Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
All Quiet On The Warner Front...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

MediaMalable
Bree

Sep 5 2013, 5:51pm

Post #1 of 56 (2025 views)
Shortcut
All Quiet On The Warner Front... Can't Post

Am I the only person not terribly impressed with Warner's promotional work for these films? We're heading into fall now, and really they haven't been active at all, with pretty much no announcements, no snazzy posters, with the trailer the only thing to really go on. Peter Jackson, all on his lonesome, has run a vastly superior promotional campaign just with his facebook page.

I'm sure as we head towards the winter season the big last minute promotional push will come, and I'm sure there will some treats there, but I don't really understand why they've done so little to keep the films alive in the public consciousness.

Maybe I'm alone in this...

(This post was edited by MediaMalable on Sep 5 2013, 5:57pm)

Thranderz
Rohan

Sep 5 2013, 5:58pm

Post #2 of 56 (957 views)
Shortcut
You aren't alone! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish we were updated every so often with a poster or a picture. Maybe reveal a single photo one bit at a time? However, I have really enjoyed PJ's blogs! Smile Hopefully we are gonna get more content as we get closer to the release. Finally, despite not being against the character, I am very annoyed that most of the promotional content we have been given seems to focus on Tauriel when I'd much rather see Thranduil or even Bilbo and Gandalf!

Like the title btw Wink

I simply walked into Mordor.

(This post was edited by Thranderz on Sep 5 2013, 6:00pm)

Arandir
Gondor

Sep 5 2013, 5:58pm

Post #3 of 56 (962 views)
Shortcut
It's the deep breath, before the plunge! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty sure that once the next Vlog comes out (hopefully this month), we'll be getting quite a few exposure to DOS.

- There's the looming second (and possibly third) trailers in the upcoming months;
- The Extended Edition for AUJ will be with us early November, and I imagine the studios would want to try and promote both AUJ EE and DOS with each other, as much as possible.
- End November we'll be getting much hype and promotion for the world-premiere.
- After that, early to mid-December, we'll probably be seeing numerous 30-second tv spots that will lead-up right until the release date of the film.

Just speculation of course, but based on what has happened during the AUJ-fever, something similar will most probably follow.

Keep up your hope that one day, the marketing for DOS will be like an avalanche on the fans - and we'll soon be wanting less and less so as not to spoil ourselves and see half the movie before it's even released!Smile

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 5 2013, 6:04pm

Post #4 of 56 (908 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure it's coming [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe the second trailer for AUJ came out in the middle of September last year, and we had plenty of additional TV spots in the following months leading up to December. I'm really not too sure about posters. I remember getting a handful of them (none very good, IMO), but I don't know when those come out. What are you expecting in the way of announcements? I'm not sure what there is to announce at this point.

'Twas in the Land of Willows that I heard th'unfathomed breath
Of the Horns of Ylmir calling - and shall hear them till my death.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 5 2013, 6:05pm

Post #5 of 56 (936 views)
Shortcut
I hope the next vlog comes out soon. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't remember. When did they finish up with pickup shooting? PJ said one would be coming out after that, and it's certainly been a while since then.

MediaMalable
Bree

Sep 5 2013, 6:14pm

Post #6 of 56 (914 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I just feel like Warner Bros have failed to really emphasize what's unique about The Hobbit in their campaigns. A low point was the poster with the gazillion dwarves, which reminded me of nothing so much as the poster for the Muppets movie. The first Smaug poster is definitely an improvement on that though.

They have so much wonderful art at their disposal, it just seems weird to not use it and instead utilize relatively bland marketing. My feeling on the marketing for the first film was that Warner Bros (at least in the US) focused on quantity over quality, trusting that if people knew there was a new Tolkien movie out they would see it just for that reason.

By contrast, I felt the posters for Lord of the Rings were beautiful, and pieces of art in their own right. The trailers also seemed to me to be much better crafted, focusing more on the story and emotion of the films. I loved the first Hobbit film, and think I'll love the second one even more, but I'm just not impressed with the way Warner Bros is promoting them at all.

(This post was edited by MediaMalable on Sep 5 2013, 6:14pm)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Sep 5 2013, 6:19pm

Post #7 of 56 (930 views)
Shortcut
I said this would happen last year [In reply to] Can't Post

They want to have a large gap without promotion to avoid people getting confused. If they market film one and film two in one non-stop stream people could get the films muddled and when the second one is released people might think they've already seen it or have missed one and lose track of how many have come out.

It sounds silly, like people aren't that stupid, but really it suits the companies to keep the two separated by a large gap, just to make it as clear as possible that they are two separate films.

Arandir
Gondor

Sep 5 2013, 6:20pm

Post #8 of 56 (947 views)
Shortcut
July 26th [In reply to] Can't Post

according to Peter Jackson's last day Facebook update - so quite a while now and enough time to edit a nice 10 minute feature :)

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 5 2013, 6:24pm

Post #9 of 56 (865 views)
Shortcut
Ah, thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it had been a while. Maybe we'll get something in the next couple of weeks, and a second trailer following sometime after.

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Sep 5 2013, 6:25pm

Post #10 of 56 (845 views)
Shortcut
you are definitely not alone! [In reply to] Can't Post

I honestly was debating a post similar to yours a few minutes ago.

I have no objection to spoilers for myself at all- the more, the better! Wink

However, I am so sad that every day I log on to TORn, and still see no news on DOS at all Frown

It isn't TORn's fault at all-just wanted to clarify that!

It is WB, for not bothering to promote the film. You would think they would, given that AUJ grossed over 1B in the box office- whether a fan success or not, it was definitely a BO success, and that's all that would matter to WB.

Conventional marketing tactics for such a marginalized, narrowed fan base film (being high fantasy as a genre over something more generic) simply would not work, especially since it's been nearly a year since the first installment of the trilogy.

You have to get as much word out there as possible to entice non-fans and non-geeks (proud to call myself both!) to get their butts into the seats this December.

Back to school has started, and there are less than 100 days to go until the movie is released. IMO, this is the perfect time to start marketing. People are beginning to slow shopping and other activities that take away from tv time in order to save up for Christmas, and the retail "autumn slump" before Christmas has already started, at least where I live. WB should be giving people snippets and tidbits to keep their appetites going so that by the time DOS comes out, they will be flocking to the theaters in droves.

Plus, if it's less than 100 days until DOS, then it is about a month less for the EE. If they want that to do well, especially with only 13 (or was it 15) minutes of extended footage and entice those who bought the theatrical to buy the EE, then they REALLY need to get their butts in gear for it so that people will buy it!

You all are right. I don't think WB understands marketing at all.

Race is meaningless. We all bleed red-no matter who or what we are. What matters is the heart. For each race has those with good hearts and those with bad hearts. You have a good heart. You do not deserve to die.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 5 2013, 6:28pm

Post #11 of 56 (866 views)
Shortcut
Agreed about the muppets/dwarves poster [In reply to] Can't Post

That thing was awful. It made the movie look like five-year-olds movie from the dollar bin at Wal-mart. I'm not sure who is in charge of the marketing, but apart from the very first AUJ trailer, I haven't been impressed with the quality.

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Sep 5 2013, 6:30pm

Post #12 of 56 (840 views)
Shortcut
gap [In reply to] Can't Post

I am fairly certain that a 9 month gap is sufficient Tongue

If babies can be conceived, grow, and born in nine (oft forgetful if those of you, like me, have been through it lol!) months, then a film can be "forgotten" by the general public by then!

At the very least, it has been 6 months since the theatrical release came out, so even that is sufficient time.....

Of course, for us diehard fans, we will never forget AUJ (for good or ill Tongue)

I am more concerned that if people HAVE indeed forgotten about AUJ after so long, those ignorant (like my sister, who was extremely confused when the movie ended-she didn't know it was a trilogy or even more than one movie!) of just how many movies are in this installment might forget DOS even existed! (I sure hope people aren't that stupid, but WB has to take that into consideration)

Race is meaningless. We all bleed red-no matter who or what we are. What matters is the heart. For each race has those with good hearts and those with bad hearts. You have a good heart. You do not deserve to die.

MediaMalable
Bree

Sep 5 2013, 6:31pm

Post #13 of 56 (861 views)
Shortcut
Reminds me of John Carter [In reply to] Can't Post

John Carter was a decent movie with the worst marketing campaign I've ever seen, bland, characterless, lame. It undercut everything appealing about the film. That movie crashed and burn because it came from obscure source material most audiences didn't know.

I honestly think the marketing for Hobbit has been similar, but everyone knows the book and that the filmmakers involved are great so they showed up anyway. But the marketing itself has been pretty lousy.

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 5 2013, 6:42pm

Post #14 of 56 (818 views)
Shortcut
Seems okay [In reply to] Can't Post

Second trailers for blockbusters usually come out two months before the film, so we're looking at mid-October. Studios tend to aim marketing strategy at producing big numbers on opening weekend, so a late media blitz can be expected.

The big film marketing trend now is social media, and, as you say, Jackson seems to be doing an exceptional job. (That is, Warner is doing an exceptional job. You don't think Jackson is paying for all that himself, do you?)

Finally, too early can be just as bad as too late. Backlash from over-saturation can actually lose potential viewers. Snakes On A Plane (2006) is considered a classic case of a film receiving so much promotion that people became bored with it before it was ever released.

TL;DR: All seems to be working as intended.

“That hobbit has a pleasant face,
His private life is a disgrace.
I really could not tell to you,
The awful things that hobbits do.”

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Sep 5 2013, 6:44pm

Post #15 of 56 (902 views)
Shortcut
A missed chance... Just look at the Bridge Direct toys... [In reply to] Can't Post

I already critized the bad marketing campaign for AUJ. When I remember the time just before FOTR came out... You couldn't escape Middle-earth. Books, magazines, posters, action-figures and all this merchandising stuff was everywhere. Today? You really have to look for it. A thing that really annoys me is The Bridge Direct. These guys have the great opportunity to make soooo much money with toys. The Hobbit films are released during the christmas time. THE PERFECT TIME FOR TOYS. Why do they release their only wave of action figures in November? This year again. Only one new wave is planned and instead of creating new characters... they give us Legolas, Bolg, Thorin, Gandalf, Tauriel, Yazneg (who SPOILER obviously died in the first movie SPOILER END) and Bilbo again. This is mad, isn't it?

This is why I loved Star Wars action figures when I was a child. You had so much different characters, so many opportunities... some where only in the background and you could invent their backstories. With the Toy Biz LOTR toys it was similar. They made all the main characters but also a lot of supporting or backstory ones. My first figure was the Orc Overseer from Isengard and he's still one of my favorites although I still can't find him in the movie but on a lot of different PR material and even as a halloween mask.

This year with DOS it is the same. Nothing except for Peter Jackson posting the trailer, a few cool images from the set or his one vlog. Yes it's fall now and some books are going to be released and I also noticed a few magazine covers with Legolas, Tauriel and Thranduil... but nothing more. Can't wait for Disney's "Star Wars Episode VII". The "galaxy from far, far away" will be everywhere just like in old times. It seems that Warner learned nothing from their mistakes last year... Too bad.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Sep 5 2013, 7:35pm)

MediaMalable
Bree

Sep 5 2013, 6:52pm

Post #16 of 56 (801 views)
Shortcut
Good post Lt. [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with you, I think the peripheral stuff has been pretty tacky in terms of branding. I also think it's dissapointing to see the same recycled, poorly shot promotional images showing up on the magazines. Warner Bros being so stingy with promo materials just means we end up seeing the same stuff over and over again, and it's not even great stuff to begin with.

They could definitely learn a lot from Disney. Disney's handling of the marketing and branding for the Marvel franchise has been flawless. I'm sure they'll work wonders with Star Wars too.

I feel like WB's marketing on Hobbit has treated the film like a run of the mill fantasy blockbuster, rather than the mega epic global event that it is. This is a billion dollar movie, not Jack the Giant Killer or Percy Jackson.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Sep 5 2013, 7:07pm

Post #17 of 56 (800 views)
Shortcut
Quality is another thing... [In reply to] Can't Post

... well I don't want to start again and compare the lesser qualitiy of the AUJ figures to the better and more detailed LOTR ones ;)

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Faleel
Rohan

Sep 5 2013, 7:09pm

Post #18 of 56 (779 views)
Shortcut
I dont.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't care about figures, I just want the Hobbit version of Sting in toy form ;)

nhui06
Rivendell

Sep 5 2013, 7:14pm

Post #19 of 56 (768 views)
Shortcut
It will be okay [In reply to] Can't Post

I too want more Vlogs and a new trailer, but we are just in the beginning of September right now. Things will pick up in November closer towards the release date. We will have the AUJ EE, and more promotional stuff near the end of Fall. We just need to be patient. Early fall is usually a slow time for the film industry in general.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Sep 5 2013, 7:15pm

Post #20 of 56 (772 views)
Shortcut
I just took them as a symbol. I also could have taken... [In reply to] Can't Post

... books, magazines, games... was there already a pc game for AUJ? I can't remember. Where ever you look... they missed chances.

MediaMalable
Bree

Sep 5 2013, 7:31pm

Post #21 of 56 (779 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of video games [In reply to] Can't Post

EA made a series of very successful and high quality video games for LOTR. I can't imagine there aren't big companies clamoring to make high quality games for the billion dollar Hobbit.

But what have we got? I think there was one really low quality cheapo MOBA game for consoles, and some cheapo mobile stuff no one wants to touch.

Metal Slug
Rivendell

Sep 5 2013, 9:26pm

Post #22 of 56 (680 views)
Shortcut
Need, content! [In reply to] Can't Post

I need to see stuff to psych me up so that I can be terribly, terribly dissapointed again. Smile

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 5 2013, 11:35pm

Post #23 of 56 (604 views)
Shortcut
This is worth its own thread. [In reply to] Can't Post

Why are "Battle for Middle-earth" and "LotRO" the only two major games with either movie or book license that really used the potential at least for some time to some extent?! Some relatively okay action games - that was it.

Skyrim in Middle-earth. Why is nobody doing that? Why did this project "The White Council" never get out of the conceptual stage?

So, rant over and back to topic ;)

As for marketing: I am glad they take their time. I think DoS had quite some danger of over-marketing and people getting fed up.

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Sep 6 2013, 12:05am

Post #24 of 56 (589 views)
Shortcut
You're not alone [In reply to] Can't Post

I've noticed this too. It could be we'll be getting material soon, but I also wonder if Warner know how to market these films properly. It seems like they need work in that department.

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Sep 6 2013, 12:28am

Post #25 of 56 (592 views)
Shortcut
Video games [In reply to] Can't Post

There was also a game called "The War in the North".I don't know too much about the game, but from the little I do know, it was mostly non-canon with a smattering of canon stuff.

I'd LOOOVE for Bethesda to take a stab at a Middle-earth-based RPG, I think they are the only ones, besides maybe Bioware, who could really do it justice.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.