get glued in for a chapter or two. Not that I regret it, it just wreaks havoc with time management.

For some reason, the autumn appeals to me as a time to read LOTR since that's when Frodo sets out, and more largely, it's the waning of the 3rd Age. But sitting outside in cheery summer weather and reading it works too: that feels like the Shire, and it puts a dent in the dire circumstances like Caradhras and Mordor.

The movies seem like something to watch in the winter, since that's when I first saw them.

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 3 2013, 1:46am

Post #12 of 23 (131 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

It did seen that way to me. I may pick and choose bits the next time but I did want to read it from cover to cover once.

I love seeing what time you all read. I can see all of those times being good times to read it. I think I just associate Nov/Dec with Middle-earth reading/watching time.

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 4 2013, 11:21am

Post #13 of 23 (124 views)
Shortcut
Autumn and Winter :) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm curious to see what time of the year you all tend to read these? For myself I tend to start reading The Hobbit first then The Lord of the Rings in or around the start of November. Then I follow that up with watching the movies. This has been my pattern for basically the last 12 years.

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2013, 12:51pm

Post #14 of 23 (125 views)
Shortcut
Usually Autumn/Winter, [In reply to] Can't Post

I can read them anytime of the year, but I tend to read a lot of fantasy/adventure at this time of year. Case in point: I just started reading Fellowship a couple of days ago. Tongue

Stigmata Script, a bastion for aspiring writers - http://stigmatascript.com/

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

sador
Half-elven

Sep 4 2013, 2:48pm

Post #15 of 23 (154 views)
Shortcut
Whenever I find the time. [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is not pretty often nowadays.
I am also in quite a quandary, as my old paperbacks are in a pitiable shape. I have recently received as a present the hardback 50th anniversary edition, but it looks too nice and pretty for any reading which is less than reverent and ceremonial.
Also, I have recently picked up in a second-hand bookstore (an old hobby I have no time for, either, but I was taking Belladonna to a dentist next door) a complete edition of Plutarch's Lives in Dryden's translation. I have only finished the comparison of Aristides and Cato the Elder, and by the rate I am going, it will be some time yet.

(This post was edited by sador on Sep 4 2013, 2:50pm)

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2013, 6:40pm

Post #16 of 23 (123 views)
Shortcut
Whenever the muse takes me [In reply to] Can't Post

Or I feel de-Tolkienised( when I feel that it's been too long)

When I need to feel that there is still Great Lit. out there, amidst the sea of mediocrity that passes itself off as literature.

Or I have a relevant thought that needs confirmation from the source

Or just about any time I can!

Dame Ioreth
Grey Havens

Sep 5 2013, 4:21pm

Post #17 of 23 (102 views)
Shortcut
Anytime... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I'm feeling like I'm the only one wandering...
...or when I see big people picking on little people,

I pick up these books to remind me of courage in small packages and wanderings without being lost.

In these books, I see the value of humility, the fellowship of friends, examples of true leadership at its best, and the benefit of stepping outside one's comfort zone, among many other things.

It may sound funny to say this about a bunch of stories filled with doom and bane, but for some reason, Tolkien always gives me hope.

So my prescription for life:
Treatment: Tolkien books
Sig: prn (read as needed)
Amount: # qs (as much as needed)
Refills: prn

Signed : Dame Ioreth

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 5 2013, 4:52pm

Post #18 of 23 (97 views)
Shortcut
Welcome Dame Ioreth! [In reply to] Can't Post

I like your scripts! Smile Welcome to TORn and the Reading Room!

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 5 2013, 5:14pm

Post #19 of 23 (93 views)
Shortcut
Love it [In reply to] Can't Post

Your post is a good chunk of why I love reading Tolkien. Pretty spot on post for how I feel.

Dame Ioreth
Grey Havens

Sep 5 2013, 5:57pm

Post #20 of 23 (91 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've come home after wandering in the wilderness of real life with 5 children where Tolkien kept me from getting too lost in the things of life. I was a member of the old site back when Reverend was in the Reading Room and I was pregnant with my youngest when I drove 7 hours for Trilogy Tuesday with my older girls. Now, she is reading The Hobbit and I get to see these stories through the mind of a (very intelligent) child.

I'm looking forward to delving back in to the world of Middle Earth and wandering here for awhile!

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 5 2013, 7:20pm

Post #21 of 23 (97 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful to see you back! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wandered off for a bit myself, and then wandered back... and wasn't Trilogy Tuesday a hoot? I'm hoping and campaigning (Hullo SPJ!!! *waves*) for another one...SmileWink

I too am deeply loving sharing ME with my son as well. What a great legacy.

Dame Ioreth
Grey Havens

Sep 5 2013, 9:38pm

Post #22 of 23 (71 views)
Shortcut
Trilogy?! [In reply to] Can't Post

I want a hexalogy!

My family is already planning a marathon (complete with Lembas and Entdraught) of the 3 Hobbit films followed by the 3 LOTR films (all extended editions, of course) if the silly people at MGM/New Line/Wingnut films can't deliver. We figure it will take and entire weekend if we decide to sleep.

And I just realized that I hijacked this thread. My apologies to Elessar!

“Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 5 2013, 11:15pm

Post #23 of 23 (78 views)
Shortcut
It's all good [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope we get hexalogy or at least a Trilogy Tuesday for The Hobbit.Cool

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.