Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Weird place names, local dialects, and general all-around local quirkiness.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 4 2013, 2:16am

Post #26 of 57 (218 views)
Shortcut
I've been to Hell [In reply to] Can't Post

The Midwest Morris Ale was held in 'Hell' one year (actually Ann Arbor but the theme of the gathering was 'Hell'). One of the common instruments for Morris Dancers is the accordion. A bunch our accordionists recreated this cartoon by Gary Larson.

I wish I had a pic of the tshirt for that Ale. It was wicked cool. ;-)

Climax is 15 miles from where I grew up.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2013, 3:52am

Post #27 of 57 (210 views)
Shortcut
Ayuh. [In reply to] Can't Post

"So, you live in Maine your whole life?"
"Not yet."

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2013, 4:46am

Post #28 of 57 (198 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

But I've just grown up with them, I guess.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2013, 4:59am

Post #29 of 57 (197 views)
Shortcut
Haha! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

You'd never hear the phrase "was cooking up a storm" following my name; I'm an awful cook! Laugh But I'd be glad to shout you a drink. (My step-brothers lived much of their lives in New Zealand and Australia, they used to talk about something being their shout as in their turn to pay for something, usually drinks. Do they still say that?)

Anyway, that's interesting about reckon, up a storm, and tickled. Smile

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 4 2013, 5:40am

Post #30 of 57 (194 views)
Shortcut
I reckon [In reply to] Can't Post

it's your shout. Cool

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 4 2013, 5:58am

Post #31 of 57 (214 views)
Shortcut
NZ has the longest place name in the world [In reply to] Can't Post

Allegedly. I have no idea if it really is the longest, but we might as well just claim it.

You can see it here.

Remember that darned volcano with the impossible to pronounce name in Iceland a few years ago which was erupting and causing all sorts of difficulties? I wonder how many newsreaders ended up with ulcers. Crazy

FantasyFan
Rohan

Sep 4 2013, 2:06pm

Post #32 of 57 (216 views)
Shortcut
I'm from Detroit [In reply to] Can't Post

Detroit is a french word (meaning Straits). As it was founded by French Canadians in 1701, there are a lot of French spellings in place names (often from the French names of early settlers) but some of them have lost the French pronunciation.

"Detroit" itself being a prime example. If pronounced in French, it would be something like day-TWA. (Any French speakers please forgive my attempt at phonetics.) But instead it is dee-TROYT. It's purely a put on to pronounce it DEE-troyt.

Some have mostly retained the French pronunciation. "Beaubien," for example BOW-bee-ehn, where the last two syllables are not quite separate, and the accent on the first syllable is not very strong; but the eh sound is not quite as swallowed as real French. Similar to the example above, those who want to speak a false ghetto may say BOW-BEEN. "Cadieux" is CAD-diew (just a little bit of i before the e); mostly retaining the French but the accented syllable has been shifted forward.

Then there's "Gratiot" which, from the spelling, maybe ought to rhyme with "Detroit". It doesn't, for either possible pronunciation. It's GRAh-shit. The ah sound is not aaaaah, like a British sound, but rather a nasal version of the a in apple. We do have one other street newbies don't pronounce correctly - Schoenherr is SHAY-ner, again with the nasal a. And out-of-towners have no idea what to do with the end of Hamtramck. (Mentally insert an a between the m and c.)

Of course, I don't think I have an accent - everybody else does! But it seems that a Michigander is fairly easy to identify (we also tend to hold up our left hand and point to places on the back of it).

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 4 2013, 3:09pm

Post #33 of 57 (190 views)
Shortcut
compulsive me had to do the count [In reply to] Can't Post

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwll-llantysiliogogogoch = 58 letters (plus the dash)
taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu = 57 letters

the first looks shorter because all those Welsh "l"s take up less room.

and just for kicks:
http://youtu.be/bOb-XPZjUDA

http://youtu.be/Mp_aIHXzPoM

Go Wales.

:-)

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 4 2013, 3:11pm

Post #34 of 57 (182 views)
Shortcut
Bert & I! [In reply to] Can't Post

my dad loves to quote Bert & I.

My grandmother (raised in New Hampshire) said "ayuh."

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 4 2013, 3:17pm

Post #35 of 57 (189 views)
Shortcut
one more comment about Western US "accents" [In reply to] Can't Post

you can tell someone who isn't from the West by how they say "Oregon." Westerners say "Orruh-gun." Easterners say "Orry-gone."

My mother got a kick out of an East Coast relative who thought we lived in "Sea-tell" on the "Puggit" Sound, but most people say Se-AH-tel and PU-jit correctly.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2013, 3:29pm

Post #36 of 57 (206 views)
Shortcut
New Hampshah? [In reply to] Can't Post

Y' can't get theyah from heyah.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 4 2013, 3:59pm

Post #37 of 57 (183 views)
Shortcut
Song of Hiawatha [In reply to] Can't Post

Near me are some falls called Minnehaha Falls. In 1855, The Song of Hiawatha by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was published. However, Longfellow never visited the falls himself. He was inspired by the stories of Mary Eastman and Henry Rowe Schoolcraft and by a photograph of the falls.

I can't say whether the various place names in South Minneapolis predated Longfellow's poem or were inspired by Longfellow's poem but I suspect many are the latter. But all of these names are found in Song of Hiawatha:

Longfellow - neighborhood , street, school, park, historic house
Hiawatha - neighborhood, street, lake and park, public golf course, school, and the old name of the light rail running from downtown to the airport (now it has a number... oh joy)
Minnehaha (Daughter of the Arrow-maker) - neighborhood, falls and park, creek, street
Nokomis (Daughter of the Moon; Hiawatha's grandmother) - neighborhood, street, lake and park, library
Nawadaha (musician, sweet singer) - street
Keewaydin (The Northwest Wind) - street, school
Wabun (The East-Wind) - park
Wenonah (Hiawatha's mother) - school, park, street
Mondamin (The friend of man) - street

Standish - street, neighborhood - although not from Song of Hiawatha, Miles Standish was the subject of another poem by Longfellow.

Minnesotan phrases (although they are almost cliched by now and used to have some fun)

Ja, sure... you betcha.
Doncha know. (to end a sentence)
That's different. or... That's interesting. (which isn't necessarily a compliment. It's what you say when you got nothing nice to say)
Hot dish (casserole)
Uff da (Norwegian for 'oy vey')
Cold enough for you?
How you like this weather?

Highway 35 splits into two branches - one through Minneapolis, the other through St. Paul. We call them by the letters so it's

35-double-you and 35-eee

And we disregard the actual translations of foreign words. Mille Lacs is French for "one thousand lakes" but we call it Lake Mille Lacs.

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 4 2013, 6:35pm

Post #38 of 57 (177 views)
Shortcut
Now why am I not surprised [In reply to] Can't Post

that you would be the one to make an effort to check out the accuracy of the 'longest place name' claim?
I was far too lazy!

Ah well, Wales will just have to be our rivals in place names, as well as in rugby.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 4 2013, 6:54pm

Post #39 of 57 (181 views)
Shortcut
That Welsh place name is just in my brain [In reply to] Can't Post

...since I was active in the Welsh heritage community here in town for a number of years and one expat Welshman used to do a ceili skit where he taught people how to say the name.

So the 'longest' name was in my brain and it (my brain) is always curious.

I did notice when I was at one site that it didn't claim to be the longest name... just a 'long name'... so it's possible there is some other name out there even longer.

I'm sure Treebeard would love both.

RosieLass
Valinor

Sep 4 2013, 7:31pm

Post #40 of 57 (175 views)
Shortcut
Pronounce Saguache. [In reply to] Can't Post

Or Piceance.

Or Buena Vista.

Or Louisville.

That'll weed out them furriners! Tongue

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 4 2013, 7:38pm

Post #41 of 57 (175 views)
Shortcut
But hang on a minute, [In reply to] Can't Post

I just counted (using the place name sign on Te Ara), and it's 85 letters.
There are two even longer versions, one of 95 letters, and one of 105.

But apparently there is a place name in Thailand that beats both Wales and NZ anyway.

Now I really should go and do some work!

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 4 2013, 9:22pm

Post #42 of 57 (167 views)
Shortcut
It's a lot easier to just call it [In reply to] Can't Post

LLanvair PG...

" So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane? "

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 4 2013, 9:25pm

Post #43 of 57 (165 views)
Shortcut
But Hell is in Norway! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been there!

" So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane? "

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 4 2013, 9:34pm

Post #44 of 57 (167 views)
Shortcut
Brit or Aussie... [In reply to] Can't Post

When I lived in the states people I met would often try and guess where i was from by my accent and most said Aussie - not sure why but I've heard other Brits have found the same thing.

I'm also originally from one of the Cinque ports in Kent - pronounced as "sink" as anybody pronouncing it as "sank" must be french and was therefore the enemy...

Also lived in Scotland for a while - one word that confused me for a while was "outwith" used as outside. Seems to be a scottish thing!

sherlock
Gondor

Sep 5 2013, 6:50pm

Post #45 of 57 (160 views)
Shortcut
I feel like I've had this conversation before. [In reply to] Can't Post

I live in Annapolis, Md & my dad's from Eastport & he has some odd pronunciations like saying "ball" for boil. And we say wash as"warsh". Then there's nearby Balmer where some people say "warsh yer zhirt in the zink" instead of wash your shirt in the sink. I've also heard locals say "onny" for only.

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 5 2013, 8:35pm

Post #46 of 57 (143 views)
Shortcut
Talking of Cinque Ports.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sandwich is a good one, although the place name came first. There is a small hamlet/village in the vicinity called Ham (I kid not) too!
There is a place called Mousehole, in Cornwall (pronounced Mowzle) which I always think sounds cute
At the other end of the scale, I always think that Maidenhead sounds a bit dubious!Crazy

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 5 2013, 9:35pm

Post #47 of 57 (139 views)
Shortcut
Yes I know it very well! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 5 2013, 9:41pm

Post #48 of 57 (139 views)
Shortcut
Ah, another Kentish person... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm assuming you mean Sandwich- is that the Cinque port you used to live in? I know it fairly well- I've mostly lived around the Canterbury area. The town doesn't change much, but the surrounding area has changed a lot over the past 10-20 years

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 5 2013, 9:50pm

Post #49 of 57 (133 views)
Shortcut
Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

Well went to school there - lived in one of the surrounding villages.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 5 2013, 11:21pm

Post #50 of 57 (125 views)
Shortcut
Charles de Lint set one of his books (The Little Country) in Mousehole [In reply to] Can't Post

He's one of my favorite authors.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.